• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the fastest a failed HST has ever been dragged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmason1996

Just curious on this one;

From what I understand, there I a limit on how fast a HST can be pushed using It's "tow bar" but no such limits exist when being pulled, I remember watching an old BR era video on it
So how fast can you drag a dead HST set?
I'd assume of rescued by a 91 I'd could be dragged at 125mph? Has this ever occurred?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Just curious on this one;

From what I understand, there I a limit on how fast a HST can be pushed using It's "tow bar" but no such limits exist when being pulled, I remember watching an old BR era video on it
So how fast can you drag a dead HST set?
I'd assume of rescued by a 91 I'd could be dragged at 125mph? Has this ever occurred?
I know of a rescue by 50037 around 1989 (think 50 was put on at Plymouth) that arrived in Padd 2 minutes early so must have been going some (having said that think back power car was still powering). I saw it at Reading and was on time. I know the 50 won't have been doing 125mph but think speed limits on locos were a little more lax then so doubt 115mph was out of the question? I had a 50 at 116mph once so sure with back power car pushing that's not out of the question?

Darandio

Established Member
I know of a rescue by 50037 around 1989 (think 50 was put on at Plymouth) that arrived in Padd 2 minutes early so must have been going some (having said that think back power car was still powering). I saw it at Reading and was on time. I know the 50 won't have been doing 125mph but think speed limits on locos were a little more lax then so doubt 115mph was out of the question? I had a 50 at 116mph once so sure with back power car pushing that's not out of the question?

I doubt the rear power car was providing any power other than for train supply, I don't think it would be able to work with the Class 50. Happy to be corrected.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Here is a photo (not mine) of an HST being hauled by a 91 near York .

Richard Scott

Established Member
I doubt the rear power car was providing any power other than ETS, I don't think it would be able to work with the Class 50. Happy to be corrected.
Definitely powering, watched train leave Reading, assume driver of HST was still with it.

It may be that the conventional brake application of a loco may result in a speed restriction when hauling dead HSTs. I say this as both power cars vent the brake pipe in normal operation using E70. I've not researched this so happy to be corrected.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I doubt the rear power car was providing any power other than for train supply, I don't think it would be able to work with the Class 50. Happy to be corrected.

I'm not sure either; but certainly, I've travelled on a Down WR HST that was running OPCO from about Westbury and at Exeter a 47 was attached for the South Devon banks. I was given to understand at the time that this was standard practice for OPCOs and presumably applied in the Up direction, too. As far as I can recollect (it was about 1984!) the 47 and HST worked in tandem - we had drivers rostered stand-by in those days - and the performance on the banks was as normal.
As an aside, I certainly remember, when talking to the guard afterwards, that he did consider attaching the towbar was a dangerous operation because it involved him holding the towbar in position while the loco was manoeuvred into exactly the right position - from his description, it had holes with very little tolerance.

Darandio

Established Member
I'm not sure either; but certainly, I've travelled on a Down WR HST that was running OPCO from about Westbury and at Exeter a 47 was attached for the South Devon banks. I was given to understand at the time that this was standard practice for OPCOs and presumably applied in the Up direction, too. As far as I can recollect (it was about 1984!) the 47 and HST worked in tandem - we had drivers rostered stand-by in those days - and the performance on the banks was as normal.
As an aside, I certainly remember, when talking to the guard afterwards, that he did consider attaching the towbar was a dangerous operation because it involved him holding the towbar in position while the loco was manoeuvred into exactly the right position - from his description, it had holes with very little tolerance.

Interesting. On the subject of the towbar, I always formed the impression that there was a lower speed limit when using it but I may be wrong on that one as well, happy to be corrected again!

superjohn

Interesting. On the subject of the towbar, I always formed the impression that there was a lower speed limit when using it but I may be wrong on that one as well, happy to be corrected again!
There is a video on YouTube that shows the rescue procedure. At about ten minutes in it states that, when being hauled from the front, the train can proceed at the maximum allowed by line speed and the loco involved. There is a 40mph limit when the rescue loco is propelling. It also says the ET70 valves must be isolated in both power cars when being hauled.

The video appears to date from the introduction of the HST so procedures may have changed since then.

It is a fascinating watch.

Far north 37

Established Member
I thought exactly the same surely the towbar wouldnt be allowed for high speed running.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
There has been at least one instance of a failed in service HST being dragged by a class 55 Deltic during the late 70s. Never seen any record of the performance but certainly a photo exists of such a combination departing Doncaster.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It may be that the conventional brake application of a loco may result in a speed restriction when hauling dead HSTs. I say this as both power cars vent the brake pipe in normal operation using E70. I've not researched this so happy to be corrected.

