• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wheelskates under 153334

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLE

Established Member
Does anyone know why London Midland's 153334 has been sat in Coventry yard for the week? As of Thursday it was seemingly put onto wheelskates, this must be a serious engine/transmission issue?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why London Midland's 153334 has been sat in Coventry yard for the week? As of Thursday it was seemingly put onto wheelskates, this must be a serious engine/transmission issue?
How many wheels were on skates? It could just be a bad flat spot.

HLE

Established Member
How many wheels were on skates? It could just be a bad flat spot.

From what I could see it was both axles at the 'non original' end. Believe they are the driving axles, although I may be wrong

Eng274

Could be a hot axle box/bearing damage, very bad wheel flats or damage to the final drive or cardan shaft.

najaB

Veteran Member
From what I could see it was both axles at the 'non original' end. Believe they are the driving axles, although I may be wrong
That does point towards a serious drivetrain issue.

Last edited:

Smudger105e

To need to fit a skate it would need to either be tyre damage (or rather tread damage on monoblocs) or something preventing the wheel set turning such as axle bearing failure, final drive/gearbox failure or traction motor failure (for vehicles fitted with TMs ).

fgwrich

Established Member
To need to fit a skate it would need to either be tyre damage (or rather tread damage on monoblocs) or something preventing the wheel set turning such as axle bearing failure, final drive/gearbox failure or traction motor failure (for vehicles fitted with TMs ).

As you say, although having had a little experience with Sprinter based units in the past, it could well be a final drive seizure - that seems to be one of the more common faults with the BR Sprinter ranges.

HLE

Established Member
Cheers for the replies, looks like that units out of service for a while then!

Status
Not open for further replies.