• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your favourite item from your collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
I was just thinking that it might be interesting for people to say about some of the items from their collection and compare/share thoughts on them.
Personally, my favourite items from my collection of railway things are the older items, such as the Railtrack Rule Books, 1964/65 BR Southern Region timetable, 1989 BR timetable, and HST window labels.

What's your favourite item(s)?

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve got a valve and cam follower from D1062 Western Courier amongst a few other bits and bobs, and also an old Tyseley DMU destination blind which came to me via the thread about Collectors Corner (thanks again @ian1944).

Peter C

Established Member
I’ve got a valve and cam follower from D1062 Western Courier amongst a few other bits and bobs, and also an old Tyseley DMU destination blind which came to me via the thread about Collectors Corner (thanks again @ian1944).
Very interesting! The only items in my collection are leaflets/magazines/books. I'm on the lookout for old engine and unit parts (but probably won't find any for a reasonable price), and maybe some signs.

-Peter

xotGD

Established Member
Class 37 works plate. In ex-loco condition.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I was just thinking that it might be interesting for people to say about some of the items from their collection and compare/share thoughts on them.
Personally, my favourite items from my collection of railway things are the older items, such as the Railtrack Rule Books, 1964/65 BR Southern Region timetable, 1989 BR timetable, and HST window labels.

What's your favourite item(s)?

-Peter

I don't have any large items, the only older items I have are books, magazines and timetables.

I do find my two early 1960s Modern Railways fascinating by way of content; and my selection of old BR timetables from the 1960s-1990s which are interesting to compare with the present day.

Peter C

Established Member
I don't have any large items, the only older items I have are books, magazines and timetables.

I do find my two early 1960s Modern Railways fascinating by way of content; and my selection of old BR timetables from the 1960s-1990s which are interesting to compare with the present day.
I have a magazine from 1968 (Railway Magazine, October 1968) which has a bit on the Fifteen Guinea Special. Very interesting!

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Ebay :D

The person I bought it from had previously bought it from someone in the industry.
So many things are bought from eBay! :) Sometimes I wish that there was still the number of old engines/units being taken out of service and bits of them being sold around the place; it would make having a collection of interesting items easier! Am I right in thinking that BR were practically giving old steam locos away to heritage groups which wanted them and could store them because they saw no value in them?

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have a magazine from 1968 (Railway Magazine, October 1968) which has a bit on the Fifteen Guinea Special. Very interesting!

-Peter

Its all part of history really, and history has always interested me rail or otherwise.

Peter C

Established Member
Its all part of history really, and history has always interested me rail or otherwise.
Exactly. I'm interested in "modern" history in particular, with the railways being the best bit, in my opinion!

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Exactly. I'm interested in "modern" history in particular, with the railways being the best bit, in my opinion!

-Peter

I am much the same. My primary interest in history from about the First World war onwards, and railways from about the 1930s onwards.

Peter C

Established Member
I am much the same. My primary interest in history from about the First World war onwards, and railways from about the 1930s onwards.
I'm more interested in stuff from the Victorian period up to now, but whatever floats your boat!

-Peter

Czesziafan

I have a particular affection for the diesel hydraulics, and have managed to find bogie plates from most of the classes. Top to bottom:
Swindon Western class 52, Swindon Warship class 42, NBL Warship class 43, Hymek class 35. It took very many years to obtain all these but I got there in the end.Diesel hydraulic plates.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
I have a particular affection for the diesel hydraulics, and have managed to find bogie plates from most of the classes. Top to bottom:
Swindon Western class 52, Swindon Warship class 42, NBL Warship class 43, Hymek class 35. It took very many years to obtain all these but I got there in the end.View attachment 67041
Very cool! I am also a fan of the Hydraulics.

-Peter

Czesziafan

Very cool! I am also a fan of the Hydraulics.

-Peter
The class 52 ones were once easy to find but now much more difficult although they still pop up at auction from time to time. Same with the Hymeks but the Warship plates have always been very hard to find - it took me 30 years before I got one.

whhistle

On Moderation
A Swallow.

I think it's from an HST that is/was with GWR but I can't remember.
The number is on the back but I can't easily access it to read it.

