• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your favourite train and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I think I've worked it out... Growing up (and using that term loosely!) when I did, headcode boxes (usually with dominoes or marker-lights) subconsciously make me think "that's a Proper Train!" so the 124s tick that box. Along with the 309/442-style curved cab windows they had a unique yet timeless look about them. A real shame none were saved, even just a driving car. :(

It is truly sad non survived, mind you there are surviving units that had a very similar cab shell...how about the Glasgow Blue Train EMU?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
I suspect that the amount of blue asbestos in them might have hastened their demise... (and the Glasgow "Blue trains" had the same problem!)

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It is truly sad non survived, mind you there are surviving units that had a very similar cab shell...how about the Glasgow Blue Train EMU?

I remember riding on the sole unrefurbished 303 when it was on loan to Manchester and used alongside some of the "ruined" ones on Glossop services. Though they looked similar, all of these classes were unrelated (apart from 311s which were 303s built under contract (by Cravens of Sheffield IIRC)).

The surviving 303 vehicles are not secure by any stretch... I dread to think what sort of a state they're in now! :(

PaxmanValenta

What's your favourite train and why?

Class 37 with MK1 rolling stock including SK stock. I love the chugging tractor sound of the 37s, the smell of diesel exhaust and the wholesome aromatic smells inside the corridor coaches, a mixture of the wood trim and smell of oil rising up from the bogies. Also the Bournemouth blue seats and string luggage racks. The clickety click of the train on joined rail and the bouncing motion of the dark gangway between carriages.

I also love the HST.
If there is a train I hate, it's the Class 220/221 voyagers...need I say why lol?

duesselmartin

Established Member
At the risk of being uncool. I loved the NSE class 165. Wonderful modern 1990s feel to them.
Also, as seen on mY profile pic, Corsican narrow gauge DMUs.

Rick1984

Class 142. They've so crap they're good. Love them squealing round curves from Metrocentre to Newcastle, coming from Carlise.

Loco class 37. Noise and looks. Had the privilege of being pulled by DRS Vulcan in Big Logo livery from Yarmouth to Norwich. Looked beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.