• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the Newcastle to Carlisle line like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I mean what sort of people do you get on it?

I've booked a few days away in Newcastle in June and was planning on taking a trip to Bardon Mill to do a walk in the area visiting Hadrian's Wall etc.

Also, I've recently noticed that one of the England Euro games coincides with one the days I'm there. What will this route be like on that day? I'd be going in the morning and coming back some time in the evening. Would it be ok to do the trip on that day I should I give it a miss?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jonb

Established Member
I'd certainly recommend doing the line if you are in the area, there's some great scenery along the way. Traction usually a 156, but have seen 142's as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by sort of people, but I guess Geordies?!

Bungle73

On Moderation
I meant trouble makers I guess, or people or people going to/from etc. Am I in for a quiet ride or a lot of noise?

mbga8mjb

The line serves affluent villages and towns in the Tyne Valley, so even after a football game I doubt there would be any chance of trouble or unsavoury people on the train.

I've traversed this line many a time with my laptop for example with no issues.

Bungle73

On Moderation
The line serves affluent villages and towns in the Tyne Valley, so even after a football game I doubt there would be any chance of trouble or unsavoury people on the train.

I've traversed this line many a time with my laptop for example with no issues.

That's great. Thanks!

I'm looking forward to it! 8-)

I've never been that far north before.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually the football is in the evening (on TV), and I was wondering about people travelling into Newcastle on the line to view it in pubs etc. But I'd guess most people would view it somewhere local?

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The line is beautifully scenic; its passengers are quiet Northumbrian people with an agricultural heritage who have embrassed the cultural industries in recent decades, a lot of professional commuters and a few school pupils in the morning and evening peaks, sprinkings of shoppers and leisure travellers through the day and the occasional group of high-spirited people in their 20s.
Very very few of the 'sort of people' you'd class as 'trouble makers'; I've never encountered any. A crying baby or a snoring dog are more likely intrusions!

Isn't it fascinating to learn how a region is percieved from elsewhere?

I know nothing about football but have recognised that when very popular matches are played, then the roads and towns seem to be quieter than usual, not busier or noisier.

Bungle73

On Moderation
The line is beautifully scenic; its passengers are quiet Northumbrian people with an agricultural heritage who have embrassed the cultural industries in recent decades, a lot of professional commuters and a few school pupils in the morning and evening peaks, sprinkings of shoppers and leisure travellers through the day and the occasional group of high-spirited people in their 20s.
Very very few of the 'sort of people' you'd class as 'trouble makers'; I've never encountered any. A crying baby or a snoring dog are more likely intrusions!

Isn't it fascinating to learn how a region is percieved from elsewhere?

I know nothing about football but have recognised that when very popular matches are played, then the roads and towns seem to be quieter than usual, not busier or noisier.
Thanks for the reply. I meant no slur. :)

Tramfan

It is a really nice line, with quite a few nice small local stations en-route, and coming into Newcastle on one of the bridges over the Tyne is always a highlight (for me anyway!)

As has been mentioned, the train will more than likely be a 156 (definitely if it's a ScotRail service) but I've done the line on a 142 quite a few times

markydh

Most services tend to be Pacers these days. The only ones you can guarantee are 156s are those operated by Scotrail to/from Glasgow, the 16:24 Newcastle - Whitehaven, one or two that set swap at Carlisle to allow Cumbrian Coast trains to return to Heaton depot and one or two that Scotrail use on early morning services to/from Dumfries. The reason for this is that Heaton-based 156s have to be used on the Cumbrian Coast and the Whitby line as priority before other Heaton-based diagrams.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
It's quite a pleasant line to travel on with a few interesting features. The signalman at Wylam should be fit - if you drop off there you'll see why.

Established Member
Hexham - Middlesbrough trains tend to be 142s, and Newcastle - Carlisle trains are a mix between 142s and 156s (although most are 142s).

As for the people - you shouldn't have any problems at the times you'll be travelling - last year there were problems on the last train back to Carlisle with drunks, which is why it was made a dry train for a while.

