• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wheelflats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

If a train (say 220023) got a wheelflat heading Northbound and was terminated at Oxford on 1M03 0545 Gatwick to Manchester Picc, Oxford 0800, and shunted into the carriage sidings, say last Friday (24/11)... where would it go, when would it go, and how would it get there?

I've never seen a wheelflat (knowingly) before, but this one looked quite serious - it was just one wheel (or possibly one axle - I only saw one side). The wheel stopped turning, and just bumped along the rail on the shunt out to the sidings, and was smoking (or at least, something greyish was rising off the wheel) and sparking, and having to go quite slowly (was going to say gently, but in general Voyagers don't do gentle!).

I've really got no idea what would happen to the unit in this situation so if anyone can spread any light, I'd be interested. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

16CSVT2700

Established Member
VT control would most certainly be informed and a wheelskate be requested if the flat is that bad.

The unit would stay in the sidings until a rescue locomotive and the wheelskate are sourced and arrive on scene.

The wheelskate allows the stricken unit to be towed to the nearest or home depot for tyre-turning or replacement wheelset.

Max speed permitted is IIRC 20mph (5mph over points/crossings).

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to the virgin-trains group it is already on a wheel skate

devon_metro

Established Member
Crikey. I've had an HST from London-newton Abbot with a slight flat. Right above the bogie aswell!

TheSlash

Established Member
Basically a wheel skate forms a craddle for the damaged wheelset to sit in. This then allows the unit to be moved without further damage to the wheelset or the track.
Once the wheelset is in the skate, it will then be moved at between 15mph and 30mph {depending on the type of skate} along plain track, and 5mph through points, cross overs and level crossings, often to the nearest repair facility.
I'm not too up on depots around those parts that could do a wheelset change, any ideas, Sprog :?:

Andrew

Yeah, I thought it'd either go to Reading, or go straight for Central Rivers. Can Reading deal with changing a Voyager wheelset? The Voyagers have special 'low-trackforce' or somesuch wheels/wheelsets/bogies. I didn't know if they'd need special attention (ie at Central Rivers).

Thanks for all the information btw.

Established Member
Going slightly off topic, why do 323s always have wheelflats?

Lighweight units, lots of hard driving into/out of station stop with lots of slipping?

Think they like to drag Voyagers back to Central Rivers-presume it will go overnight and into every loop!

I doubt all the 323s have wheelflats. Could be the track (short welded rail?) If not it's probably wheelflats from slipping.

Respite

Lots of light weight units suffer from wheelflats due excessive sliding whilst braking. The 153's I drive all have wheel flats of some margin,this is mostly due to 153's not being fitted with sanders thus they don't half slide a lot.

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
Unlikely.
Reading depot only take care of First Great Western Link's Class 165 and 166 turbo units.

158s have visited Reading depot recently since FGW took over Wessex. It should also be remembered that Voyagers did use to use Reading Depot while they were being introduced (in Thames Trains days) but I doubt Alison would let a Branson train visit her depot :D

TheSlash

Established Member
I wasn't sure if Reading had the facilities.
When i worked at Fratton, skate moves went to Eastleigh, or Wimbledon if we could get the path. Skated a 'Central to Lovers Walk before, but Brighton fitters rode it

Sprog

Established Member
It will be Central Rivers i would imagine.

Would say Barton Hill, but they dont have the facillites to do lifts.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
158s have visited Reading depot recently since FGW took over Wessex. It should also be remembered that Voyagers did use to use Reading Depot while they were being introduced (in Thames Trains days) but I doubt Alison would let a Branson train visit her depot :D

True that, hence why I put unlikely instead of saying under no circumstances would they go there :pirate: ;)

If it hasn't already been moved, I would probably place bets on the vomit comet being moved to Muddy Waters depot.

devon_metro

Established Member
True that, hence why I put unlikely instead of saying under no circumstances would they go there :pirate: ;)

If it hasn't already been moved, I would probably place bets on the vomit comet being moved to Muddy Waters depot.

158761 had a new engine i believe.

metrocammel

I doubt all the 323s have wheelflats. Could be the track (short welded rail?) If not it's probably wheelflats from slipping.

I didn't know there was short-welded rail on the Up Fast between Man Picc & Stocki! ;), no 323's always seem to have flats. Ive never seen a flat on any train that is "noticeable", did the Voyager involved have to make an emergency brake application or somthing? for a wheelflat to be noticeable to passenger, it is not easily noticeable to the untrained eye, but that must have sounded like a bloody night club's bass to the pax!! Maybe it should be renamed "Ibiza Voyager"!

Andrew

The VT group says

Apparantly travelled some distance and at speed (allegedly upto 125mph)
with locked DRIVING axle (as it's the inner driven wheelset afftected)
and no locked axle/brake fault indication shown in cab/TMS.

It was a noticable flat IMO - you could see the wheel had marks on the sides before it moved off. You could hear and see it juddering along the rails on it's way out to the CS - the wheel simply wasn't turning. I wasn't on it, so can't comment on how it sounded from inside. Made an awful racket moving out to the sidings though! I can't imagine what it must have been like at any speed. They spent their time taking it into the sidings - it was still moving out a few minutes later when I passed it on the following train.

Status
Not open for further replies.