• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's in a name

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

Don't they give loco's some daft names nowaydays. Fancy naming a piece of rail technology after some fictional and stupid TV sci fi rubbish {Dr Who]. I've seen equally crass names on other propulsion units as well. If you are going to give a personal name to such things why not at least ensure they have a railway connexion. I don't mean calling a loco "Sir Willoughby Riche-Banker" just because he is a current director of the firm either. Or take a theme like they did in the past for certain a class and stick to it. Have sensible names not stupidity.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
In the case of Class 221s, e.g. 221122 'Doctor Who', they are all named after famous explorers. Other examples include 'Henry Hudson', 'Sir John Franklin' and 'Roald Amundsen'.

H

HR2

Coxster said:
In the case of Class 221s, e.g. 221122 'Doctor Who', they are all named after famous explorers. Other examples include 'Henry Hudson', 'Sir John Franklin' and 'Roald Amundsen'.

You miss the point Damon. The latter names you quote were all real and alive. The first is not.

Demps

well if you only had railway names on locos and units, there would only be about 10 locos with names (exageration, but you get me), and you say non-related railway names :o i know the majority of the fleet that is named are railway named, you only have to look at the 57 thunderbirds. I dont find the names stupid, e.g eagle on a 47 or illustrious on a 50 they all sound equally good, now when your saying 'rubbish' names i guess the voyagers and units, to say the least they are boring in them selves. On a extended note by naming a loco after someone is usualy for a good reason e.g. a former worker who has died etc. In summary i find the names of locos to be excellent, couldnt ask for more. Variation is the key.

H

HR2

No, no, no, I don't say that a loco or unit has to have a railway related name. In the past there were 'Stars and Kings' 'Cities' 'Patriots' 'Duchess's' 'Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen' But you did not name anything after fictional people except perhaps 'Sherlock Holmes'

When did you see anything named 'ITMA' or 'Fawlty Towers' or 'Sooty'? Let alone some TV crap called Doctor Who? If they must give traction daft names. Try 'John Prescott' or 'Tony Blair' or [the ultimate loony] 'George Bush'

Just don't use names of fictitious characters or things

Status
Not open for further replies.