• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the point in trainspotting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGWadmirer

Simple enough question, or perhaps there's a better one: is there a point?

I joined the forum recently because I would class myself as a rail enthusiast - I enjoy rail travel, I think the history of the country's rail network is very interesting, and that rail transport is a vital part of alot of people's lives. However, I do NOT see why people trainspot.

Can someone tell me what the point is spending a whole day on a station, writing down the numbers of locomotives which are otherwise almost identical?

Is they surely not a more constructive, interseting or helpful activity to spend time doing in this world?

Does anyone else agree that it seems an incredibly sad waste of time?

And, by the way, I don't actually mean offence to anyone - I just to know why you waste your lives?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
I'm not a trainspotter, but they are not wasting their lives? I mean its a hobby. Like say if you support Aresenal (very wise people anyway ;)) and you have a season ticket and go to almost everygame people could say thats wasting your life! Its a hobby. I'm sure you have a hobby! People could say thats a waste of tim, bust so you like it!!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't trainspot, but I can imagine why some people do. It's only like collecting stamps or suchlike. I can imagine there must be some sense of achievement in having seen a whole class of locos too. Personally, I wouldn't do it though!

Established Member
I wouldn't say it is.

Personally, i'm not a spotter, i just like photographing and filming them. It's like any other hobby. Whatever your hobbies are, to other people they'll seem completely pointless.
Like I can't see the appeal of football; It's 22 men kicking a ball around a field, and yet it can cause riots. To me it just seems completely illogical and stupid.

mbonwick

Established Member
I think its perfectly understandable. When questioned by morons who make the assumption rail enthusiast=trainspotter, I always say it's the same as drooling over cars, or crumpet spotting.

Personally, I don't do it, but isn't it just like having every Call of Duty game or whatever?

mrcheek

Established Member
Personally, I like trains for a nice journey, and I have no interest in trainspotting. But I am not going to criticise those that do, as you could say similar things about any other hobby. So lets have some fun insulting other people:

fishing? whats the point? sitting in a boat in the cold and rain for something you could buy ready cleaned and ready to cook in the shops!!

Stamp collecting? sad! you cant put foreign stamps on UK mail anyway!

Football? just 22 overpaid bastards kicking a bag of air around. and people PAY these losers, to WATCH them!

Music? Buying CDs? whats the point? youll never have time to listen to most of them anyway.

Politics? theyre all corrupt anyway, and as bad as one another. no matter which party we elect we get screwed! pointless!

Golf? a good walk spoiled if you ask me...

The internet? what a waste of time. just a bunch of sad losers slagging off another bunch of sad losers.

507 001

Established Member
Simple enough question, or perhaps there's a better one: is there a point?

I joined the forum recently because I would class myself as a rail enthusiast - I enjoy rail travel, I think the history of the country's rail network is very interesting, and that rail transport is a vital part of alot of people's lives. However, I do NOT see why people trainspot.

Can someone tell me what the point is spending a whole day on a station, writing down the numbers of locomotives which are otherwise almost identical?

Is they surely not a more constructive, interseting or helpful activity to spend time doing in this world?

And, by the way, I don't actually mean offence to anyone - I just to know why you waste your lives?

I think you probably could have worded that a little better, because they are not wasting their lives (usually), its just a pastime and there are plenty of people who make money out of it.

Again though, I am a rail enthusiast and a modeller, I also take the numbers of units that i've been on if theres something interesting about it, but i don't take their picture, partly because i'd rather enjoy looking at it with my own eyes and not through my viewfinder, and partly because, as a landscape photographer, my computer is pretty clogged up with images anyway.

having said that though, I do take pictures of things that are unusual and are unlikely to see again (and the odd video).

I do however enjoy looking at other peoples images so, keep em coming lol

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I take offence to the OP's post. It isn't a waste of time as others have said. In my view, football, stamp collecting, drinking, substances and seemingly an endless list of 'hobbies' are all a waste of time. I can't see the point.

I personally take delight in finishing a class of locos, units, carriages or whatever. Especially the big classes. For example, the 377s number 182 in total and are fairly spread out over the Southern Region. So it takes some time to get them all. When I finished the class with sighting of 377140 on the 13th of December 2008, I was very happy. The same applied when I finished the HST power cars in July 2008. A class of 197 power cars, of which I got 195 (2 scrapped before I started) of them. When I finished them with 43064 I was over the moon.

I enjoy my hobby, I'm very into my hobby and I do not consider it a waste of time. If I'm quite honest, I'd view the OP's view as a waste of time and designed to wind people up.