Peter C

Established Member

Peter C

Established Member
Sorry to restart this thread, but seeing as the SVR Autumn Diesel Gala 2019 has finished, I was wondering if anyone picked up anything there to add to their collection? I know they were auctioning Virgin Pendolino nameplates and selling the nose crests from the 390s.
I picked up a couple of old British Railways Working Timetables - one from 1963 (£5) and one from 1977-78 (£2.50). Both South Eastern Division, both very interesting! I managed to pick up the two which weren't marked with "Stolen from (x)" on them! :D

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Sorry to restart this thread, but seeing as the SVR Autumn Diesel Gala 2019 has finished, I was wondering if anyone picked up anything there to add to their collection? I know they were auctioning Virgin Pendolino nameplates and selling the nose crests from the 390s.
I picked up a couple of old British Railways Working Timetables - one from 1963 (£5) and one from 1977-78 (£2.50). Both South Eastern Division, both very interesting! I managed to pick up the two which weren't marked with "Stolen from (x)" on them! :D

-Peter

Picked up a few items since August but nothing from the SVR, still haven't made it there.

Peter C

Established Member
Picked up a few items since August but nothing from the SVR, still haven't made it there.
Oh cool -what sort of things? :)
I managed to find quite a few railway booklets/leaflets from a few years ago the other day - including a GWR station facilities booklet, covering all of their stations, from May 2017 - do they still make them I wonder? :)

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Oh cool -what sort of things? :)

Some timetables like yourself; also a difficult to track down Doyle/Hirsch rolling stock book.

I managed to find quite a few railway booklets/leaflets from a few years ago the other day - including a GWR station facilities booklet, covering all of their stations, from May 2017 - do they still make them I wonder? :)

They still do their excellent route maps, so they might.

Peter C

Established Member
Some timetables like yourself; also a difficult to track down Doyle/Hirsch rolling stock book.

They still do their excellent route maps, so they might.
Interesting! :) I think one of the best things about collecting railway items is the bit when I find a rarer item, such as my EWS Traction & Traincrew Advice book, or my First Great Eastern Class 321 Manual - they make the hobby interesting!
I also have one of those route maps - they are amazing. The fact that they produce the whole rail network on them makes them so much better for the traveller. I can't remember where I picked up my facilities book - I assume Oxford, or maybe even Kingham? I won't have any record of where, though, so it will always be a mystery. :(

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Interesting! :) I think one of the best things about collecting railway items is the bit when I find a rarer item, such as my EWS Traction & Traincrew Advice book, or my First Great Eastern Class 321 Manual - they make the hobby interesting!
I also have one of those route maps - they are amazing. The fact that they produce the whole rail network on them makes them so much better for the traveller. I can't remember where I picked up my facilities book - I assume Oxford, or maybe even Kingham? I won't have any record of where, though, so it will always be a mystery. :(

-Peter

I think it's the rarer items that oven prove not only more interesting but more satisfying to collect.

I have a Paper Departure Poster for Nottingham Victoria, Summer 1957. Acquired from Collectors Corner next to Euston Station. Sadly it lives in a cardboard tube.

Attachments

• top.pdf
    134.9 KB · Views: 5
  • bottom.pdf
    149.6 KB · Views: 2

Peter C

Established Member
I have a Paper Departure Poster for Nottingham Victoria, Summer 1957. Acquired from Collectors Corner next to Euston Station. Sadly it lives in a cardboard tube.
That's cool! :) In my opinion I'd say keeping it in a safe storage place and then just having a butchers at it when you want is better than ruining it with Blu-tack or tape trying to stick it to a wall. (Although I did watch one person on YouTube who, having acquired some (relatively) old track diagrams (some from BR, some from around 2009 IIRC) decided to turn them into a sort of "wallpaper" for his shed! (His shed where he does Train Simulator videos for YT, and where he keeps his large collection of manuals and other BR items. He has all this stuff and then when you ask him, "Where did you get xyz from?" he says "Someone" - he knows people in-the-know!) :D

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
I can't remember where I picked up my facilities book - I assume Oxford, or maybe even Kingham? I won't have any record of where, though, so it will always be a mystery. :(

-Peter
Scratch that! I managed to find my "Great Western Railway Station Information" booklet from May 2017 the other day. It was in a plastic wallet with some other items and details the station facilities of all the GWR stations, with Paddington being first. Sad that there's no form of route map in it, though! :D

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.