Correct, it used to be 110mph (hence the 110 ceiling for WCML Mk3 operations), I believe the Sectional Appendix gives it as 100mph now though.

Without a functioning E70 system, you can't stop from 125mph quickly enough, simple as that.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes if an HST was running a little late and it came in to Exeter with only one power car running (preferably the country end one from an enthusiasts point of view which I’ll come to in a second), we’d all look over from the end of platform 5/6 and see what was available and ticking over on shed before deciding whether to rush over to the ticket office to hurriedly purchase a return to Plymouth... :lol:

If it was something a bit rare like a 37/0, and whatever it was also did the return journey. Bagging the front vestibule behind the working power car as both drivers gave it absolutely everything over the Devon banks was a very exhilarating (and noisy) experience...

Not had a hst drag in probably nearly 20 years now after they weren't uncommon before that. Can't remember them all but most of mine were on the XC network and some into Virgin days. After an incident involving a tow bar coming apart they did get rarer though as there was an instruction that they shouldn't exceed 100 miles except for buffer fitted power cars after that.

Certainly had 1 or both power cars assisting on some of those workings (an odd set was failed with a safety issue so needed piloting but was otherwise fully functional). In the cases where only 1 driver was available very often workings were with just the loco powering and a power car idling to supply power to the set. The vast majority of drags I had were class 47s from various owners or sectors. I think only a few of the workings with at least 1 power car powering still reached or topped 100mph (not that they should have exceeded 95mph by rights as the leading loco dictates). Of such workings it was along the likes of Bristol to Exeter it was possible to hit very high speeds in theory. If 110mph wasn't reached on any of the workings I was on with a power car powering I'd be surprised. An odd one I was on certainly felt almost as fast as a normal hst. The acceleration whenever at least 1 power car was also being driven in tandem with the loco essentially gave similar acceleration to the norm if not slightly better. In those instances there was a lot of smoke and noise with both the pilot loco and sometimes leading power car going full pelt away from stations frequently.

I will try and recall some of those I had below as hopefully they are of interest for this topic:
The first one was 47523 Banbury to Manchester on the northbound Pines Express and I fell into it whilst waiting for a Brighton to Manchester loco hauled service. Believe it had worked from at least Reading. Due to late running and a route block near Penkridge from about 1830 that Saturday we rolled into Coventry and the crew had to do an emergency run round and mess with the towbar. We ran south to Rugby for the same drill again and then non stop very quickly up the WCML to Stafford and then as booked via Stoke! Arrival into Manchester a couple of hours late. Also had 47831 Birmingham to Manchester dragging the Pines hst another time.

Fell into RFD 47285 at Crewe one Saturday evening after joking to friends as to why it was loitering in the middle road near platform 11 with a driver (could it be topping that hst that's late?). It was attached to a very late 1D88 Euston to Holyhead (taking an hour to do the towbar and pins as the shunter was rusty on the procedure). Back out on the Sunday 0245 Holyhead to Euston as far as Crewe after which the hst limped forward to London on one power car, as it then did all day on the Sunday!! My other North Wales hst drag was 47766 from Llandudno Jcn to Crewe on the afternoon Holyhead to Euston boat train.

47762 on a Crewe to Plymouth drag (knew in advance as it had worked from Edinburgh via the WCML). Was very late off Crewe and then sat in Wolverhampton a few hours blocking the platform whilst repairs to the dragging brakes on the carriages were undertaken. Control were about to cancel it and leave me gutted but it was reinstated last minute and ran through nearly 4 hours down just about making the sleeper at the destination. On the same service and same year I think I was advised in advance that black liveried and privately owned 47705 Guy Fawkes was to top the service from Crewe to Plymouth as it was already struggling with a dead power car. With a somewhat smaller delay, a repeat trip to Plymouth from Crewe of about 270 miles! A third, less exotic, occasion I think I had 47827 Wolverhampton to Cheltenham dragging the same service where it made a northbound loco hauled train to get back home off.

47737 (I think) from Sheffield to Dawlish area one Sunday evening. Had found out in advance and was looking forward to tackling the Devon Banks before a ride on the Night Riviera into London. We coasted into Newton Abbot and the driver had reported a loss power on the 47 near Dawlish. With only 1 power car working the train was cancelled and dumped to await assistance to reach Laira.

