• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whats wrong with 'plastic'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Another problem with plastic trains, you can't get as many bikes on them as older units

How many people take there bikes on trains though?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
Did you know Cannon Street was the last time someone was killed in a MK1 coach?
But for new trains theres, Southall, Hatfield, Potters Bar, Selby, Ladbrook Grove, Newbury. Anyone think of anymore?

TheSlash

Established Member
Chaz said:
TheSlash said:
Another problem with plastic trains, you can't get as many bikes on them as older units

How many people take there bikes on trains though?
Quite alot actually. I used to ride my bike to Cosham station, put it on the train and goto Basingstoke where i'd get off and ride to work.
I used to put my bike on the train to London, or even just going into Portsmouth from Cosham. A high number of commuters used to put their bikes on the train, often it would be a squeeze to get mine on in the evening {bearing in mind the service was normally formed of 4 CIG}.
Then theres special events like the London to Brighton bike ride. I've caught the train from Portsmouth to London on the day this was happening, all services were booked 12 CIG and all 3 guards vans on all services were packed out.
GNER have a whole DVT to put bikes in, very good idea in my opinion

AlexS

Established Member
Southall - HST Mk3, Hatfield - Mk4, Potters Bar - 365, Selby - Mk4, Ladbrook Grove - Mk3 HST, Newbury - HST Mk3

Can safely be said if a Mk1 was involved in any of them, the fatalities list would be far higher. Apart from Mark3 buffet cars, they seem to hold up remarkably well in a crash.

Tom B

Established Member
Computers are excellent things. Trouble is people love wasting them on things like trains which do not need a computer. A driver is perfectly capable of pressing the "Door Open" button himself!!

Also there seems to be a lack of standardisation on new trains with different types of coupling for each manufacturer - but what about when you need to couple a locomotive or another MU up?

TheSlash

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
Computers are excellent things. Trouble is people love wasting them on things like trains which do not need a computer. A driver is perfectly capable of pressing the "Door Open" button himself!!

Also there seems to be a lack of standardisation on new trains with different types of coupling for each manufacturer - but what about when you need to couple a locomotive or another MU up?
Exactly what i think, glad someone else can see those 2 problems

Guinness

Established Member
Cockfosters said:

I agree with the Computer part Tom

The 170s all have the same coupling (With a couple of Exceptions IIRC) and is also capable of coupling with Pacers, Sprinters and of course themselfs - Although this rarely happens.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, 170s are standard (unlike some of the newer DMUs/EMUs! <( ).

In theory coupling a 158 or 170 to a 153 should slow it down to 75mph, right?

But the other day our 158 + 153 combo was exceeding 75mph. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.