• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your favourite diesel train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Enthusiast

No contest: Class 55 (Deltics). Runners up: Class 52 (Westerns) Class 42/43 (Warships) and class 50.

For novelty value, class 28 (Metrovicks) and class 14 (Teddy Bears).

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Locomotives: Deltics no contest, closely followed by Westerns & Warships.

Unit: would have to be the Blue Pullman & HST train sets, the latter preferably powered by the original Paxman Valenta power units.

mmh

Established Member
The Voyager. Seriously. If you'd told me as a kid I'd have sub three hour trains to London without electrification I'd not have believed a word of it. The word transformational is overused, but they genuinely were.

On Moderation
Valenta powered HST by a long way.

Honourable mentions for Classes 14, 37 and 68 in the UK and DB 218s (TB10/11 engines) and Amtrak/Metro-North P32AC-DMs.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Sorry to sound like a philistine, but I can only go by the ones I've travelled on so...
HST and class 158 for DMUs.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Nothing like a 50 to ride behind but always had a soft spot for peaks - seeing them as a 4 year old left a great impression!
Got to admit to a bit of a passion for SNCF 72000s too!
If have to add units then thumpers but, did like the noise of a TL11 in the pacers!!!

Peter Sarf

Established Member
No contest: Class 55 (Deltics). Runners up: Class 52 (Westerns) Class 42/43 (Warships) and class 50.

For novelty value, class 28 (Metrovicks) and class 14 (Teddy Bears).
Locomotives: Deltics no contest, closely followed by Westerns & Warships.

Unit: would have to be the Blue Pullman & HST train sets, the latter preferably powered by the original Paxman Valenta power units.

For me it is the class 52 Westerns followed by the Class 55 Deltics. Proud of HSTs and I like Thumpers (well I come from Southern EMU land).

Sadly never saw a Warship (class 42/43) or Hymek (class 35) in action but I do think the Hymeks were possibly the best looking locomotive.

Never a class 50 - just a jumped up 37 !.

route:oxford

Established Member
Class 26 or Class 27

I tend to think of them as the same loco (Shocking I know).

Class 156

It's such a likeable unit, in my mind it was the best Metro-Cammell or BR Unit.

Voyager

Many loathe them. But I spent quite some time in the late 90s, early noughties working in the Manchester area. They completely revolutionised my travel. I stopped driving and started taking the train from Scotland instead.

CW2

Established Member
Anything with an English Electric power unit.
Deltics
Little Sulzers (class 33 or lower)
Anything with a Maybach power unit.
Further afield, Alco and GM power, the older and noisier the better.
Kolomna diesels

Dislikes:
Big Sulzers.
Anything French (look good, sound rubbish)

py_megapixel

Established Member
I generally don't really like diesel traction that much. Massively prefer electric. But if I had to choose...

I'm going to be controversial and say a Class 195. People will say I have no taste but personally I love the swift acceleration and the spacious feel of these units.
After that, possibly an IC125 or a 158.

Other possible contenders are TPE's Mk5 sets and GAs FLIRTS, but I've never been on one so can't comment.

Again, people wil say I have no taste, but I never really liked sprinters other than 158s. They're all too noisy and draughty and they feel knackered, even after refurbishment.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Anything with an English Electric power unit.
Little Sulzers (class 33 or lower)

Dislikes:
Big Sulzers.

What he said ^

Mine is the Class 50.

Good lad!!!
My first recorded run was behind 50019 and I own a (albeit very small) part of repulse!
Plus with a lifelong link to RO7 I have a special affection for 50035

Add to that the HST, 185 for DMU (Why? Because the best place to be is in the centre cabs of a 6 car hammering through Morley tunnel!) and 411 for EMU where you will find me perched in the Swindon seats above the motors and that’s my collection of faves

Status
Not open for further replies.