• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your favourite train and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Of the current UK passenger rolling stock, Class 444. Just pleasant, airy, reasonably comfortable while maintaining high density seating, and do the job well. I think the TPE CAF EMUs may beat it though.

Harder to say more widely.

delt1c

Established Member
After all those years I can still see that look of panic on your face when D9000 drew forward :lol: ;)

The worst bit was when the buffet ran out of beer. A BBQ with no beer. Then being put through the middle road at Doncaster and having to reverse back.

class387

Established Member
On a pure basis of passenger comfort, the German ICE3.

I am also fond of, however for other reasons, LU A and D stock and the Networker family.

delt1c

Established Member
UK train , has to be the Edinburgh Glasgow MkII push piull with 27's

Glenmutchkin

Anything on the rapidly disappearing Indian Narrow Gauge lines. Slow trains full of interesting people with staff who have a pride in their job.

Gathursty

Established Member
I'm fond of the Parry's People Mover and the cascade LM to TPE class 350 trains which call at Wigan.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Had a ride on the DB Trans Europ Express once at a German rail event- easily the most luxurious train I have been on.

trash80

Established Member
I've always prefered the smaller locos to the big express ones, both in the steam and diesel age thus i'd go for a Class 31 and for a steamer something like a Fowler 4F.

As for multiple units the 1972 Tube Stock.

If i have to pick one then the Brush Type 2...

Nonsense

4472 Flying Scotsman

We're one of those bonkers families that rushes over to Wennington or wherever on a damp dark evening to catch a glimpse (and whiff) of the damn thing. Why? Dunno. I spent many formative years in damp dark places watching, by myself, utterly ordinary smelly diesels lug themselves past me, maybe the draw of the crowd is the draw. Hundreds of people turning out, without fail, to see a train. Thats magic.

I have a fondness for the Woodhead electrics, though I've never seen one move, and the class 89, for its uniqueness. For travel, the humble 158 has many happy memories, and many dreadful ones too.

I think its fair to say though, that I don't have a solid favourite.

gazthomas

Established Member
I was brought up on 47's. Yes, they were common place and much maligned in their time, but for me they evoke so many memories. I am particularly found of the early 47/7's - 47701 to 716 as my sister moved to the Scottish central belt in the mid-Eighties allowing me to ride them to Edinburgh Waverley, Perth and beyond.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I was brought up on 47's. Yes, they were common place and much maligned in their time, but for me they evoke so many memories. I am particularly found of the early 47/7's - 47701 to 716 as my sister moved to the Scottish central belt in the mid-Eighties allowing me to ride them to Edinburgh Waverley, Perth and beyond.

This. I have a fondness for the Sulzer type 2s, but I have few real memories of them other than the sound they made. Most of my memorable haulage was on ScR metals behind 47s and latterly 37s. I do remember returning north behind 47706 on a push-pull set and being told off for having a dirty face when I eventually returned to my seat. I didn't stick my head out of the window, mum - honest! :)

TheEdge

Established Member
Nothing in my mind will beat the sound of a King at speed. Many a enjoyable holiday in Devon spent with my grandad at Burlescombe watching railtours climb towards Whiteball, but nothing beats the sound of a King, especially the rhythmic thudding sound that the big GWR 4-6-0s make.

Why

HST for me, so sad my GWR trips on these wonderful looking machines are drawing to a close .... think i will move to Scotland !!

As my Grandmother got me into trains by taking me from Victoria to Worthing in the late 60s got a soft spot for 4CIGs

Established Member
Class 47's, looked good in almost any livery, though West Coasts maroon is as dull as dish water and makes all their excellent fleet of locos look crap. They also sound excellent, especially when being thrashed. Love 37s too, for similar reasons above.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
not that i would ever get involved in anything as spottery as this kind of thing but:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Established Member
My favourite type is the Class 507, favourite individual train is my username.

I don't know why, I just remember 507021 more than other Merseyrail trains. It's a good unit too.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As this thread is in History & Nostalgia, I'll stick to things no longer running*...

Deltics and Westerns both sound and look fantastic, though I never got to travel behind one in service due to being born in 1982. Another type I like despite no memory of riding them are the class 124 Trans-Pennine units- they just look amazing to me, not sure why!

For ones I do remember it has to be 45s/46s. One of my earliest railway memories is being about 3 years old (so 1985) on Huddersfield platform 8 with my parents, as what I now know to be a "Peak" roared in to take us to the seaside at Scarborough! Heritage DMUs in general (but particularly lower-density sets) get a silver rosette!

*= Apart from my steam favourite- I also need gauge allowance for this one as it is of course the famous Double Fairlie. If I ever got filthy rich I'd commission a standard gauge version!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
As this thread is in History & Nostalgia, I'll stick to things no longer running*...

Deltics and Westerns both sound and look fantastic, though I never got to travel behind one in service due to being born in 1982. Another type I like despite no memory of riding them are the class 124 Trans-Pennine units- they just look amazing to me, not sure why!

Yes! Travelled on those between Stalybridge and Leeds/York on a number of occasions back in the 1970s, they were probably the closest that a DMMU got to a locomotive hauled train, complete with buffet counter and compartments of the 8 seat variety in 2nd class if my memory serves correct. Very fond memories also of Peaks on trans-pennine services, as much as I loved them the class 40s always seemed to struggle on these trains, especially in the Yorkshire direction.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes! Travelled on those between Stalybridge and Leeds/York on a number of occasions back in the 1970s, they were probably the closest that a DMMU got to a locomotive hauled train, complete with buffet counter and compartments of the 8 seat variety in 2nd class if my memory serves correct. Very fond memories also of Peaks on trans-pennine services, as much as I loved them the class 40s always seemed to struggle on these trains, especially in the Yorkshire direction.

I think I've worked it out... Growing up (and using that term loosely!) when I did, headcode boxes (usually with dominoes or marker-lights) subconsciously make me think "that's a Proper Train!" so the 124s tick that box. Along with the 309/442-style curved cab windows they had a unique yet timeless look about them. A real shame none were saved, even just a driving car. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.