• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Peter C

Established Member
I do like the doppelstock, there's a few different versions of them.

Yes, pretty much all normal German hauled coaches have a driving cab version. But they let them have seats in them.
Ooh that's quite cool really. Just the idea of being able to have double-deck stock is amazing!

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
I recently picked up another BR Maroon Gresley Teak Sleeping Coach for the railway so that I can form a short steam-era sleeper rake in addition to my Mk1 versions. It's not the latest and greatest Hornby version, but it was brand new and under £20 courtesy of Rails of Sheffield ebay sale :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I recently picked up another BR Maroon Gresley Teak Sleeping Coach for the railway so that I can form a short steam-era sleeper rake in addition to my Mk1 versions. It's not the latest and greatest Hornby version, but it was brand new and under £20 courtesy of Rails of Sheffield ebay sale :)
That’s a fantastic price in this day and age to be fair @Iskra.

Peter C

Established Member
Just looked one of them up online and they do look to be really nice models. Always quite partial to a sleeper coach personally, despite not having any on the layout - maybe I'll rectify that and copy your Gresley set - despite it being from an inferior 'Big Four' company... ;)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Just looked one of them up online and they do look to be really nice models. Always quite partial to a sleeper coach personally, despite not having any on the layout - maybe I'll rectify that and copy your Gresley set - despite it being from an inferior 'Big Four' company... ;)

-Peter
Yes, you don't see many GWR sleeper coaches RTR do you? I think some maroon or carmine/cream Gresley's would substitute nicely, even with an ugly dull-green locomotive at the front ;) GWR fans can argue about performance and 'claim' 100mph as much as they want, but there can be no debate that the LNER produced the nicest looking steam locomotives.

reddragon

Established Member
There are some bargains to be had on eBay loco wise at the moment.

I'm getting Heljan & Bachmann locos around £60-£70 each BNIB

TheEdge

Established Member
There are some bargains to be had on eBay loco wise at the moment.

I'm getting Heljan & Bachmann locos around £60-£70 each BNIB

Oh doesn't my wallet and watchlist know! I'm sure I'll post about it next week...

reddragon

Established Member
My latest acquisition is now live on my S&C page

This is a good price - 2 BIL

Bargain alert!!!!

Some super bargains on here, well below anyone else!

FGW HST @ £269.99

Last edited:

Ted633

New arrival from Kernow today. Been keeping an eye on the TC sets for a while, hoping for a sale. One set was put in the sale over the weekend and it just happened to be the one I was waiting on. Now my 33 finally has stock to run with.

IMG_20220120_173027.jpg
IMG_20220120_173043.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
New arrival from Kernow today. Been keeping an eye on the TC sets for a while, hoping for a sale. One set was put in the sale over the weekend and it just happened to be the one I was waiting on. Now my 33 finally has stock to run with.

View attachment 109046
View attachment 109047

That’s very nice. Is that the preserved TC set? I see it’s got a headlight so I assume so?

Ted633

That’s very nice. Is that the preserved TC set? I see it’s got a headlight so I assume so?
Unit 410. Tried to dig up some info, but it doesn't seem like it was preserved. Just lasted longer than some of the others and thus gained a headlight. Seems to disappear from photo records in the mid '90s

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Unit 410. Tried to dig up some info, but it doesn't seem like it was preserved. Just lasted longer than some of the others and thus gained a headlight. Seems to disappear from photo records in the mid '90s

Oh yes I see what you mean. Yours looks very similar to 417 at the Swanage railway in that livery.
I absolutely loved 33s and TC sets back in the day, I remember the thrash through the tunnel on the way out of Salisbury like it was yesterday.
My stepbrother and I cabbed a TC at St David’s once too…

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 109046
View attachment 109047
Now that does look nice. I know they're not the same class but the front end reminds me of 4-VEP 3417 in that livery!

Oh yes I see what you mean. Yours looks very similar to 417 at the Swanage railway in that livery.
I absolutely loved 33s and TC sets back in the day, I remember the thrash through the tunnel on the way out of Salisbury like it was yesterday.
My stepbrother and I cabbed a TC at St David’s once too…
And I was once on a preserved 4-TC going through Bewdley Tunnel on the SVR without the interior lights - can't quite remember the reason now though. Quite interesting in the corridor, at the end of one of the coaches :lol: Not as interesting as cabbing one, though...

