• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whats in your bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGVDUDE

Not Much; Sony A230 with Kit 18-55mm lens, hoping for a few new lenses by the end of the year
Lense Blower/cloth
Food/Drink
Tripod if I know a night shot is needed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chrismid259

In one day I had two separate incidents that put me off, first I had a bloke that was part of a group of three walk up and accuse me of taking pictures of him, I told him politely that I would not risk damage to my camera by pointing it directly at him, to that he told me he was going to punch my head in.

Two hours later I was raided by the Queensland Railways security inspectors that hopped off a train to find out what I was doing, with a video camera on a tripod standing at the end of a platform I would have thought it was obvious, it seems they had been monitoring me for hours but after a chat and one of them making a phone call it was OK, secret is to take a radio scanner and listen to the railway frequencies that way you will know what security is up to.
The worst I've had was an old lady shouting across the station telling me that I'd be fined for standing over the yellow line on the platform at Warrington Bank Quay. Needless to say I was not stood over the yellow line at all.

Also, most VHF frequencies on railways have been moved to private frequencies. The only ones I know of that are still in use are at the signal box at Crewe but even those are only used for communcation between signal box and EWS locos.

JD68

in my rucksack:
d-SLR, camcorder, spare camcorder battery, memory cards, mini tripod, monopod, phone, bottle of water, lunch, laminated guidelines for enthousiasts, sat nav, deodarant, tooth brush, plastic knife/fork/spoon, notepad, waterless hand soap, sunglasses, lens cleaning tissues, plastic bag to sit on, spare shoelaces

HST Power

Established Member
I always take spare batteries, notepad, tooth brush, lunch, a map, cutlery, lens cleaner, binoculars and my Iphone.

lifeboat1721

A Nikon D90 with a 18-200 3.5 Dx attached, With the option of a 70-200 2.8 and a 1X7 telecon, But that needs either a tripod or Wall/Monopod to lean against.

Spare Cards, Spare Battery, Lens cleaner. And Timetable so I can get Home ;)

Ian

TGVDUDE

I'm looking at replacing my old camera as well. Not quite sure what to get though!

I'm not going to recommend the Sony A230 as i find the fps too low at 2.5, and ISO noise too much, but as an entry level SLR it's served well i will admit and i'm suprised at how quick i'm growing out of it. :) Hopefully after obtaining the 55-200mm later this year I think i'll invest in the A33 SLT as i find the 7 fps quite appealing if anyone can recommend it?

TackerUK

As the owner of 2x Nikon D200 i say you cant go wrong with this camera and you can pick them up cheap now £350. If you do get one you need the grip.

HST Power

Established Member
I'm still thinking about what to get; I'm going out photographing tomorrow with my trusty Iphone. :p

bAzTNM

Some people here would say a knife...

But in reality, just a mobile camera phone and that's in my pocket.

lifeboat1721

The worst I've had was an old lady shouting across the station telling me that I'd be fined for standing over the yellow line on the platform at Warrington Bank Quay. Needless to say I was not stood over the yellow line at all.

Also, most VHF frequencies on railways have been moved to private frequencies. The only ones I know of that are still in use are at the signal box at Crewe but even those are only used for communcation between signal box and EWS locos.

If you take a Radio Scanner they "CAN" fine you for breaking the Wireless Telegraphy act. You are only aloud to monitor freqs that you have a licence to recieve.

I have a "Ham" licence and a Marine licence but that does not allow me to monitor Railway's or even Aircraft. The Police are getting very strict on scanners at the moment.

If you use one keep it in your pocket with an earpiece. ;)

HST Power

Established Member
I don't carry a bag. I just take my Ipod, my spotting book and a pen and pencil. I don't live too far from good photographic locations so there's need for heavy packing.

TackerUK

in my rucksack:
d-SLR, camcorder, spare camcorder battery, memory cards, mini tripod, monopod, phone, bottle of water, lunch, laminated guidelines for enthousiasts, sat nav, deodarant, tooth brush, plastic knife/fork/spoon, notepad, waterless hand soap, sunglasses, lens cleaning tissues, plastic bag to sit on, spare shoelaces

OK i may seem a thicko but why a sat nav ?

