• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the point of this PBO - SLR ticket restriction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
I usually do Attleborough - Sleaford splitting at Spalding. But next week I need flexibility to come back via Grantham.
I was investigating splitting options via PBO to facilitate this. I usually catch the 0833 Peterborough to Lincoln service.
I saw this ticket, which at first would appear to allow me to use the 0833 as it's valid after 0830 via Spalding:
upload_2020-1-10_15-32-28.png

But I thought I'd better just check the small print:
upload_2020-1-10_15-33-54.png
So it's not valid on the 0833 after all. There is no other departure from Peterborough to Sleaford via Spalding before 0930.
So what's the point of differentiating the outward validity time via Spalding if the one particular service that would allow you to use is prohibited?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I think someone (LNER's pricing manager?) has made a mistake. Looks like they intended those two specific trains to be easements, but they have coded them as restrictions instead.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares

trebor79

Established Member
Thanks folks, have learnt something there. I think in future I will always do the split at PBO in that case. it give much more flexibility for my return journey than being limited to via Spalding.

trebor79

Established Member
Of course I've now discovered that the coding error means the ticket isn't offered for sale for an itinerary on the 0833 Peterborough - Lincoln service. So I've had to pretend I'm taking a different outward service.
I guess that means it wouldn't be offered at a ticket office either?
So it's likely the guard tomorrow will not have encountered someone with an "off peak" ticket on this service and I can expect a discussion.

Obviously www.nationalrail.co.uk/g5 is my friend in that circumstance. But what if the guard or an RPI interrogates whatever system the brfares data feed is coming from (presumably the same system that ticket sales channels use). That "coding error" makes the ticket appear to be invalid doesn't it?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I thought there were people from LNER on the forum; I'm surprised they haven't fixed this now it's been pointed out :)

trebor79

Established Member
Another question that's just popped into my head. Why would the 0833 even need an easement if the ticket has general validity via Spalding after 0830?
All very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.