• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

DJ_K666

Mine was a Hornby T9 Southern Suburban 1938 train pack where the loco had a nasty case of Mazak rot. Hornby exchanged it with no quibble though so not too bad. It's also my one and only DCC loco so once I have a DCC controller (I'm thinking Powercab) I might get it going.

previous to that I found a Hornby Industrial Tank loco in a charity shop for a fiver, turns out someone had had the track an hour previously. It was a nn runner but I got it home and gave it a clean and a service it worked brilliantly.Funny what you find, sometimes.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Mine was a Hornby T9 Southern Suburban 1938 train pack where the loco had a nasty case of Mazak rot. Hornby exchanged it with no quibble though so not too bad. It's also my one and only DCC loco so once I have a DCC controller (I'm thinking Powercab) I might get it going.

previous to that I found a Hornby Insudtrial Tank loco in a charity shop for a fiver, turns out someone had had the track an hour previously. It was a nn runner but I got it home and gave it a clean and a service it worked brilliantly.Funny what you find, sometimes.
Some great finds there, have you got any
photos at all, it would be great to see what a fiver can get you?

DJ_K666

Some great finds there, have you got any
photos at all, it would be great to see what a fiver can get you?
None at the moment as they were on my old phone and it's packed up after my house move. I will be picking it up when I go down south again so hopefully some pictures to follow. I did actually find a shop in Eastbourne (Not Train Times although their second hand section was pretty epic) where they had a load of Bachmann stuff in display cases for reasonable amounts. Need track and boards at the moment so those are the current priority.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A rare visitor to Lapford. D1009 Western Invader being the only spare motive power for the Plymouth to Barnstaple service today.
Luckily I was there in 1976 to record it... ;)

DB8F55A5-D4FE-4E0B-8C1C-66376DAC8135.jpeg

D7F6BAF5-2E11-4836-8C9D-C093089A8777.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Those pictures look real! An excellent addition :)

I’m really pleased with it. I took a better picture this morning with proper daylight. The quality of the weathering is amazing.

3AEF3C9C-18D6-4890-8937-B86C1292C2A3.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
A rare visitor to Lapford. D1009 Western Invader being the only spare motive power for the Plymouth to Barnstaple service today.
Luckily I was there in 1976 to record it... ;)

View attachment 95588

View attachment 95589
I’m really pleased with it. I took a better picture this morning with proper daylight. The quality of the weathering is amazing.

View attachment 95598
That is a really useful super engine. The amount of detail for N gauge is brilliant! Lovely photos too. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That is a really useful super engine. The amount of detail for N gauge is brilliant! Lovely photos too. :)

-Peter

Thanks Peter. :)
I’ve just had a very fiddly session fitting the piping to the bufferbeam and I also swapped the ends around as one of the buffers was slightly wonky, but also because I wanted the internal WR headcode at the front.
Here’s the wee beast now...

BCDB10EB-DE0D-4C1B-AA0B-EADDFACF8935.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks Peter. :)
I’ve just had a very fiddly session fitting the piping to the bufferbeam and I also swapped the ends around as one of the buffers was slightly wonky, but also because I wanted the internal WR headcode at the front.
Here’s the wee beast now...

View attachment 95646
Now that looks even better. The amount of detail in N gauge will never fail to impress me.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Now that looks even better. The amount of detail in N gauge will never fail to impress me.

-Peter

This gives a good idea of the size of the thing. That’s a normal pair of tweezers next to it... ;)

E043B249-81C0-475D-8A62-CD8C2F256D57.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
This gives a good idea of the size of the thing. That’s a normal pair of tweezers next to it... ;)

View attachment 95792
I refuse to believe it. I'm going to start a conspiracy theory that those are actually gigantic tweezers, and that's an OO gauge loco :)
I hope that graffiti art is there permanently, and hasn't been done just for the photo!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I refuse to believe it. I'm going to start a conspiracy theory that those are actually gigantic tweezers, and that's an OO gauge loco :)
I hope that graffiti art is there permanently, and hasn't been done just for the photo!

-Peter

It’s a permanent work board mantra. :)

DJ_K666

Train times went a few years ago . It's now Eastbourne models and collectors centre. Most of there rail stock is S/H these day's .
Yes I went in there before Trevor unfortunately died and there was a really good selection. Last time it was similar but the second hand selection was less due to the shop still being relatively new. I did find an emporium on Terminus Road too that had a few interesting things in display cases too. Alas my wallet started squealing so I had to get out...

Luckily where I am now I have the excellent Tony's Trains of Rugby (Previously Barby Models) and he said if I need anything he can order it in so great stuff. I will certainly be supporting my local model shop.

BRblue33

Yes I went in there before Trevor unfortunately died and there was a really good selection. Last time it was similar but the second hand selection was less due to the shop still being relatively new. I did find an emporium on Terminus Road too that had a few interesting things in display cases too. Alas my wallet started squealing so I had to get out...

Luckily where I am now I have the excellent Tony's Trains of Rugby (Previously Barby Models) and he said if I need anything he can order it in so great stuff. I will certainly be supporting my local model shop.
The problem with the Eastbourne model shop now. He only keeps a few model railway items in stock. i put a order in a while ago took six weeks before they had it in stock. Don't use them now .

DJ_K666

The problem with the Eastbourne model shop now. He only keeps a few model railway items in stock. i put a order in a while ago took six weeks before they had it in stock. Don't use them now .
That's a shame. It used to be a case of you going in there and the next thing you know was Trevor smiling while he handed you your change.

I'm in Rugby now so it's a trip to Hillmorton Locks to buy trains lol.

Iskra

Established Member
A couple of new items from me, a class 20 to work with the 37 on flasks in the future. It’s DCC fitted and weathered by TMC.

