• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When Are They Gonna Be Any Pendoleno Drags Into And From New Street Station ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave R

usually when there is a problem between new st and rugby. pendos are dragged from new st to nuneaton. couldn't say when though.

oliverj8

usually when there is a problem between new st and rugby. pendos are dragged from new st to nuneaton. couldn't say when though.

Not recently, they have been using Voyagers off the Birmingham - Scotland route and putting the Pendolinos off the London - Birmingham/Wolverhampton on that route.
So basically Pendolinos and Voyagers have swapped services from Birmingham, Pendos go north and Voyagers go south via Nuneaton. Hope this helps :D

David

Established Member
With the lack of available 57/3s and the various farces that ensued last time there was drags between Nuneaton and New Street, I imagine it would be quicker and easier to send them upto Stafford and reverse there to Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

Probably never happen though, as it makes too much sense !

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I imagine it would be quicker and easier to send them upto Stafford and reverse there to Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

That has happened a few times before.

thefab444

Established Member
I think Pendolino drags en masse are now dead, Virgin preferring to use 221s. Is there still the single booked drag to Holyhead on Saturdays?

Established Member
You'll know when a 57 is doing a drag in Brum because you'll see me going out for a pendo with my red pen :) (maybe)

route:oxford

Established Member
When Pendolinos are dragged, does the 57 "Thunderbird" have to lead, or can the Pendolino act as a DVT with the loco pushing?

Aictos

Established Member
When Pendolinos are dragged, does the 57 "Thunderbird" have to lead, or can the Pendolino act as a DVT with the loco pushing?

With the East Coast 91s, the Class 67 Thunderbirds are always at the leading end so I can only hazard a guess that it is the same with the 390s on the West Coast.

The only reason why the WSMR setup and the EWS Company Train is able to use a Class 67 to propel their train with the DVT leading is because of the various modifications made.

Old Timer

Established Member
With the lack of available 57/3s and the various farces that ensued last time there was drags between Nuneaton and New Street, I imagine it would be quicker and easier to send them upto Stafford and reverse there to Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

During any midweek disruption, the EBW Wolves services run via the Trent to Stafford then back to Wolves and vice-versa.

The 03 past the hour Euston to New St turn-rounds are automatically cancelled.

Normal plan is for Coventry and International passengers to be bussed from Rugby, or via LM local services if Coventry is available.

New St passengers are either transferred at Nuneaton, but past expereince has indicated that they prefer to send them via Stafford. This is probably because of the limited capacity on the Leceister to Birminghams.

In the reverse, New St passengers are sent via Nuneaton on the next available to pick up the next stopping Up service, which is not always the diverted Wolves service !

Coventry passengers are offered via Leamington and Marylebone.

Old Timer

Established Member
The 57s can only provide power for the on-board electrical and pneumatic services.

They were not intended to operate as surrogate P/P locos, bearing in mind the reason for their being provided is to rescue a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.