• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your "pet seat"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

185 - The fold down seats near the toilets when commuting, if it's at the front end in Sheffield people see the "1" on the door and don't crowd round it as much.
I go for the ones along the sides in that compartment, between the outer doors and the ones into first-class (assume there are no wheelchair users needing the space) - always avoid the ones immediately outside the bog (would rather stand), but plenty of people seem happy enough to sit there!

On 333s, I usually go for the single sideways ones between the vestibule screens and the back of the bays of three if I can. These are usually all taken if the train is reasonably loaded.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
Class 166 - Either the declassified first class area or the old first class area, both have the comfortable seats and large tables. These are really popular with commuters however, but I can usually get a seat there. It is also because I find the standard class seats so utterly dire.

GWR 800 standard class - One of the seats that backs onto the first class dividing wall on the 5 car sets. Just feels a little bit more private.

SWR 159s - I like the single first class seat closest to standard class

All other stock, I’m not that bothered about. I do like table seats in 153s due to the poor legroom at the airline seats.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I go for the ones along the sides in that compartment, between the outer doors and the ones into first-class (assume there are no wheelchair users needing the space) - always avoid the ones immediately outside the bog (would rather stand), but plenty of people seem happy enough to sit there!
They're OK for short journeys, and of course are better than standing (just). But after doing Manchester-Hull on one of those things, never again if I can help it.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Also: if it's a really busy commuter train with people standing, and someone has used a seat for their jacket or small bag... I make a beeline for those. I'm mean.
That's not mean at all. It's incredibly selfish to insist on placing luggage on seats at busy times.

xotGD

Established Member
The ex First Class 'armchairs' on Class 101 units used to be a treat. Especially if the blinds were open and you could see out of the front of the train.

Trackman

Established Member
On a Pendolino in first class I sit opposite the water fridge.
However, doing this on a regular basis (sitting in the same seat) for the same long journey can cause problems.
Once I was very tired and had a few glasses of wine before boarding the train at Euston. I sat in the seat opposite of my 'pet seat' dumped my bag and had a doze (can you see where this is heading?).
I woke up about 10 minutes later and was convinced the train was heading towards Euston.
I was frantically looking out of the window and even the tracks to suss out which direction I was travelling.
I even checked my tickets, I thought something had gone wrong and was heading back to Euston at 125mph!.
Anyway, it dawned on me I was in the wrong seat so moved.
My mind for a few minutes afterwards still thought I was travelling to Euston and not Manchester!

TRAX

Established Member
Any seat in a motor coach and sitting on the engine and/or motors.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
When I read the title I immediately thought: my cat - my testicles!

However on reading other answers it’s got to be the declassified 1st class in the refurbished ex-Scotrail Northern 170s on the Hull to Sheffield route.
Tbh I'm surprised nobody has answered with "sausages"! :lol:

BrianW

Established Member
... lines up properly with a window.

So frustrating when booking a 'window seat' to find it's solid panel (NO glass!) and you've got such an acute angle you can see NO outside on that side of the train- better to have an aisle seat, better for legroom too as long as you 'keep your feet in' when people/ trolley pass!

Established Member
As a kid I always had to sit in the motor coach of a class 306 EMU, left hand side leaving Liverpool St, first bay of 4 seats behind the driver after the longitudinal seats. Sad but true.

On a class 309 EMU above the leading bogie, the ride was exceptionally smooth.

Fast forward to today, and yet to work out the best seat on a Class 745 EMU.

I'm not particularly fussed these days but in the old days of the NIR 80 class I usually liked to sit in one of the rear-most seats of the power car. You get a big window and sure you're facing a wall but it was cosy and I enjoyed it. My goto spot when an 80 class came to take me to or from college if it was available.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Seat 29 in coach B on Crosscountry Voyagers where available. Window seat in the unreserved coach so no risk of having to play musical chairs mid-journey, and in a mid-saloon position which minimises the chance of anyone taking the aisle seat adjacent.

Not really relevant with the reduced numbers travelling in recent months and large number of double sets operating, mind, which has generally meant selecting a whole carriage to myself when I've had a need to travel. I used go for seat 25 (I think) in coach B on Pendolinos out of Euston based on similar criteria in the evening peak out of London a few years ago though.

MB162435

Established Member
On the GWR 150s I always try and sit in one of the disabled seats if I'm by myself due to the space available, as I only normally travel on them between Penryn and Truro on the Falmouth line in Cornwall, so once you leave Penryn it's highly unlikely anyone else will get on as most services skip the next stop Perranwell

If I'm with other people of course a table seat is the go to seat

Versa274

MK4 coach M seat 1 or 29 northbound and 63 or 33 Southbound.
Class 156 DMS first set of table seats nearest cab or middle where there is partition.
Class 195/331 the single seat behind the cab.
Class 150 at the back or front sections.
Class 444 first set of window seats in first class and standard behind cabs.
basically anywhere where there is a partition or singular seat

D2007wsm

Established Member
Before the 150/1s went off lease from GWR, I always tried to get the single seat next to the doors as being on it not that long it was quick to get off. Likewise on the 150/2s it was the tip up seat in the doorway opposite the side which opens onto a platform.

Now with predominantly 166s or mini HSTs, on a 166, it is straight to the end of the train in the declassified First Class or on a mini HST it is the single seat right at the end of the TGS.

Mathieu

ScotRail 156:
The table seats next to the bike racks with the old close-able parcel door

ScotRail 318:
The row of 2 seats under the pantograph in the middle coach, preferably on the right side. Only 2 seater table on the train

ScotRail 170:
The first class table for 4 on many of the declassified routes these units take.

Status
Not open for further replies.