• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Wheels turning on work to demolish Dundee train station"

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
So over a year after my last thread on this (http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71011) and two since my first (http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63557), finally there's movement at Dundee.

Councillors will vote next week to approve a £1.5m contract to demolish the current concourse, with a temporary one opening up next month. The new concourse is due to open in 2015.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...ork-to-demolish-dundee-train-station-1.132110

Dundee’s £1 billion waterfront redevelopment is on track, with councillors to discuss the tender for the demolition of the city’s train station next week.

Members of the city development committee will consider a £1.5 million demolition project — a month ahead of the planned opening of a new entrance to the station.

The tender will cover the removal of the station buildings, lift, stairs and bridge structure as the next stage of the railway station redevelopment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
Umm, 1 BILLION pound waterfront? Seriously?! Is it going to be hewn from ivory and unicorn sh*te??!

marks87

Established Member
Umm, 1 BILLION pound waterfront? Seriously?!
Yes.

The transformation from this:

image.jpg

Into this:

image.jpg

Which thus far has seen copious amounts of demolition, bridge ramp and road realignment and the construction of a storm tank, all before any of the proposed new buildings are up.

So £1bn isn't far off.

route:oxford

Established Member
£1Bn...

Would it not have been cheaper to build a new road bridge in a less awkward location?

lonogrol

"train station"

Is correct use of the English language not taught to journalists these days?

marks87

Established Member
True

But would the centre of Dundee be quite so awful in the first place if the bridge didn't deliver traffic into the heart of it?
It wouldn't have existed (sort of).

Several docks were infilled to build the roads and ramps. If it had been built out of the city centre, those docks would have remained and the city never disconnected from the waterfront.

The aim now is to re-establish the connection by making proper use of the "new" land.

marks87

Established Member
Bump!

From Tuesday, a new temporary concourse will be in use, which from what I've seen appears to use the old Red Star Parcels entrance.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/all-change-for-dundee-train-station-1.146936

Dundee’s rail station will have a temporary new entrance from next week ahead of demolition work.

Passengers will be able to access the station via the new entrance at the lay-by on Riverside Drive, near the taxi rank, from next Tuesday.

It will enable a £1.5 million demolition project to get under way, with the station buildings, lift, stairs and bridge structure to be pulled down.

Good to see there's going to be two extra ticket machines in the temporary accommodation.

ian1944

Cynics would say that you couldn't do £1.5M worth of damage to the entire city. Certainly, it's one of the drabbest centres I know for a place of comparable size, with the walk from the city bus interchange in High St to the country bus station in Seagate going seamlessly from quite nice to grot in a quarter of a mile or so.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Dundee is much maligned but it is not as bad as you think. I took a hike up the Law a wee while back it fairly opened my eyes.

davetheguard

Established Member
"train station"

Is correct use of the English language not taught to journalists these days?

I agree, my teeth grate every time I hear "train station"

But it has become so common and widespread, I half expect to be pulled up for saying "railway station" these days.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Dundee isn't a bad city in my opinion, and much of the centre is quite nice. It also holds a slightly special place for me as it's the first place I bought clothes for my then, yet to be born son.

I also love the view of coming over the Tay Road Bridge with the city becoming ever closer as you cross.

I do agree that a new station is needed though, and I wish the city all the best with this new development. I hope it achieves a big increase in investment and visitors.

ian1944

I've had a family connection with Dundee all of my life, first being there in 1951 and frequently since. So yes, it's just as bad as I think. Obviously, it's better than it was (even as late as the 70s there were genuine slums, grinding poverty and children with deeply-ingrained dirt in such as the Hilltown area) but as townscapes go there's not much of distinction. Yes, it has a great topography with the Law and generally hilly terrain, and the riverside, but the point is what has been done with it.

There used to be an open-top bus tour, now discontinued, but I struggle to think of enough places in the city to make one likely again. Edinburgh, in contrast, has half a dozen different routes.

marks87

Established Member
The temporary concourse opened today and I swung by earlier on to take a look.

It's small, but functional. About 15'x15', with 3 ticket windows, 3 TVMs and a row of gates. Platform access is via former service stairs. I didn't get any photos, because I'd left my phone on my desk.

For anyone who knows the station, this is where the entrance now is - https://www.google.co.uk/maps?ll=56...=nZQPPHj_U_82r3_Im6NslQ&cbp=12,281.89,,0,4.09

Last edited:

marks87

Established Member
So after a (weather-delayed) possession over Christmas, the old station concourse has now gone.

However, they were left with insufficient time to completely remove the bridge that led from the ticket office to the stairs down to the platform. That might now have to wait until next Christmas if they can't secure another possession during the year (e.g. on a bank holiday).

While I'm generally glad to see the back of the old building, gone with it are loads of memories of being younger and heading off on holiday. It was the same when the footbridge from the city centre was demolished.

Status
Not open for further replies.