TicketMan

I don't photograph trains anymore - everything I used to like has gone to the great razorblade factory in the sky <D

I now focus my attention on aircraft as evidenced by my avatar...

My Lowepro backpack contains:
Nikon D90 with battery grip
Nikkor 70-300mm AF-S VR f4.5-5.6G
Nikkor 18-105mm AF-S DX f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikkor 50mm AF f1.8 (doesn't get much use these days)
Half a dozen 8GB SDHC cards (can never have too many)
Couple of lens cloths
Lens brush
Spare battery / charger
Latest Manchester Airport timetable book (or printouts off t'internet if going elsewhere)
Digital scanner
Spare batteries for scanner
Binoculars
Large bottle water
Biccies
Share size bag of skittles
Assorted pens + notepad
Train and bus timetables
Lynx
GPS Receiver if going somewhere new

Oh and just found a winning lottery scratchcard at the bottom :D (only £2 tho)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK i may seem a thicko but why a sat nav ?

More to the point spare shoelaces is taking 'be prepared' to extremes :lol:

chrismid259

I think mine deserves an update, considering the fact that much more stuff has been added and bigger bag introduced.

• Lowepro Nova 200
  • Canon EOS 500D
  • Canon Battery Grip BG-E5
  • Canon Battery Pack LP-E5 x2
  • 18-55mm lens
  • 55-250mm lens
  • 16GB SDHC card
  • 8GB SDHC card
  • 4GB SDHC card
  • Speedlite 430EX II
  • Diffuser
  • Canon RC-6 IR remote
  • Hoya ND400 filter
  • Hoya Circular Polariser filter
  • Canon Protect filter x2
  • Miranda Compact Tripod MT3
  • Manfrotto monopod
  • Uniden Air Band Radio
  • Blower brush
  • Spare rechargable batteries

Last edited:

Grantham

Camera, a two year old Kodak 8.2 megapixel thingy (cheap point and shoot, which suits my limited photography skills)
Tripod if I'm on a serious photo trip, I leave it at home often.
WB radio (work issue)
Food: sandwich materials, maybe some frozen schnitzels and instant mash potato if we can get near a hotplate and boiling water
Cooking equipment: cooking oil, utensils, salt, instant gravy
Something to drink: water, coffee, and sometimes beer if practical (ie I don't have to drive the car or train)
Train magazines and a novel
Notebook and writing sticks
Clothes and toiletaries if it's a multiple day journey
Occasionally a model train project to fiddle with on long waits, a kit and hand tools to build it with most often. Sometimes a loco needing stripping, cleaning and reassembling.

TGVDUDE

I've now been using my new Sony Alpha 50mm f1.8 for around a month now, it's a very sharp lens and i'd recommend it :)

ChrisCooper

Established Member
If you take a Radio Scanner they "CAN" fine you for breaking the Wireless Telegraphy act. You are only aloud to monitor freqs that you have a licence to recieve.

I have a "Ham" licence and a Marine licence but that does not allow me to monitor Railway's or even Aircraft. The Police are getting very strict on scanners at the moment.

Are they? I always thought it was one of those laws that was considered outdated and that the police didn't bother to enforce. The UK is AFAIK the only country in the western world to have a law like that, even the security paranoid USA has no problem with scanners, and there are sites where live ATC feeds are broadcast online. The only time the police have really had problems with scanners is when their own frequencies could be listened in to, but now they are all digital and encrypted. Would be interesting to know what justification they would have for suddenly changing their minds (surely not that big bad wolf security again?). Procesution must be difficult too, afterall possetion of a scanner is not an offense, the only real evidance of an "offense" would be if the person had frequencies they were not licenced to programmed in, yet these frequencies are freely avaliable all over the place.

JamesHorrell

i use a Karrimor Walking Bag which i put my big Tripod,Camers.Spare Batterys, Bottle of Water or couple cans of coke or fizzy pop and a notebook

chrismid259

Sorry, didn't see this reply.

I see your point, but I don't understand why these scanners are on sale if it's not aloud? Seems silly! I only regularly listen to marine (in my case Port of Liverpool) and the majority of the time I listen at home, occasionally I'll take it out with me when ship spotting but that is all.

TackerUK

Snowchains and studded tyres are illegal in the UK. But you can still buy them

Status
Not open for further replies.