MCR247

Established Member
After Re-reading the OP post I think also that FGWadmirer post could of been put in a different way, but What Is The Point In Trainspotting is bound to offend people. Just reading it made me think Oh-no, this is going to cause an argument. I mean it wasnt a question it was an insult! Just putting Trainspotting would of been fine and then aked in the thread. I mean you just have to look at the tags

Last edited:

nath9425

I class myself as a photographer that rarely appears on the railway to photograph something 'really rare'.

I don't stand on Platforms making a mess of myself with a book or anorak, I quite simply stand, shoot whatever needs to be done and go.

But people enjoy different things, I know in this town we have many different people that enjoy different things ... for example the man that will constantly walk round McDonalds and say nothing - then get chucked out. Maybe he just Enjoys it .. :lol:

I just enjoy the travelling aspect of trains/computerised bit of them. The rest bores me.

Established Member
To expand on my previous post:
No, becasue you could say the same thing about anything.

Watching football is just watching 22 similar men trying to do the same thing, so that must be an incredibly sad waste of time; fishing is sitting on a pier, by a river, in a boat, etc. doing the same thing for hours, so that must be an incredibly sad waste of time as well; golf is just hitting a ball into a hole, so it's an incredibly sad waste of time too.
See my point?

Established Member
I don't do trainspotting, I just use trains for Photography and Filming work - hence why I don't bother seeing many locos.

Darandio

Established Member
Well I know of a hobby that annoys me and I still cannot understand why anyone would be interested in it!

It involves people who go around various forums and start a thread to wind people up about their chosen hobby.

Cannot understand it at all, seems utterly pointless.

nath9425

Well I know of a hobby that annoys me and I still cannot understand why anyone would be interested in it!

It involves people who go around various forums and start a thread to wind people up about their chosen hobby.

Cannot understand it at all, seems utterly pointless.

Especially when their username is FGWadmirer :lol:

I mean he was just asking for it ... !

Metroland

Established Member
I dunno, never been one nor have any interest in numbers. In fact, my memory is so bad for numbers, i can't remember my own mobile. Bet its not more pointless than fishing, gangster rap, bling, truck spotting, or stamp collecting though. :) But I don't knock those either, we need all sorts of people for a working civilisation.

PS I'd really like to see a published survey of the percentages of different types of enthusiast though.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
I also don't really understand what enjoyment there is sitting on a platform just taking numbers.

What I do understand is Photography (I can see why this goes hand in hand with spotting), Modeling (I'd be tempted to do it in fact if it weren't so bloody expensive!) and Bashing. Mostly because I can see why someone would want to cover all lines or to get all classes of a train.

As has been said, everyone's different, and whilst there's a lot of people who think railway enthusiasts are sad, I bet there's just as many who think football's sad, and look at the coverage it gets in the media!

Phoenix

Established Member
Honestly I don't get annoyed by the word spotter as generally it's the easiest way to explain being a rail fan without sounding like your embarresed and trying to make it sound amazing to others so guys don't get annoyed by the word as were train buffs,spotters and so forth.
But I do spot but I only note down what loco's I have seen to avert me from getting bored on a long day cause I can alway pop open the book and strike a few locos off the list.
But the photography is the main point and as people may know I have been doing this for just a year but now I also do various other photography not just railways.
But yeah im a spotter in some ways and I love it cause it may sound sad but I have a girlfreind,I have mates,I have my skateboard and I do other things apart from trains but I tell all my mates what im into and well they take the **** but they always say that at least I stick to my guns and do what I love.

Metroland

Established Member
Well if following the hymn sheet of advertising agencies, being worried about how I spent my time and who I mix with, having to have X product, getting in others faces for who they are, and so on is being cool - I don't want to be cool. Unfortunately the word has been hijacked by think tanks, the media and advertising agencies to mould the world the way they want it for their own ends. The sheep don't realise it - much better to be honest about oneself.

I also find the accusation of geek amusing, especially as geeks run the world: The economists, the computer programmers, the engineers, the strategists, the scientists. I'd much rather be a geek than a chav, especially as most chavs have trouble running a bath.

Unfortunately the media do us no favours promoting socially destructive 'interests', and mocking more serious things - Rail enthusiasm being one of them. This country was built by engineers and inventors, not tin plate celebrities and drug dealers.

======

Trainspotting in the real sense of taking number officially started in the 1940s when Ian Allen released his books of locomotive numbers. In the 1950s/60 - the height of trainspotting - Railway locomotive variety was at its maximum, with 100s of types of locos, dating from the Victorian age right through to modern diesels and electrics as well as many types of carriages and wagons - all of which made for variety.

Trainspotting, in the age before video games, was cheap entertainment for most (especially younger people) are was literally a craze. By the 1970s the variety of trains was much less and steam had long gone. I would say the mocking of spotters however began in the 1980s by some comedians and was later picked up by the media - simply because some people do not understand the hobby of collecting numbers- I'm one of them! But I wouldn't knock something I don't have an interest in - its ignorant.

