• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's supposed to happen if there's unscheduled bustitution and you have a bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
Obviously leaving someone stranded isn't acceptable.

But what kind of transport would you suggest? And at what cost?
That's the TOC's problem. Otherwise you're basically saying its a lottery whether someone is actually going to get where theyre going, even if they have checked out any bike restrictions beforehand. That amounts to a virtual ban on bikes as far as I can see.

Pay for a taxi; stick the bike in the boot, have it follow the bus. Sorted.

What if they don't have the money for a taxi?

Nym

Established Member
Call a minibus...

If it's a substitution for something that can normally carry bikes, then they should be carried, the same for anything that would normally be carried but can't be on a coach.

If it's always a bus, or a planned engineering work then sod em, provided theres enough notice.

Pumbaa

Established Member
A bike won't fit.

Now what?

Bigger taxi!

Seriously though, it's happened with me once. Bustitution Crewe - Liverpool, coach wouldn't take it. Taxi turned up, was too small. Bigger taxi turned up (Mercedes Vito) - sorted.

And he took me home as well!

stut

Established Member
I suppose it all depends where and when you get stuck. There's about 6 taxis in total in this town, one of which is a London-style cab, and two MPVs. They do a lot of airport runs, so you need to book about a day in advance to be guaranteed a pick-up.

You can get one from the next town along, of course, but that'll cost you time and money...

Michael.Y

Established Member
See edit to my post - the TOC pays for the taxi.

How big are these bikes that they won't fit in the back of a car with the seats down and you sat in the front with the driver? :?

Pumbaa

Established Member
In fairness I had just come back from 4 weeks of field research, so I had all sorts of specimens, kit bags, boxes etc. The driver didn't even bother trying in fairness, just phoned for a colleague.

brianthegiant

See edit to my post - the TOC pays for the taxi.

I agree, most places have taxi minibuses available, or hackney cabs.
I once got sent from Derby - Loughborough at TOC expense in a hackney cab with my road bike.

On the subject of negotiating with rail replacement coach drivers.. it helps if your bike is clean.... (National Express drivers expect folding bikes to be in a bag/box for similar reasons). However I've noticed that Arriva now use buses rather than coaches which screws any chance of negotiating on with a full size bike.

In general I would encourage cycle users to join their local cycle campaign to lobby collectively for better facilities for cyclists, our local group always sends a representative to TOC stakeholder meetings
see http://www.cyclenation.org.uk/
or if there isn't one, the ctc: http://ctc.org.uk/

sbt

If the bike can't be conveyed then shurely the TOC should provide secure storage until it can? Ideally the bike should follow the owner to their destination as soon as services resume or transport can be arranged.

krisk

Its a train not a bicycle conveying unit, sweet baby Jesus

Don't even start me on fold down bikes

stut

Established Member
Its a train not a bicycle conveying unit, sweet baby Jesus

Don't even start me on fold down bikes

Oh go on, I could do with a laugh.

Why not go on to mention how we cycle on the pavements and jump lights, too? Oh, and don't pay "road tax". That's always a good one.

Oh, and it's very flattering, but I'm not the son of god.

krisk

Road tax, nah

Bikes on pavements = issue

Ive seen people load bikes on trains and block carriages and vestibules, if you want a bike on a train then reserve and pay for a reservation, its oversized luggage after all.

Turn up at the airport and see what they say.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am not anti-cycling, or else I couldn't cycle myself (albeit rarely and never on a train), but I do have issues with full sized bikes on trains - mostly with inconsiderate owners who won't move them for others.

Folding bikes are fine, and if they can replace a car at one or both ends, then what's the harm?

Jumping lights - I have a big problem with that, as well as riding fast on pavements. A massive problem in London, less so elsewhere - but it ****es me off as both a cyclist but more often as a pedestrian.

Another issue, as a motorist, is the many cyclists that now ride the wrong way down one way streets and seem not in the slightest bit bothered about motorists not expecting to encounter them, or even pedestrians that may not look (yes, they should but that's still no excuse).

Despite my moans against a sizeable number of arrogant cyclists, if a train is suddenly replaced with a bus and no notice was given, the TOC should find a way to transport it or - if accepted by the bike owner - looked after to be collected the next day (e.g a commuter who may be happy with that arrangement).

stut

Established Member
Road tax, nah

Bikes on pavements = issue

Despite this, several councils seem to have a particular love of creating "shared use" paths - pavements where you're directed to cycle. Generally very badly signed at that. Which seems foolish.

