• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

what's your(mess room)like??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick

steve158 said:
ours is very basic, a few tables and a tv, and a fridge.

We have a Porters room, alas its a general staff messroom. We have lockers, sink, tea/coffee/sugar, a kettle, a fridge, a bin, supplies (eg. bin bags, soaps, paper towels), and a cooker. We also have a table and some comfy chairs. Then of course we're surrounded by notices and of course BR signs and pictures. But it does have a certain essence of some S&T workers.

This is the one at Loughborough Central, can't speak for Quorn or Rothleys.

Gareth Hale

Our Mess room has 2 Cars in it, lots of books, a moped, 4 push bikes, 1 toy tractor, 1 ride on lawn mower and rubbish bins... Its called the Garage :roll:

Nick

Gareth Hale said:
Our Mess room has 2 Cars in it, lots of books, a moped, 4 push bikes, 1 toy tractor, 1 ride on lawn mower and rubbish bins... Its called the Garage :roll:

Gareth we're talking about railway ones, not your American car hole.

Coxster

Established Member
Down the EKR it's a coach that is also used for the main buffet. It's not like staff get in the way, afterall, more staff turn up than passengers!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Quorn: Small and compact, and is shared with the NAAFI Tea Shop, it has some cubpards, a Walls Ice Cream Freezer, Tea & Coffee, Orange and Blackcurrant Juice, a table and chairs, a cooker, a microwave, access to the Tea Shop via bobbing your head round the corner and being sneaky and best of all, a GREAT view down the double track towards Loughborough.

Rothley: Same place as Quorn's, however it doesnt share the Tea Shop, so it's rather large, it has all the basic stuff, Tea, Coffee, Table and Chairs, Cooker, Microwave, Fireplace, and offices, and also the place where stuff is stored to keep the station running.

The booking office at Rothley is rather nice as well, I'll be doing a turn as a Booking Clerk at Rothley on the 17th July, part of the TTI Training. :D

TheSlash

Established Member
We call them 'huts' on NR. Our hut is pretty basic, even worse now they've taken away the vending machines. Couple of fridges, water heater, sink and a few tables and chairs, i think we've got a microwave aswell. Our vans are like travelling messrooms aswell

Sprinter

I have seen the NLL staff messroom at Willesden Junction, just a peek, and they were all in there playing pool!!

Now I know what they get up to, apart from manning trains!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Makes me wonder what Newport's lot get up to...

I've glanced into a few mess rooms from passing them with open doors on platforms before now, here are some of them I've seen:

Swansea

Very basic small room. Noticeboard for notices and stuff. Windows for seeing out onto platforms 2 and 3. Couldn't see much else.

Cardiff Central, platforms 3 and 4 (there's another I believe on platform 4)

Again, small room. No windows, the door is usually open as a result. Noticeboards, PC, a few office-related things for it, chairs, desks, think that's about it. I managed to actually enter this one once due to (unintentionally I hasten to add) leaving my holdall with clothes and frozen stews on the 158 I had travelled down in from Hereford. Wearing my NUFC shirt got the usual 'Ah, why'd you wanna support them?' type comments, but it was all normal team fun.

Newport

As per usual, small-ish room, noticeboards, chairs and desks, couldn't see much else.

Rhymney

Standard desks and chairs, noticeboards, I believe there was a PC there, not sure now. Didn't look bad for a rural line's mess-room.

Carmarthen

Same as Newport, didn't see much else but what I saw there.

Hereford

Bigger than most of them, had tea and coffee-making facilities, PC with TRUST on it, notices, a fair few windows. Again, I've been in this one for enquiring about lost property (10-year old tripod, barely used, left on a CT 170 to Nottingham from Cardiff, it then having headed back to Hereford), once or twice for service information or TOC contact numbers. I'd say this one would be my favourite out of the ones I've seen.

Can't remember seeing any others. They're all ATW ones for the reason that I live in this area.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Makes me wonder what Newport's lot get up to...

The real Newport messroom... well depends which one you want lol! the ticketing staff one contains just about everything - posters about safety etc. err table, chairs, cupboards, microwave, sink and not forgetting the kettle.
Has quite a wales and borders trains feel to it

The mess room on plaforms 2&3 umm well - well as you leave the bit julian mentioned with a few chairs etc - the enquiries bit, we have our computer/announcement equipment - that leads into a room full of computer servers - i'm assuming they were for the train timing boards etc. that then leads into the messroom, usual stuff, pretty much a kitchen with a British rail feel to it.

Back to "what newports lot get up to..." we don't have a pool table! We're constantly boiling the kettle and drinking tea... end off!

The NLR one is one mile long as several meteres wide, yep, it's the whole line :D :shock:

The old Earl's Court smoking room was a luxurious place, as you can see from this photo.

Since refurbishment, we now have a reasonable canteen at Earl's Court, although usually full of BTP. The smoking room is a bit better, although there are plenty of windows, they're all locked closed so it's like sitting in a green house!

Acton canteen is undergoing refurb at the moment, but the temporary messroom is a freight container in the car park and is actually quite cosy! At least we have a freeview TV! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.