• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's wrong (right?) with Pendolinos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If you're on EE you can now get a portable battery charger for free (well 35p for the cost of sending POWER to 365). Once depleted you charge it yourself or call into an EE store to swap for a fully charged one, again for free.

They're quite small and probably good for one full charge or even slightly less, but a useful accessory. Amazon is full of similar, with carrying capacity. Prices start from about a fiver updates I think.

Just done that, amazed they haven't sent me promotional texts about it before. God knows how many spam texts I've had from them about DVD rentals and much more!

Shall have to try and get mine tomorrow, assuming The Ford isn't so behind the times that they haven't run out!

Thanks for the gen there, if it works well you'll be credited in Monday's trip report :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Having worked out in Savigliano on the Fiat Ferroviaria design team (before it was swallowed by Alstom), one of the things I worked hard to try and change was the window size. Alas, it wasn't possible to have bigger windows without compromising the bodyshell strength and/or fatigue life.

Sorry, I don't believe that for a second. Strengthening can be placed into the body structure to allow for that.

The problem is doing it at a reasonable cost. That's a tough nut to crack, however one day it will be.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry, I don't believe that for a second. Strengthening can be placed into the body structure to allow for that.

The problem is doing it at a reasonable cost. That's a tough nut to crack, however one day it will be.

I'd argue it has been. The windows on the Javelins, also designed for 140mph, are a bit (though not massively) bigger.

I think the issue may well be in how the Euro-Pendolino (which has windows roughly the same size as the Javelin) was scaled down to UK loading gauge. It is I guess possible (as you say) that redesigning it to avoid the windows being scaled down was not financially practicable.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The first "refreshed" Pendolino (or is it just coach G?) is now running around the WCML.
Over the next 18 months the entire fleet will get the upgrade.
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/about/media-room/#/.

Does anyone know if anything has changed about the interior with the refresh, or is it just replacement seat covers in the same colours?

JaJaWa

Established Member
Does anyone know if anything has changed about the interior with the refresh, or is it just replacement seat covers in the same colours?

It says "major interior interior refresh", which it mentions as including a "deep clean". I had previously taken refurbishment = new seats and handrails, refresh = new seat covers and repainted handrails. So this is surely just a "clean"?..

Attachments

• DSCF1138-2.jpg
    DSCF1138-2.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 51

physics34

Established Member
Once again....the mark 3 was basically much better! Its scandalous that this plastic nonsence replaced them.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It says "major interior interior refresh", which it mentions as including a "deep clean". I had previously taken refurbishment = new seats and handrails, refresh = new seat covers and repainted handrails. So this is surely just a "clean"?..

Well obviously if it is coach G it will be all shiny but otherwise....

fowler9

Established Member
The 390s seem to be like Marmite :) Having travelled very regularly on them a few years ago I am a fan.

Madness! Ha ha. :D I jest of course. I quite like them when they aren't heavily loaded or I'm in first to be fair. When they are busy they are no worse than a budget airline, and I've never been on one longer than I've been on a budget airliner.

Last edited:

aylesbury

I travelled to Scotland in Febuary standard class good journey on time no probs with the train quiet, food available when required and no pong what else do you need.

fowler9

Established Member
I travelled to Scotland in Febuary standard class good journey on time no probs with the train quiet, food available when required and no pong what else do you need.

That all the time, not just on your train in February. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.