• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the state of your local station?

What condition is your local station in?

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average

• Minor Investment Needed

• Major Investment Needed

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

My local, New Southgate on the WAGN, needs a bit of TLC. It has quite a lot of passengers go through it but it has one bench on each platform (fits about 3 average sized people). The staff, well 1 or 2 of them, only seem to be there in the day, between 10am and 3pm. And IMO its not safe. I've seen the paramedics there twice this month, not sure whether its rail related but its very likely.

Coxster

Established Member
My local, Farnborough Main, is currently undergoing work. It's being repainted, modernised etc and the staff are always Friendly.

jonb

Established Member
My local station, Brentwood definitely could do with revamping. At the present time it is used heavily on Weekdays and the platforms can just about handle the morning commuters. However the station only has two Automatic Ticket machines and at Two Ticket personnel serving tickets from two seperate windows. And even though the ticket office and station are supposed to be staffed until 2000 I often see the whole place shut up at 1700.

The other problem is the lack of ticket barriers with some minor alterations these could be installed and ensure ticket evaders don't get away.

Guinness

Established Member
My Local station is typical of BR but Virgin modernised it so now its warmer and I definatly feel safe at night. A lot of Staff Presence even after the booking office is shut. :)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I think Newport Station is very good, along with most major arriva trains wales station, they all seem reasonable. Whole station seems good, and the toilets are a damn sight better than those at many other stations, York to name one place!

T

Tom

Bournemouth station is wonderful, the modernisation project a while back did it well!

AlexS

Established Member
On my first day at work after finishing university I was on a small unmanned station, which was quite a walk from the village centre waiting for a train home, with one other person. He was a young man, who proceeded to threaten me with an axe. There was no phone on the station and I had to run half a mile into the village to ring the police. By the time I got there and they had arrived, he was long gone. There is no way I would catch a train on my own from an unmanned station now, even in broad daylight.
Alexandra Lusby, Shrewsbury

That one is quite a nasty sounding one! Sounds like Wem to me.

My station is a great little place. It's clean, has a volunteer who looks after it, sweeps up, paints window sills and has a key to the Central Trains owned but closed up station building ( a very small, brick building. Has a ticket window and leaflets in there ). It was even better before someone knocked the bloody footbridge over and cracked some of the platform.

Craig

Established Member
My local station (Newcastle) is quite good, the only area of improvement I can think of is the waiting area's. There are a couple of basic waiting rooms and seats on the platforms - all metal, so they can get a bit cold :shock:

tramboy

My "local" station is underserved by Central Trains for a town the size of where i live. Two platforms, one departures monitor on entrance to the station, there is a waiting room building but it has been privately owned for years and last time i saw was boarded up. There are plastic bus stop shelters on each platform, graffitied and usually filled with youths who don't want to sit on the playing fields behind.

Nottingham: Great station, not really much wrong with it!

Durham: Lovely station, the only thing that could make it better is if they replaced the canopies and associated support work on the northbound platform...cos it needs doing!

Cheers

Dave

Julian G

Established Member
tramboy said:
Durham: Lovely station, the only thing that could make it better is if they replaced the canopies and associated support work on the northbound platform...cos it needs doing!

Cheers

Dave
and some more 92s ;)

Craig

Established Member
tramboy said:
I think the walkway under the station could do with a bit of work too. Oh, and getting some sort of ski lift system in place up that hill from the city ;)

1288gaje said:
and some more 92s ;)
How would that improve the station? 92s pass through Durham already anyway.

tramboy

The station could be made better accessible for disabled people that's true...the tunnel walkway could be better waterproofed!

There is a bus...the cathedral bus up there (50p all day ticket) and an arriva (generally high floor) bus every 30mins Mon-Sat...although you generally get used to the hill after a while!

Cheers

Dave

Dave A

Does anyone know if London Bridge has toilets yet? When I went in December, they had one pay toilet which was dirty and clogged :( :?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
tramboy said:
My "local" station is underserved by Central Trains for a town the size of where i live. Two platforms, one departures monitor on entrance to the station, there is a waiting room building but it has been privately owned for years and last time i saw was boarded up. There are plastic bus stop shelters on each platform, graffitied and usually filled with youths who don't want to sit on the playing fields behind.
Which station is that?

Also, I have some good tips for cheap tickets between Nottingham and London, or Nottingham and Newcastle ;) (only really works for day trips), PM me if you want the info. (It works on the basis that GNER priced tickets are cheaper than Virgin/MML priced tickets).

jonb

Established Member
London Tube said:
Does anyone know if London Bridge has toilets yet? When I went in December, they had one pay toilet which was dirty and clogged :( :?

Yep on Platforms 5/6 you don't have to pay either.

tramboy

That's Bingham, on the Nottingham-Grantham line.

I stopped going from Nottingham to the north a while ago...after i passed my driving test it is a lot easier to go either to Newark Northgate or Grantham and get a direct train from there! But cheers anyway!

Regards

Dave

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Loughborough (Midland) is fairly well looked after, although it could do with some more money put into improving the Cleanliness of some areas of the station, a nice lick of paint into Midland Railway red would be nice too.

But it's rather nice as it is, although I must admit it's a dark building which looks fairly grubby from the outside, but it's got some nice wooden panelling in the Booking Office, even if it's been painted the most horrible colour of blue imaginable.

Tomnick

Established Member
Jordy said:
Grimsby station is, errrr, hmmm, uhhhh, awful!
Seems relatively nice compared to the likes of New Holland and even, at the moment, Cleethorpes... I know where I'd rather spend an hour waiting for a delayed train!

Harold

Good old Fratton has been the same as it's always been, not brilliant, not a state but just average! :D

HBA135

joeholmes

I Have too say that Marlow station is quite out of your league, with two seats, a clock AND a timetable which has graffiti all over it! I think that it has too win the worst station award!

Joe

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
Tilehurst I have to say is in a very poor state. It use to be a nice station with flower beds in the middle platform until Thames Trains came along and took them out leaving a mess at the end of the platform. The station ticket office floor collapsed almost a year ago and first have not paid a penny towards re-building it. The toilets are locked when no one is on duty at the station but that is most of the time as it is only staffed in the mornings if "Ray" is not ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.