• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the earliest you can buy a season ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRobinson

Hi,

So, having checked that my registration, etc at university is up to date this week, I went to buy a season ticket running from next Monday through to 14/12 (when I finish for Christmas). When I went to buy a ticket this morning at Sheffield station, I was to that I'd have to wait until 12pm today before I could buy it; but when I went back (after 12pm) I was told I couldn't buy one before 12pm on Sunday.

This seems daft, can anyone clarify who was right?

(BTW, I was in possession of a valid return ticket for today's travel)

Cheers,
Matt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wellhouse

For Seasons of One Month or longer;

If the start date is a Saturday, Sunday or Monday (also Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the ticket may be issued from noon on the previous Friday.If the start date is another day, the ticket may be issued after noon on the previous day.

Different Conditions apply for 7-Day Seasons and Renewals; full info at

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/season_tickets.html

barrykas

Established Member
The official line (from The Manual) is as follows:

A totally new weekly ticket may only be issued on the start date or, where that's a Monday (or Tuesday after a public holiday), from 6am on Sunday.

For a monthly or longer season, it's from noon the day before the start date, unless it's a Saturday, Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday after a public holiday), when it's from noon on Friday.

For a renewal of a weekly, it's from noon the previous day, unless it's a Saturday, Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday after a public holiday), when it's from noon on Friday.

For a renewal of a monthly or longer, it's up to a week in advance.

For renewals, the existing ticket should be withdrawn at the time the renewal is issued, to prevent misuse, and the clerk should use the "Lost Days" functionality of their Ticket Issuing System to adjust the expiry date on the new ticket accordingly.

In practice, some TOCs will allow you to renew "early" as it were, and the majority of clerks don't withdraw the current ticket.

Cheers,

Barry

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The Fujitsu Star TIS used by East Midlands Trains simply will not allow you to override the rules set out in The Manual. If you attempt a renewal or a new issue early it will simply lock out the buttons that allow you to process the transaction and issue the ticket.

As other TOCs, such as those using TRIBUTE, can do this it does cause confusion.

MattRobinson

Thanks to the people who have responded. It would suggest that the second time I went, I could have bought a ticket, but the ticket seller was being obtuse (which was the opinion I had at the time). Cheers. Seems a bit unfair though...

sheff1

Established Member
Thanks to the people who have responded. It would suggest that the second time I went, I could have bought a ticket, but the ticket seller was being obtuse (which was the opinion I had at the time). Cheers. Seems a bit unfair though...

At Sheffield ? ... who would have though it ? ;)

SussexMan

To stop people using them before they are valid.

OK, I understand that, but why can I buy a ticket today for travel in November? What is the difference? Having never had one, do season tickets not have a start date? i.e. valid from/to etc? (dates not places of course!)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
OK, I understand that, but why can I buy a ticket today for travel in November? What is the difference? Having never had one, do season tickets not have a start date? i.e. valid from/to etc? (dates not places of course!)

They do if purchased in advance, however they are not very prominently displayed and I believe many staff don't look at them closely, since the expiry date is printed in a much larger font.

barrykas

Established Member
They do if purchased in advance, however they are not very prominently displayed and I believe many staff don't look at them closely, since the expiry date is printed in a much larger font.

Except for renewals, which usually have RENEWAL printed where the start date normally goes. The exception tending to be weeklies, as they aren't generally recorded on Season Ticket databases.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
MattRobinson - There are issues with some staff at Sheffield failing to act correctly. As for the nice lady, I have an idea who that could be. The staff there are very variable.

Please write to EMT to complain about the second person, while praising the first. Be sure to keep it concise, polite but assertive. I am happy to proof read (feel free to send me a PM).

I hear a lot of complaints about Sheffield, and I do mystery shop there occasionally however bizarrely they always issue tickets correctly when I ask! But I know there are issues and they need to be resolved. We had promises that they would be, but the promises are not being kept.

MattRobinson

I have now sent emails to EMT and Northern. Got the stock response of (basically) 'Thanks for sending us the email, we'll try to get back to you within 5 days, or 20 days at the latest'. I'll post back here the outcome.

MattRobinson

I got an email from Northern today basically saying that it wasn't their fault (well, no, but as I explained in my original email, I was basically cc-ing it to them...)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I got an email from Northern today basically saying that it wasn't their fault (well, no, but as I explained in my original email, I was basically cc-ing it to them...)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
I'd send them a reply saying that you agree it wasn't their fault, however I would expect them to be concerned that a Company appointed to act as an agent on their behalf is not acting correctly and I would expect them to have discussions with EMT to ensure that EMT do not refuse to issue tickets to their customers, as EMT are required to do under the terms of the Ticketing & Settlement Agreement, and can I have assurances that conversations will take place between the two Companies to ensure that their customers are treated correctly in future.

MattRobinson

Another progress update:

1) I've written back to Northern saying basically what Yorkie said above. They've since replied to say that although it's an issue with EMT, they're going to forward the email to their revenue and pricing manager.

2) EMT said it was a computer issue and that their staff weren't able to sell me a ticket because they couldn't over-ride the computer. I sent them a link to the National Rail website saying that I could buy a ticket the day before, and that they were (basically) talking nonsense. Waiting for a reply from them.

MattRobinson

EMT have just sent me an email stating that I can only buy a season ticket from 12pm the day before it is due to start, which contradicts both the advice given on here and what the national rail website says.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
EMT have just sent me an email stating that I can only buy a season ticket from 12pm the day before it is due to start, which contradicts both the advice given on here and what the national rail website says.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

If I were you, I would write back pointing out the flaws in their policy and request a response from someone more senior (in a polite but firm manner obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.