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Sorry no link earlier - some great bargains!

View attachment 109046
View attachment 109047
I have a 491 - a seriously good unit!

SprattyHeath

Hi all, I've realised it's been a while since I posted anything related to models here, so coming up are my most recent purchases for this month :)1642868442201.png1642868325534.png1642868289669.png 1642868137158.png

reddragon

Established Member

SprattyHeath

Are you on DCC or analogue?

I have the Class 70 and it doesn't do slow speeds! My class 800 is very sensitive to uneven tracks too.

I have another delivery arrived today as well. Shall DCC it on Monday I guess.
I'm using a mixture at the moment, I intend to have all my locos fitted with DCC once my layout has been properly assembled

Peter C

Established Member
The Lima 60 still looks good after all these years too!
Well this is the thing - a lot of older models get some unfair publicity really just because they're old. I think in the coming months/couple of years we'll see an increase in the number of people going for older models to repaint/detail.

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member

SprattyHeath

Now I'm not particularly keen on the 70 styling but the model there looks superb. I do like the Azuma though, is that just a 5-car unit?
Yes, it's just a 5 car unit. Hornby did announce some extra coaches to make a 9 car 800/2 but I wont be getting them as the layout I'm building cannot accommodate that length

TheEdge

Established Member
Thanks eBay.

DSC_0827_2.JPG

I have such a soft spot for the BR 120 despite only managing to actually get behind one once. Like the airlines used the Covid downturn to accelerate the B747 withdrawal DB used it to withdraw these early 80s beasts. A few survive with private owners but the DB fleet are stored or scrapped. This is 120 151-6 wearing a bright blue advertising livery for ZDF, a German TV network similar to ITV, a nice flash of colour in a very DB Traffic Red fleet. Between the BR 120 and 101s a lot of these Werbeloks (advertising locos) are out there and I might have to seek some out.

A bit of an eBay bargain for £74. Although I was categorically told "no DCC" by the seller, pop the body off, a lovely 6 pin socket sat clear as day on top which was a nice surprise as I couldn't find proper confirmation if it did or didn't have one on historic shop pages.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks eBay.

View attachment 109259

I have such a soft spot for the BR 120 despite only managing to actually get behind one once. Like the airlines used the Covid downturn to accelerate the B747 withdrawal DB used it to withdraw these early 80s beasts. A few survive with private owners but the DB fleet are stored or scrapped. This is 120 151-6 wearing a bright blue advertising livery for ZDF, a German TV network similar to ITV, a nice flash of colour in a very DB Traffic Red fleet. Between the BR 120 and 101s a lot of these Werbeloks (advertising locos) are out there and I might have to seek some out.

A bit of an eBay bargain for £74. Although I was categorically told "no DCC" by the seller, pop the body off, a lovely 6 pin socket sat clear as day on top which was a nice surprise as I couldn't find proper confirmation if it did or didn't have one on historic shop pages.
Nice model, I like the livery - makes a nice change from DB traffic red all the time that you usually see. £74 sounds good, especially when it has a DCC socket despite purporting to not have!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice model, I like the livery - makes a nice change from DB traffic red all the time that you usually see. £74 sounds good, especially when it has a DCC socket despite purporting to not have!

I wish I knew a bit more about continental stuff!
It’s got some great roof detail for N gauge.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don't model the continent, but in 2004 Model Rail Magazine ran a free supplement with an issue entitled - Model Rail Continental. I don't think it ever became a title in its own right, but I still have the supplement.

Among the articles was one on prototypical short train formations in Europe, right through from France and Spain to Switzerland, Germany and Poland etc etc

Ever since I looked at the photos, I've been interested in the railways on the European Continent but I tend to find the more rural branches and secondary routes more interesting than the main lines. Though these days they really look and operate with sometimes stock little more than 10 years old often newer, a lot of the interesting stuff has gone...

And I prefer DB 103s to 120s anyway, but that's by-the-by! ;)

reddragon

Established Member
I'm tempted to get some continental stuff. Always liked German locos steam, diesel, electric plus Swiss electric locos.

Maybe even a US steam loco with sound for those whistles!