• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the current situation with bars and cafes on stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Although bars and cafes can now open, subject to social distancing and other restrictions, I've noticed that some on stations have not reopened. W H Smith at Bolton, which includes a cafe, was closed last Tuesday, as was Starbuck's at Manchester Vic. Are they closed simply because the fall in passenger numbers makes it not worth opening or is there a rail industry policy not to reopen yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bearhugger

When I was last at Middlesbrough station a couple of weeks ago, the WH Smiths was closed but the Stottie Company cafe had re-opened.

vlad

When I was last at Middlesbrough station a couple of weeks ago, the WH Smiths was closed but the Stottie Company cafe had re-opened.

Middlesbrough station has a café called Stottie Company? I am jealous!

route101

Established Member
Euston had WH smith open , didnt see if Boots was open.

Glasgow Central has Pret and WH Smith open. If early only option is Tesco on Hope St that open at 6.

tpjm

Starting to get back to normal at Huddersfield. Both pubs, platform 1 coffee shop and platform 8 buffet now open.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
From my (admittedly limited) observations, units managed by Select Service Partner generally remain closed, as do AMT Coffee, but other retailers are gradually reopening.

route101

Established Member
From my (admittedly limited) observations, units managed by Select Service Partner generally remain closed, as do AMT Coffee, but other retailers are gradually reopening.

Wonder when SSP catering and shops will open?

boyaloud

Euston had WH smith open , didnt see if Boots was open.

Glasgow Central has Pret and WH Smith open. If early only option is Tesco on Hope St that open at 6.
Boots at Euston closed down at least 6 months ago, I think more.

317 forever

Established Member
Leon at Euston, on the balcony above the main concourse, was open last Saturday. I didn't notice any cafes open there on my previous day in London 4 weeks earlier.

SussexLad

Changed at Grantham today, costa shut, Starbucks shut. New bar / pub is open.

Paddington had majority of things clossed at 8pm today, even burger King! Didn't spot one open coffee shop.

Andyh82

Established Member
In Leeds you’ve got WHSmith, Boots, McDonalds, Starbucks, Sainsbury’s and Pret open

Everything else including M&S, both pubs, all the food, pastie, cookie kiosks including everything ‘air side’ is closed.

Also closed is the travel centre and both the land and air side customer service desks

boyaloud

In Leeds you’ve got WHSmith, Boots, McDonalds, Starbucks, Sainsbury’s and Pret open

Everything else including M&S, both pubs, all the food, pastie, cookie kiosks including everything ‘air side’ is closed.

Also closed is the travel centre and both the land and air side customer service desks
You missed Nero Express, (landside) - that's open.

It's very odd NOTHING at all airside, perhaps as these are all owned by SSP? The Travel Centre, I'm amazed hasn't closed a long time ago. I find staff in there unpleasant and you always have to queue for ages. I just get anything at the normal ticket desks which are (or were) open very late and always really friendly, helpful staff!

Leyther

Good morning.
At Scarborough on 30 July 2020 the buffet and toilets were closed.

Hellifield the Shed 24H cafe is open check there Facebook page for times etc.

Preston
Buffet on platform 1/2 closed.
Buffet, bar WHSmith on platform 3/4 closed.
West Cornwall pasty and Starbucks closed.
Vending machine by the platform 4 ramp/underpass is in use.

dmu fan

What eating/drinking establishments are open at edinburgh waverley Station please?

Howardh

Established Member
Good morning.
At Scarborough on 30 July 2020 the buffet and toilets were closed.

Hellifield the Shed 24H cafe is open check there Facebook page for times etc.

Preston
Buffet on platform 1/2 closed.
Buffet, bar WHSmith on platform 3/4 closed.
West Cornwall pasty and Starbucks closed.
Vending machine by the platform 4 ramp/underpass is in use.
Preston was very busy on Friday. I'm sure the shops would make a profit.

J-P_L

At York the WHSmith has been open for weeks.
AMT re-opens today and the P9 Costa opens again from Thursday.

route101

Established Member
Thankyou. A week to go yet. Will be looking for something to eat on the train around 6pm.

At 6pm your best bet might be the Sainsburys in Waverley mall. Surprised M & S are still closed.

dmu fan

Thankyou route 101. Can I ask what is Waverley mall. Never been to Edinburgh before. Thankyou

route101

Established Member
Thankyou route 101. Can I ask what is Waverley mall. Never been to Edinburgh before. Thankyou

Small shopping centre next to the station. You can access it by using the waverley steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.