• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wheel Slip/Poor Adhesion on First Scotrail Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
We seem to be getting a lot of poor rail adhesion up here. More noticeable on the North Clyde Electrics. 334's were badly affect. Infact worst affected, they we're slipping nearly every 2 seconds!

Just wondered if anywhere else was indeed the same. May sound a stupid question as it is Autumn/Winter and leaves do fall off trees :?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

{Edit} Indeed just to add on, it's not the first time there has been 1 or 2 other episodes with trains being cancelled or diverted or severelly delayed

I'm sure they will find out and sort it out.

What can yee expect going over those mountains with all that rain? :lol:

Jim

Established Member
We have had some bad wheelslip problems down here recentally. My 143 was slipping like anything on Saturday

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe the characteristics of newer EMUs (their increased weight, mostly) cause them to be more affected by these conditions than the older trains. I read an article about it somewhere (can't remember where now).

Simming

Its probably that there is more power in these new units that the olds ones which means there is more wheelslip, as most of the older units etc weren't as powerful.

As for pacers, they've got 50% less driving axles on the rails, therefore they are going to slip a tad.

Met Driver

Established Member
When I last travelled down to the EKR a few weeks back, the 375 was slipping like mad from Faversham onwards, in conditions which could only be described as damp.

andrewmay

The 323's are slipping more than normal down here in the West Midlands and I also travelled on a 175 from Shrewsbury to Birmingham and that had some of the worst wheelslip I've heard from a DMU. I have also travelled on the first X-City service into Birmingham quite a few times recently and that is a ride like no other!

Cheers,
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.