Railguy220

If you end up in Newcastle on a Friday people can be a bit noisy and it's normally the 7 o'clock train
from my experience, but you probably won't end up on that train. As everyone has said most people are generally no bother and are friendly.

transmanche

Established Member
I've booked a few days away in Newcastle in June and was planning on taking a trip to Bardon Mill to do a walk in the area visiting Hadrian's Wall etc
If you're going for walks, you might be interested in these Tyne Valley Train Trails. Perfect for an out & back day walk.

I use these trains for such walks regularly. As others have said, the scenery is great. Even the refurbed 142s with 2+2 'coach' seating are quite comfy (well for Pacers anyway). Never seen any trouble on the train, although I believe that the train Newcastle-Carlisle train on a Saturday is a dry train - following some rowdiness in the past.

If you like curry, Corbridge station is also home to a renowned restaurant, The Valley.

Bungle73

On Moderation
If you're going for walks, you might be interested in these Tyne Valley Train Trails. Perfect for an out & back day walk.

I use these trains for such walks regularly. As others have said, the scenery is great. Even the refurbed 142s with 2+2 'coach' seating are quite comfy (well for Pacers anyway). Never seen any trouble on the train, although I believe that the train Newcastle-Carlisle train on a Saturday is a dry train - following some rowdiness in the past.

If you like curry, Corbridge station is also home to a renowned restaurant, The Valley.
Thanks. I've already purchased the "Walking in Hadrian's Wall Country" book, but I'll take a look at that. I'm only staying for a few days though. :)

Established Member
If you like your beer, a stop at the Boathouse in Wylam is highly reccommended - also does good food.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I was looking at stopping at the Twice Brewed Inn on walk, for a drink and something to eat.

beermaddavep

As well as the Boathouse (which has just won regional camra pub of the year) other places close to the line with fine beer are the Black Bull at Haltwhistle, the Dyvels at Corbridge and the Angel at Corbridge (nice food here too- when we can't find visiting southerners to eat ;) ).

You will almost certainly find that travelling by rail feels much less hostile up here compared to in the SE.
Come up, you'll love it and we are a hospitable friendly bunch, honest!

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Most of the time the passengers on that line are ok, the only time it gets particually rowdy is on a Friday and Saturday night when you get folk that have been to Curryhouse on Corbridge station. You also on a Fri and Sat sometimes get a lot of people out on the drink boarding at all stations east of Hexham and of course the Charvers who get at Metrocentre.

Don't let that put you off though, its a beautiful line and some of the stations are a real joy and most of which have some canny pubs nearby. The Boathouse at Wylam, as already mentioned is a fantastic boozer and if you sit outside you get a great view of all trains passing the station and its lovely signal box. Most trains again, as mentioned are 142's so if you want comfort try to get on the Scotrail services to be guaranteed a 156.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Aficionados travel in summer to stop off at all the lovely villages and embark on hill walks (or cycle runs) and then wait until the autum to do it again without stopping, for the annual East Coast diversions along the line, as witnessed by forum member eezypeazy here at Wylam.

JohnCarlson

Aficionados travel in summer to stop off at all the lovely villages and embark on hill walks (or cycle runs) and then wait until the autum to do it again without stopping, for the annual East Coast diversions along the line, as witnessed by forum member eezypeazy here at Wylam.

The line is probably one of the safest in the UK.

However IIRC the can be problems with overcrowding and some stations shave very limited services.

ex-railwayman

Also, I've recently noticed that one of the England Euro games coincides with one the days I'm there. What will this route be like on that day? I'd be going in the morning and coming back some time in the evening. Would it be ok to do the trip on that day I should I give it a miss?

I wouldn't worry too much, the footie match will either be in the afternoon, or, at night, so, unless you visit a pub, where they'd most likely have the game being televised live, I doubt if you'll experience any problems. if you find any drunks on the train, just change carriages.
I cannot recommend the area enough, I started travelling up there back in the 70's and 80's and the freight trains at night would keep you awake if you slept close to the lineside, which I did, in a tent, absolutely superb memories of Class 40's whistling past.....:lol:
Everywhere has plenty of fabulous scenery, some nice farmhouses near Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge, etc, where you can rent rooms for the night, so, you get a good feel for the place, and some fab food as well, black pudding with your full english breakfast was a sight to behold, coupled with lots of drinking houses, and with all the hill walking in the summer, you won't get bored I can tell you.

Enjoy your holiday.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Status
Not open for further replies.