• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the best book on London Underground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaxmanValenta

Hi
What's the best books on the London Underground with lots of pictures diagrams and cutaways, does anyone know which books are like this, name and author. ( but not Haynes London Underground)? I've seen several on amazon, world of books etc but you can't always see what they're like inside.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carl Caulkett

My favorite book as a tube obsessed kid was always "From Steam to Silver", a history of the Metropolitan and other sub-surface lines.

John Webb

Established Member
"Capital Transport Publishing" do a large number of books on the London Underground. I find them well-written and illustrated, including maps etc. My favourite is 'By tube beyond Edgware' about the proposed and partly-built extension of the Northern line from the Edgware terminus to a new depot at Aldenham and a new terminus on the outskirts of Bushy - some works were carried out but stopped in 1939 when WW2 started, never to be finished.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
"Underground Movement" by Paul Moss is a pretty good read regarding the various types of LU rolling stock up to the year 2000, including a fair bit about the little-known design competition for a new Northern Line fleet in 1990 (which was sadly cancelled after the first round because of budget constraints). The various refurbishments are also described in detail, along with the plan for the D78 refurbishment. There's also a section on the so-called "Space Train" for the Victoria Line, including a bizarre mock-up of a tube train with a 25Kv pantograph! It's interesting to note that hardly any of the Space Train's features were incorporated into the eventual 2009 stock.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
"Capital Transport Publishing" do a large number of books on the London Underground. I find them well-written and illustrated, including maps etc. My favourite is 'By tube beyond Edgware' about the proposed and partly-built extension of the Northern line from the Edgware terminus to a new depot at Aldenham and a new terminus on the outskirts of Bushy - some works were carried out but stopped in 1939 when WW2 started, never to be finished.
I've absolutely no connection with Capital Transport, other than ordering their books for my bookshop (and myself!) over the last twenty years or so, but I absolutely concur with your points. They've never issued a sub-standard book imo.

Before Capital Transport, the best book I ever came across on the Underground was by Alan Jackson, published by David and Charles, on the Metropolitan Railway. The word magisterial comes to mind.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If you are interested in the building of the underground, then ...

Building London’s Underground by Anthony Badsey-Ellis is the book to get. Exceptional book (even with a couple of minor factual errors, but then most reference books have that).

Loads of pics, diagrams, and cutaways.

trash80

Established Member
I have loads of books on the underground, some i recommend are:

Capital Transport do a number of histories on the separate lines which are very good. For technical detail you can't beat Piers Connor's The London Underground Electric Train. Older but also good is J. Graeme Bruce's The London Underground Tube Stock. Another good one (and a new edition is out now) is Kim Rennie's Underground and Overground Trains.

Going back a bit to historical stock Brian Hardy's Underground Train File books (separate books on tube and surface stock up to the 1960s).

A great all-round book is Jason Cross's London Underground Guide. If you want the development of the DLR then get Stephen Jolly & Boy Bayman's Docklands Light Railway (though only covers the original set-up).

For stations i like John Scott Morgan's London Underground in Colour since 1955. Also recommend Robert Griffiths, London Underground past and present: the Central Line, JE Connor, London's Disused Underground Stations, Antony Badsey-Ellis & Mike Horne, The Aldwych Branch and Ben Pedroche, Do Not Alight Here.

Jetlagged

I've absolutely no connection with Capital Transport, other than ordering their books for my bookshop (and myself!) over the last twenty years or so, but I absolutely concur with your points. They've never issued a sub-standard book imo.

Before Capital Transport, the best book I ever came across on the Underground was by Alan Jackson, published by David and Charles, on the Metropolitan Railway. The word magisterial comes to mind.

As you have a bookshop, can I ask about the previously referenced book, London Underground Guide 2017 by Jason Cross. That was published on 23 March 2017. The book seems to be published annually so, are you aware if there is a 2018 edition in the pipeline please?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Fantastic Thanks for that.

@Busaholic Is it a title that you carry? I'd like to support a fellow forum member if possible
You're very kind in thinking like that, but I'm virtually retired now (I'll be 70 toward the end of April). I do still order books for some old customers who wish to continue to support me, but unfortunately even this arrangement is having to come to an end, as the minimum order I have to place to get any sort of discount (i.e. to make a small profit) continues to rise to the point where it's no longer feasible and, to be honest, I've had to pay full price for Capital Transport books for some while, so I've only bought those ones which I think will interest me and am happy to keep for myself. I'm genuinely touched by your consideration, though, so thank you most sincerely. I hope you manage to get the latest edition.

Jetlagged

You're very kind in thinking like that, but I'm virtually retired now (I'll be 70 toward the end of April). I do still order books for some old customers who wish to continue to support me, but unfortunately even this arrangement is having to come to an end, as the minimum order I have to place to get any sort of discount (i.e. to make a small profit) continues to rise to the point where it's no longer feasible and, to be honest, I've had to pay full price for Capital Transport books for some while, so I've only bought those ones which I think will interest me and am happy to keep for myself. I'm genuinely touched by your consideration, though, so thank you most sincerely. I hope you manage to get the latest edition.

You're welcome and thanks for your reply. @A Challenge has kindly pointed towards a source for the book, so I'll get my order in now

Status
Not open for further replies.