• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whats in your bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

TackerUK

Ok i just thought id start this of. When your out taking photos of Railways. What bag do you use and what do you take with you in kit ect. Ive got a Tamrac pro bag and i have to say its getting to heavy to lift :D. So what kit do others take

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
I'll take the camera and more often than not a tripod. They come in very useful if you don't have a steady hand! I'll also take my spotting book, pen and pencil, just in case it's a quiet day on track and the only trains around are those operated by FCC, calling at all stations. Might get a few numbers!

ACE1888

Nowdays, just the main camera Nikon Coolpix 110, and a pocket Samsung as back up, and a few sandwiches, homemade of course and Lucozade, just to keep me 'on the move' when 'on the move', I find railway photography so enjoyable/relaxing, especially when i retired from number taking several years ago!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
What's in my ( shoulder ) bag?

Camera, spare films, small binoculars, bottle of ( tap ) water, something to read if the train gets stranded, laminated letters of authority to do pictures, notebook, haulage hit list, photo hit list.

Incidentally....

Why do so many people wear shoulder bags incorrectly by hanging them on the same shoulder as the side they carry the bag? that's a good way of doing their backs in and makes it easy to drop the bag - the correct way is to have the carrying loop over the head on the opposite shoulder.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
My Camera
My Wife's Camera
spare batteries
Rail Atlas
Plat 5. Stock book
red pen
blue pen
highlighter
phone
phone charger
bottle opener
notebook
current book I'm reading
Ipod
bottle of water
deodarant
sweater
if overnight trip change of clothes
magazine
breath freshner

Established Member
I tend to have a fair bit in my bag.
Usually, a couple of cameras (My digital P&S, my parents film SLR), a little tripod and a bigger tripod, sat nav, sunglasses, pens, collar, keys, bike lock, phone cable, headphones, hoody, a bottle of juice and whatever I've been too lazy to take out of it before going out :D

It's quite a mix :lol:

GB

Established Member
Since my bag was stolen last year I limit what I take. Usually just the camera and two lenses.

Established Member
More often than not I am out bashing as well as photting so restrict myself to one SLR with medium zoom lens (quite adequate for my purposes), spare cards and spare battery if away for more than a couple of days. Don't tend to bother with a tripod & cable release these days due to a steady hand, image stabilised lens and camera with high ISO settings

p118507248-3.jpg

(ISO 4000, 1/25 second at 6.3 for those interested)

Other items include money, rail passes / tickets, spare glasses, umbrella, sun and rain hats, selection of pens and pencils, diary and "moves book". Sometimes include a netbook as well.

Bag is one of these ; fantastic piece of kit which suits me down to the ground as I don't like the design of the usual camera backpacks. This one can be carried as a backpack, a shoulder bag or a "handbag".

EltonRoad

I've got a Lowepro rucksack-type-thing that is half for camera equipment and half rucksack. Camera and two lenses go in the bottom half and picnic, clothes and midge repellent go in the top half. There's an all-weather covering for when it rains, which is often.

TGV

The bag is a Lowepro summink 300 or 350... Anyway, inside is Canon EOS 7D with Battery Grip and 70-200 L fitted. EOS 500D with 17-40 L fitted, 50mm f1.8, 2 x Cokin filter adaptors (67 and 77mm threads), 3 filters (ND Grad, ND #4 and sunset grad), 2 x CF cards, Canon 430 EXII flash, 4 x Jessops 2700mAh AA batteries (best in the business), lens cleaning kit, portable lightning detector (another hobby - see attached image), pocket first aid kit, leatherman and the Canon IR remote shutter release unit.

Tripod is actually a Camlink video tripod, but at the 7D is such a heavy lump, the video 'pods do a good job of supporting it and also provide good smooth panning ability.

All that kit will have it's next outing next week when I believe Princess Elizabeth is doing a run up the ECML. Or if there's a thunderstorm between now and then!

Attachments

• Lightning logo.bmp
    448.9 KB · Views: 15

Ivo

Established Member
Camera, money, key, ticket wallet; usual kind of junk.

But also Bristol & Bath map, First Somerset & Avon [Bath area] timetable, AA A5-sized atlas, FGW "Omnibus" Timetable (priced at £3; my choice of words), and any other timetable I think might be useful!

I will probably start taking the DfT/NR guidelines along as well, and also hope to acquire paper forms of the NR timetable in future.

EDIT, after the following post: And also food and drink, usually formed primarily of Fanta or Pepsi and also several sausage rolls...

@ Neil: Git :lol: And based on what you saw you can take out "mobile"!