In my (limited) experience, most train spotters enjoy collecting things - and its not unknown for many of them to move into collecting bus and plane numbers. In some ways spotters are the most visible part of the hobby and this is one reason why the general public think everyone spots - they don't. Whereas I wouldn't go as as for to say as spotters are not rail enthusiasts, it is frequently forgotten is it is one element of rail enthusiasm, which in my experience annoys many other enthusiasts simply because spotting has been given negative connotations - something the rail press and groups have failed to right. To me, this is the number one reason people are put off, especially younger people.

Spotters probably make up less than 1 in 10 of enthusiasts - as rough guess from 30 years of being in the hobby. Overall, there are around 250,000 serious enthusiasts and 2 million casual rail enthusiasts in the UK. The National rail museum is the most visited museum outside London.

Other common elements of enthusiasm are: Photography, bashing (travelling behind certain locos), modelling, reading and writing books, computer games, the historic side/architecture, the political side (such as joining rail pressure groups like railfuture, campaign for better transport etc), travelling, painting and art, railwayania, visiting museums and preserved railways and working on preserved railways and those with casual interest - who might read the odd book, visit the odd museum. The latter are by far the biggest group.

Most enthusiasts will fit into one or more groups of the above, but some never cross into the others. For example some people love basing, but would never buy a railway book or model, others love modelling, who would never spot. Its a very wide church, although prominently male (unfortunately) covering all social classes, ages, and types of people. I have friends who are enthusiasts who stock shelves in Tescos right up to Cambridge University. There are geeky enthusiasts, famous enthusiasts - such as Pete Waterman, Rod Stewart and many others, and just regular people.

Railway enthusiasts can also have an interest in other forms of transport and vice versa - planes and cars are common, but also cycling and stuff like narrow boats, and buses, there is a very large crossover.

Last edited:

Aussie_Rail

Well the point of 'train spotting' really depends on how one likes to go about exercising their chosen hobby.

When it comes to trains, railways and transport etc there is a huge list of associated groups and many might only exercise their hobby to a very specific aspect. For example your main interest might be in ticketing or signage and you may not have a huge interest in trains as such.

But 'train spotter' is probably a generic term used to describe everyone that has an interest in trains, so not everyone that has an interest in trains would be seen track side with a clipboard and a camera.

AR

JJUK

I used to be one. I dunno rerally it was more of a thing like you write the numbers down and then on your travels you can say i saw that at so and so.

Death

Established Member
Hail all! <D
Personally, I don't do the stereotypical trainspotting thing myself as my personal interest in the railways mainly centres around the fact that they're the fastest form of land transport available to 99.9% of us - And consequently I don't really give two shakes if I come across a "really rare" loco or unit in my travels. :)
My main interest in that regard is in finding ways that the speeds of modern rail services could be increased to levels that I would find reasonable - Such as increasing Pendo speeds on the WCML to around 550mph or so! <D

On that note though, I don't consider the same stereotyped trainspotting itself to be a waste of time...After all, if someone likes spending their day on the platforms at Stafford with a camera and notebook in hand, then who the heck am I to go telling them that they shouldn't? :)

In my view: If someone performs a safe activity that is socially acceptable, then they should be allowed to do it without any form of trouble from anyone else. Irrespective of whether or not other people consider it to be "a waste of time" or not, the fact that they are doing something that they enjoy means that they're not really wasting their time at all...And as I've never had a train held up by spotter activity in almost 30 years of rail travel, I've certainly got no objection to them using their time in the way that they choose. 8)

Spotter activity can also vary a lot in it's nature as well. In my numerous trips into the city of London Latrine over time, I've seen some people spotting with notebooks, some spotting with mobile phones, some spotting with cameras...And there's a group of youths around the Wembly area who spot LuL stock with cans of spray paint! (Groans... :roll::lol:)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

FusionRail

After Re-reading the OP post I think also that FGWadmirer post could of been put in a different way, but What Is The Point In Trainspotting is bound to offend people. Just reading it made me think Oh-no, this is going to cause an argument. I mean it wasnt a question it was an insult! Just putting Trainspotting would of been fine and then aked in the thread. I mean you just have to look at the tags

But what is the point?

Jord

Doesn't it depend on what you class as 'Trainspotting' ?

I basically do it all, I phot/video, take down numbers, passing times, direction, load etc etc and love witnessing Freight. Now down to just 13 66s! (excluding French 66s) Not bad for me. :)

I get a buzz out of doing it and don't care what people think of me or it. It's my hobby at the end of the day.

Could be a little different for me as I don't see much that often as I live over 30 miles from a railway line, then that's only Aberdeen so a few Freights a week. But when I do get out and further afield to busier places, I love it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.