The most outrageous one in some ways, albeit not what I'd hoped would be the outcome. Was on the Dundee to Penzance hst nearly 24 years ago hoping to make the sleeper and it stalled climbing Rattray bank in Devon on a single power car. Assistance some time later came from non other than a following Great Western hst which pushed us all the way to Plymouth arriving a couple of hours late and only allowing me to make the sleeper at Liskeard. The consist was 4 power cars and 15 mk3s between the 2 sets! I was sure we would have had a loco off Laira or Exeter the time we waited for a rescue.

And the final memorable working was 47377 dragging a Bournemouth to Edinburgh hst. I had been going on 47734 to Weymouth when we learned of the Freightliner engine rescuing the hst in the Southampton area but couldn't resist jumping off at Winchester when it still hadn't gone past. Travelled up to Birmingham with it where it was ripped off and sent back south on a loco hauled working with the booked engine to save a path. I don't recall having another hst drag after that day which I think was about 2001.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not had a hst drag in probably nearly 20 years now after they weren't uncommon before that. Can't remember them all but most of mine were on the XC network and some into Virgin days. After an incident involving a tow bar coming apart they did get rarer though as there was an instruction that they shouldn't exceed 100 miles except for buffer fitted power cars after that.

Certainly had 1 or both power cars assisting on some of those workings (an odd set was failed with a safety issue so needed piloting but was otherwise fully functional). In the cases where only 1 driver was available very often workings were with just the loco powering and a power car idling to supply power to the set. The vast majority of drags I had were class 47s from various owners or sectors. I think only a few of the workings with at least 1 power car powering still reached or topped 100mph (not that they should have exceeded 95mph by rights as the leading loco dictates). Of such workings it was along the likes of Bristol to Exeter it was possible to hit very high speeds in theory. If 110mph wasn't reached on any of the workings I was on with a power car powering I'd be surprised. An odd one I was on certainly felt almost as fast as a normal hst. The acceleration whenever at least 1 power car was also being driven in tandem with the loco essentially gave similar acceleration to the norm if not slightly better. In those instances there was a lot of smoke and noise with both the pilot loco and sometimes leading power car going full pelt away from stations frequently.

I will try and recall some of those I had below as hopefully they are of interest for this topic:
The first one was 47523 Banbury to Manchester on the northbound Pines Express and I fell into it whilst waiting for a Brighton to Manchester loco hauled service. Believe it had worked from at least Reading. Due to late running and a route block near Penkridge from about 1830 that Saturday we rolled into Coventry and the crew had to do an emergency run round and mess with the towbar. We ran south to Rugby for the same drill again and then non stop very quickly up the WCML to Stafford and then as booked via Stoke! Arrival into Manchester a couple of hours late. Also had 47831 Birmingham to Manchester dragging the Pines hst another time.

Fell into RFD 47285 at Crewe one Saturday evening after joking to friends as to why it was loitering in the middle road near platform 11 with a driver (could it be topping that hst that's late?). It was attached to a very late 1D88 Euston to Holyhead (taking an hour to do the towbar and pins as the shunter was rusty on the procedure). Back out on the Sunday 0245 Holyhead to Euston as far as Crewe after which the hst limped forward to London on one power car, as it then did all day on the Sunday!! My other North Wales hst drag was 47766 from Llandudno Jcn to Crewe on the afternoon Holyhead to Euston boat train.

47762 on a Crewe to Plymouth drag (knew in advance as it had worked from Edinburgh via the WCML). Was very late off Crewe and then sat in Wolverhampton a few hours blocking the platform whilst repairs to the dragging brakes on the carriages were undertaken. Control were about to cancel it and leave me gutted but it was reinstated last minute and ran through nearly 4 hours down just about making the sleeper at the destination. On the same service and same year I think I was advised in advance that black liveried and privately owned 47705 Guy Fawkes was to top the service from Crewe to Plymouth as it was already struggling with a dead power car. With a somewhat smaller delay, a repeat trip to Plymouth from Crewe of about 270 miles! A third, less exotic, occasion I think I had 47827 Wolverhampton to Cheltenham dragging the same service where it made a northbound loco hauled train to get back home off.

47737 (I think) from Sheffield to Dawlish area one Sunday evening. Had found out in advance and was looking forward to tackling the Devon Banks before a ride on the Night Riviera into London. We coasted into Newton Abbot and the driver had reported a loss power on the 47 near Dawlish. With only 1 power car working the train was cancelled and dumped to await assistance to reach Laira.

The most outrageous one in some ways, albeit not what I'd hoped would be the outcome. Was on the Dundee to Penzance hst nearly 24 years ago hoping to make the sleeper and it stalled climbing Rattray bank in Devon on a single power car. Assistance some time later came from non other than a following Great Western hst which pushed us all the way to Plymouth arriving a couple of hours late and only allowing me to make the sleeper at Liskeard. The consist was 4 power cars and 15 mk3s between the 2 sets! I was sure we would have had a loco off Laira or Exeter the time we waited for a rescue.