I also got a buffet coach for railtours, preserved use and inclusion in express passenger rakes. It was new and £22 on ebay. I’ve quickly sprayed the underframe and ends, but need to do the buffers and roof still.

64B1A6CA-7F44-4A32-8344-6CDE91E4473A.jpeg51C53CD8-898B-46A4-80EB-5DE530CD9A63.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
I've noticed that eBay prices have dropped a little in the last week or so, maybe only until payday?
There’s a bit of turmoil with ebay selling at the moment, so it’s going to be really interesting to see which way prices go.

Peter C

Established Member
A couple of new items from me, a class 20 to work with the 37 on flasks in the future. It’s DCC fitted and weathered by TMC.

I also got a buffet coach for railtours, preserved use and inclusion in express passenger rakes. It was new and £22 on ebay. I’ve quickly sprayed the underframe and ends, but need to do the buffers and roof still.

View attachment 96963View attachment 96962
Those two additions both look very nice. The Class 20 is particularly interesting - I've always found the idea of using such an old engine on a modern railway really cool. :)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Those two additions both look very nice. The Class 20 is particularly interesting - I've always found the idea of using such an old engine on a modern railway really cool. :)

-Peter
Yes, me too and I've had a soft spot for them ever since I went on the DRS Class 20 farewell tour last year, so it was only a matter of time really... :D

Nice additions @Iskra. Have you bought an airbrush then?

Thanks, it's still a no on the airbrush front at the moment. Maybe one day, but it's not something I'm pursuing urgently; I only have one more acquisition to make which will be pre-weathered and then I'm done loco-wise so I'm not sure it's worth the investment currently. Rolling stock should be taking a back seat while I do some actual real work on the layout then :)

Peter C

Established Member
Yes, me too and I've had a soft spot for them ever since I went on the DRS Class 20 farewell tour last year, so it was only a matter of time really... :D
Even better then! That's the way I've ended up with quite a few of my engines. Always nice to have a reminder/memento of a nice journey/day out.

-Peter :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks, it's still a no on the airbrush front at the moment. Maybe one day, but it's not something I'm pursuing urgently; I only have one more acquisition to make which will be pre-weathered and then I'm done loco-wise so I'm not sure it's worth the investment currently. Rolling stock should be taking a back seat while I do some actual real work on the layout then :)

Well that’s probably fair enough. ;)

We’ve been up to Wales for a few days and my daughter got me another cement wagon for my birthday which was here when we got back (I gave her a few options for stuff I’d like - not all of it railway related, and she got me everything on the list! :lol: I must be doing something right).
Anyway, cement trains and class 31s were classic workings on the line back in the day (as this photo which isn’t mine shows):

5B1138B2-9CAF-4125-8D70-09B1D7AF33E2.png

DC580EBB-F214-4304-B9D1-FE3B33ACFDF1.jpeg

The last one is mine obviously.

reddragon

Established Member
Class 20's are the oldest mainline locos in service and the oldest non-test locos built, true relics, solid as a rock.

Their incessant squealing whistling drives me up the wall though

Peter C

Established Member
We’ve been up to Wales for a few days and my daughter got me another cement wagon for my birthday which was here when we got back (I gave her a few options for stuff I’d like - not all of it railway related, and she got me everything on the list! :lol: I must be doing something right).
Anyway, cement trains and class 31s were classic workings on the line back in the day (as this photo which isn’t mine shows):

View attachment 97026

View attachment 97025

The last one is mine obviously.
Happy Birthday first of all :) Sounds like a nice occasion!
There's very little difference between those two pictures you know - all you need is the little road sign pointing to those places seemingly from Postman Pat and then you've got a true replica... ;)
(In all seriousness, your model does look very nice - the rake of tanker wagons is impressive)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Even better then! That's the way I've ended up with quite a few of my engines. Always nice to have a reminder/memento of a nice journey/day out.

-Peter :)
Exactly!

- - - -

Excellent work @Cowley ,great original photo too and that's a nice rake of cement wagons you have there. And what a star getting you your full wish list! :D Happy birthday!

Class 20's are the oldest mainline locos in service and the oldest non-test locos built, true relics, solid as a rock.

Their incessant squealing whistling drives me up the wall though
I like the sound of them!

If you think 20's are annoying sound wise, what do you make of class 40 'whistlers'?? :D

Peter C

Established Member
If you think 20's are annoying sound wise, what do you make of class 40 'whistlers'?? :D
I once got a 20 and a 40 mixed up at the SVR a few years ago - not being well-versed on the sounds of diesel traction (I'd like to say I'm better at steam, but even then I'm dreadful), I took the whistling sound of, well, a 'Whistler' to be the chopper sound of a 'Chopper'. Still, quite a nice ride - despite some fellow passengers slowly making their way through the buffet's beer supply :)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I once got a 20 and a 40 mixed up at the SVR a few years ago - not being well-versed on the sounds of diesel traction (I'd like to say I'm better at steam, but even then I'm dreadful), I took the whistling sound of, well, a 'Whistler' to be the chopper sound of a 'Chopper'. Still, quite a nice ride - despite some fellow passengers slowly making their way through the buffet's beer supply :)

-Peter

They do sound similar to be fair! I wouldn't have a clue if it came to identifying steam loco's by their sounds :D Yes, I like both classes of locomotive :)

Peter C

Established Member
They do sound similar to be fair! I wouldn't have a clue if it came to identifying steam loco's by their sounds :D Yes, I like both classes of locomotive :)
All this talk about 20s and 40s makes me want to find some on eBay or somewhere for my layout - only problem is even Lima 20s are going for stupid money! (But that's a bit off-topic)

-Peter