But I agree, cyclists on busy pavements, with disregard to pedestrians, is downright wrong.

Ive seen people load bikes on trains and block carriages and vestibules, if you want a bike on a train then reserve and pay for a reservation, its oversized luggage after all.

Well, surely that's a case for peak time restrictions (which exist) or clearly stating where you can store a bike (which rarely exists). In my case, I usually travel with my bike on unreservable 8-car trains, against the flow, running at I'd guess around 10% capacity, with the bike stored against tip-up seats. Can't see the problem, really.

Turn up at the airport and see what they say.

Well, you have to part-deflate the tyres, remove the pedals and turn the handlebars so they're in line with the frame. Then you check it in as any other sporting equipment, usually included in your luggage allowance.

krisk

Cyclists are a pain in the arse - cycling on pavements, jumping lights, no lights on the bike then claiming hardship

Want a bike on the train then book a reservation, not see your arse when you cant just throw it on anyway

Cyclists are on a par with vegans and those with a wheat allergy.

stut

Established Member
Cyclists are a pain in the arse - cycling on pavements, jumping lights, no lights on the bike then claiming hardship

Want a bike on the train then book a reservation, not see your arse when you cant just throw it on anyway

It's our own Poundshop Jeremy Clarkson!

Let me know how to book a reservation on a First Capital Connect train.

Inconsiderate idiots are inconsiderate idiots no matter their transport of choice, whether it's a light-jumping cyclist, a speedophile motorist, a won't-stop-for-anyone pedestrian or a paid-up, feet-on-seats-and-loud-music-blaring train passenger.

You do seem a little irritable, though. Have you considered being tested for coeliac disease?

stut

Established Member
Tired too? Have you considered increasing your wholegrain and pulse intake?

stut

Established Member
Hahaha, nice one.

You need to pace yourself as a beginner, though. That said, if you tire yourself out, you can always get the train back...

jopsuk

Veteran Member

Cliche cliche cliche cliche clich and generally utter, rabid, rubbish.

Dolive22

They do seem to have a get out with the NRCOC. They could actually get the bike sent on. Royal Mail Sameday claim to make 98% of pickups within 1 hour, and the smallest vehicle they send is a small van. It would be pricey, but not necessarily that much more than a walk up fare for a similar journey.

brianthegiant

Yes, I recall someone having a whinge at me in the canteen recently about cyclists on pavements, then later on in the conversation he was bragging about doing 140 mph through Milton Keynes....

I just dont get why some people in this country have such a big problem with cyclists? is it a cover for some inner inadequacy?

Bungle73

On Moderation
is it a cover for some inner inadequacy?
^This.

It's not like cyclists are the only ones that do naughty things; and if they do it's usually them who is likely to come off worst. A far bigger problem is inept drivers, who when they do something wrong someone is likely to end up dead. Only recently I was nearly run over on a zebra crossing by a driver who wasn't paying attention and failed to stop when the other lane had (it was 2 lanes each way). :roll:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I just dont get why some people in this country have such a big problem with cyclists? is it a cover for some inner inadequacy?

I am not against cyclists, but I have a big problem with the ones that break the law - just like anyone that blatantly shows a disregard for laws.

Why should some cyclists believe they're better than the rest of us (as if they know that someone on foot or in a car doesn't also cycle) and then decide that they know best - and so if they drive on a pavement, jump lights or go the wrong way down a one way street, they're in full control and perfectly safe (even possibly safer).

Like a motorist taking risks, it's all fine until something unexpected happens.

For example, why do people cycle along high streets on the pavement when they can't possibly know if someone is going to step out of a shop and straight into their path? This happened a year or two ago in Hatfield, when someone was hit at high speed coming out of Asda - and nearly died.

No need to justify their bad actions by saying other people are worse. That's irrelevant. I am sure there are many threads about bad motorists to comment on!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The thing, almost anywhere on the internet, as soon as cycling is mentioned, the same whines about the minoority (and it really is a minority, albeit sizeable) of idiots crop up, as if it is a problem that us reposnible cyclists can actually do anything about. The idiots seem to be used as a stick to beat those of us who aren't idiots with.

basically: What relevance does the fact that some cyclists ride without lights, along pavements and jump red lights have on the subject of carrying bikes on emergency rail replacement services? Answer- none whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.