And the final memorable working was 47377 dragging a Bournemouth to Edinburgh hst. I had been going on 47734 to Weymouth when we learned of the Freightliner engine rescuing the hst in the Southampton area but couldn't resist jumping off at Winchester when it still hadn't gone past. Travelled up to Birmingham with it where it was ripped off and sent back south on a loco hauled working with the booked engine to save a path. I don't recall having another hst drag after that day which I think was about 2001.
Some superb memories there @47827.
You might be interested in this thread from a little while ago:

We’d probably be best to keep the nostalgia to that one... ;)

alangla

I know FGW/GWR have, on occasion, used an extra pair of power cars coupled to the front of a failed set (so 3 power cars on the front, one on the back), presumably that setup can manage normal line speed? Also, what sort of pace could a GNER/NXEC set manage with a 67 on the front?

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation

Is that the only time 2 HST's were coupled together in passenger service? That would have been a good sight!

On Moderation
I know FGW/GWR have, on occasion, used an extra pair of power cars coupled to the front of a failed set (so 3 power cars on the front, one on the back), presumably that setup can manage normal line speed?
It cannot do 125mph - limit would be 110mph, I believe - as there is no E70 (or, indeed, DW2) brake control from the rear power car. It is the ability to propagate the brake from both ends of the train (along with disk brakes) that means an HST can do 125mph within existing signal sections.

No. There have been other rescues in a similar way.

And whether you are into the power cars from an enthusiast angle or not it was a major novelty working which for me was only marred by not reaching Penzance for a quick walk to the chippy before the Night Riviera. With it being about 1996 or sonething is was noisy Valentas being worked hard to get the train moving. In terms of speeds I don't recall doing much more than about 40mph to 50mph even on the flat or downhill bits so the rulebook limits quoted earlier in the thread sound right. Speed up the hills was nearer 15mph to 25mph. I imagine the driver of our failed set used emergency radios with the GW driver.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It cannot do 125mph - limit would be 110mph, I believe - as there is no E70 (or, indeed, DW2) brake control from the rear power car. It is the ability to propagate the brake from both ends of the train (along with disk brakes) that means an HST can do 125mph within existing signal sections.

It certainly used to be 110, but the last I looked in the Network Rail Western Sectional appendix it had been reduced to 100mph.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Also, what sort of pace could a GNER/NXEC set manage with a 67 on the front?

I believe when VTEC/LNER had 225 sets rescued by 67s, they were only permitted to run up to 100mph, it was stated in another thread some time ago.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Not specific to just this thread, but why do so many people refer to hauling a non-powering traction unit or loco as "dragging" it? It is not being "dragged", but 'hauled'. To 'drag' something implies it is reluctant/especially resistant to move - for example; with brakes seized on, or similar. I've never understood the use of the term when simply referring to hauling something which is a free-rolling load.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not specific to just this thread, but why do so many people refer to hauling a non-powering traction unit or loco as "dragging" it? It is not being "dragged", but 'hauled'. To 'drag' something implies it is reluctant/especially resistant to move - for example; with brakes seized on, or similar. I've never understood the use of the term when simply referring to hauling something which is a free-rolling load.

My understanding was that hauled is used for a normal loco hauled train of coaching stock or freight vehicles, a drag is either a loco hauling a failed train or a train with say an electric loco being hauled by a diesel off the wires or a loco hauling a multiple unit.

The difference being that the train has a form of traction itself which isn't being used either because of failure or no OLE but and another loco thus hauling the train.

Based on that understanding I think perhaps it's simply a means of diffentiating?

A hst under failure or down to one power car was often referred to as a drag by railway employees and enthusiasts over the years. It was a known term same as "they are dragging" if the wires were down or trains were booked diesel hauled away from the wires with pantograph on the electric down. Whether it obeys the laws of physics or not to use that term is probably another debate but so long as people understand the terminology that is the important bit and I understand the thread is all about speeds and subject related to that when a locomotive is on front of said hst set topping the leading power car or perhaps pushing from the rear where that is the only option.

TheBigD

Established Member
From elsewhere on this forum. Probably not the fastest hey drag though...

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I believe when VTEC/LNER had 225 sets rescued by 67s, they were only permitted to run up to 100mph, it was stated in another thread some time ago.

Given the lack of grunt available out of a 67 dragging a 225 I doubt it could reach that speed anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.