Last edited:

NLC1072

In my bag;

Camera, Phone, Pen Knife, Laptop (notebook size one) with wireless internet, NR COC/Guidelines, Ipod, Rail atlas and some food/drink.

scotsman

Established Member
Normally: Camera, Lens, Lens cleaning kit, camcorder, pack of cards, iPod
When Stewarding: Add T-Key, Hi -Vis, full WTTs
When TTI-ing: Add T-Key, Hi-vis, clippers

LE Greys

Established Member
Depends on whether it's railways or wildlife I'm after. One "bag" started life as Army web gear, with pockets that are perfectly lens-sized. It usually travels in my backpack unless I actually need it, I get strange looks otherwise. For shoots near civilisation, I have a more standard Lowepro camera bag, but it's not as convenient over rough ground (like the cliffs of Stonehaven recently).

Whichever I'm using, any combination of:
  • Minolta X-300 SLR body
  • 35mm f2
  • 50mm f1.4
  • 135mm f2.8
  • 200mm f3.5
  • Flash unit (virtually never used)
  • Light meter
  • Spare batteries, cleaning cloth, Calotherm fluid, blower brush and so on (removed if I need to reduce bulk)
  • At least one spare film

There's no room for my "new" (second-hand) 400mm f5.6, so I might need to upgrade at some point. The tripod has its own bag (which is falling apart). Anything else goes in the pack, which generally means water, lunch (sandwich, chocolate and fruit), notebook (pen/pencil in pocket), binoculars (when not around neck), waterproof and any other bits and pieces that I might need. The camera bag travels very neatly in there when not in use, to avoid someone seeing it and pinching it. Exposed film travels on my person, since you can replace a camera, but never the film.

oldrailbug

I don't carry a bag these days instead I find a Caravan Park next to a railway line and when I hear something coming in the distance I hop out of the caravan with my video and still camera to grab the action.

Had a few problems with weirdos standing on stations with a camera so I gave that up.

HST Power

Established Member
Had a few problems with weirdos standing on stations with a camera so I gave that up.

I try to photograph when the platforms are quiet (which isn't often) or alternatively, at the far end. I hate it when people just stand and stare at you when you're trying to get a HST on camera!
I've started to photograph more from the fields. It's easier, quieter, and you don't have fifty people gawping at you.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Usually my camera, maybe a spare lens lens or two depending on what I'm expecting to shoot, a spare battery, radio scanner (if going to the airport), some drinks and maybe some timetables if needed.

oldrailbug

In one day I had two separate incidents that put me off, first I had a bloke that was part of a group of three walk up and accuse me of taking pictures of him, I told him politely that I would not risk damage to my camera by pointing it directly at him, to that he told me he was going to punch my head in.

Two hours later I was raided by the Queensland Railways security inspectors that hopped off a train to find out what I was doing, with a video camera on a tripod standing at the end of a platform I would have thought it was obvious, it seems they had been monitoring me for hours but after a chat and one of them making a phone call it was OK, secret is to take a radio scanner and listen to the railway frequencies that way you will know what security is up to.

Track Basher

It depends how long I will be away if it is a day trip:

Rail Atlas latest edition
TSO National Rail Timetable
DSLR Camera with 17 - 70mm F4 lens
35 mm F2.8 lens
55 - 300 zoom lens F4 - F5.6 lens
Copy of the plan of the day
Small set of binoculars
Recently got a small half sixe tripod which is brilliant for carrying round
Notebooks for moves and photos taken (useful when trying to remember)

If I will be away af few days larger small backpack with changes of clothes and wash bag.

moonrakerz

I've started to photograph more from the fields. It's easier, quieter, and you don't have fifty people gawping at you.

You obviously haven't been to the field near the top of Upton Scudamore Bank........IIRC, when Tornado did its first ascent, there were 43 people - and two dogs !! :lol::lol:

HST Power

Established Member
You obviously haven't been to the field near the top of Upton Scudamore Bank........IIRC, when Tornado did its first ascent, there were 43 people - and two dogs !! :lol::lol:

No I haven't! I use the fields in a small village called Ickelford. You can get a great spot of the HST'S heading up towards Peterborough.

LE Greys

Established Member
No I haven't! I use the fields in a small village called Ickelford. You can get a great spot of the HST'S heading up towards Peterborough.

I'll remember that for next time. My usual spot is Little Wymondley or Halfpenny Bridge near the A1.

HST Power

Established Member
I'll remember that for next time. My usual spot is Little Wymondley or Halfpenny Bridge near the A1.

I've tried Halfpenny Bridge, it's quite a good place to go. There are also some good spots in Willian, the village that connects to Letchworth near the A1(M). The only problem is getting a car parking space as the roads are quite narrow.

chrismid259

Canon EOS 500D
18-55mm w/ lens hood (perfect for platform photography!)
55-250mm w/ lens hood (mostly used for wildlife photography)
Lens cloth
Spare battery
IR Remote shutter button
Tripod and monopod - sometimes.

In bag:
-flask of soup or baked beans
-bottle of water
-packed lunch
-book
-Dad's old Canon (If i'm photting a fly-by railtour or loco movement)

On my person:
-mp3 player
-beloved camera with spare batteries
-pen+paper
-mobile phone
-binoculars
-wallet

...and a tripod slung over my shoulder. A mugger's dream *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.