• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When are we expecting Avanti advance tickets to be on sale again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
When are we expecting Advance Tickets be on sale on the West Coast routes again? Once services return to normal and restrictions fully lifted?

Family member needs to make a vital journey from Dumfries to Formby and back but at the moment looks like the off peak return fare is going to be the best bet sadly, rather then an Advance fare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well, not until restrictions are lifted by the government, surely. Restrictions will probably be lifted in stages, so it'll depend on when leisure travel is permitted.

At the moment I'm struggling to see how a lengthy journey like that could be considered vital. If it is being undertaken as part of employment then surely the employer will help with costs should it be needed.

Liger05

Yes I'm in the same boat here.

I travel to Wolverhampton from London every weekend as my son lives with his mum there.

I book tickets in advance and and well was quite the shock to see how much I will have to pay.

Why is the advanced option no longer avaliable? They want to deter people from travelling? It's essential travel for me and I can't really not see my son for 6 weeks.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ah, ok, that's a scenario that hadn't crossed my mind. As the government has taken over all risk from rail franchises I suggest that you contact your MP about whether you should be inconvenienced in such a way.

gray1404

Established Member
I wonder if anyone knows of any good splits for the journey my family member will be making? Looks like any splits will be based on walk up tickets sadly.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Why is the advanced option no longer avaliable? They want to deter people from travelling? It's essential travel for me and I can't really not see my son for 6 weeks.
If it's essential travel then I imagine they will expect that you will pay the flexible price.
I personally think that it would be unwise to start opening trains back up again for Advance's as it would only encourage non essential travellers.

philthetube

Established Member
your mp will tell you that this is not essential travel, especially travelling from London think very hard about what you could be taking to your family before making that journey. Is not seeing your son for 6 weeks really worth that risk.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
your mp will tell you that this is not essential travel, especially travelling from London think very hard about what you could be taking to your family before making that journey. Is not seeing your son for 6 weeks really worth that risk.

Moving children between homes where the parents are separated is listed as essential travel, it's a specific exception.

janb

Moving children between homes where the parents are separated is listed as essential travel, it's a specific exception.

Indeed, but it wasn't clear if this was essential movement of a child under 18 between homes, or a father visiting his son which I would class as visiting relatives and not permitted. Stay home, save lives should be on everybody's mind, especially someone living in London.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sorry but it is not acceptable for people to start questioning others in this way; if anyone has any concerns with a forum post such as if you think it may break laws or conditions, report it and say nothing in the thread.

If anyone doesn't want to provide advice, that's fine, but please don't reply.

If anyone has any concerns or problems with any of this, please contact the volunteer forum staff team directly.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Many train companies do offer Advance fares but some aren't offering any, or aren't offering the full range.

Unfortunately this is increasing the cost for people who need to travel for various reasons (such as key workers, people with childcare issues, or to care for a vulnerable or elderly person, or for medical reasons etc etc... ) but I can understand why some TOCs are reluctant to offer Advance fares at present.
I wonder if anyone knows of any good splits for the journey my family member will be making? Looks like any splits will be based on walk up tickets sadly.
I'd be very surprised if Trainsplit didn't come up with the cheapest combination of walk-up tickets for any given itinerary.

It may not always find the cheapest combination of Advance fares, as that's not always possible, but it does in the vast majority of cases.

Trackman

Established Member
When are we expecting Advance Tickets be on sale on the West Coast routes again? Once services return to normal and restrictions fully lifted?

Family member needs to make a vital journey from Dumfries to Formby and back but at the moment looks like the off peak return fare is going to be the best bet sadly, rather then an Advance fare.

For your journey advance tickets are on sale from Monday 20th April.
It’s a bit odd as my usual jaunt down the WCML (which I’m not doing) advance tickets open up on Wednesday 15th April, I was going to post that, checked yours then found out it opened up later.

paul1609

Established Member
I'd imagine that the tocs will be taking stock of how many passengers are using their services under the current restrictions.
I think we will see a further reduction in services particularly in regional expresses with many destinations losing their through service to London.

gray1404

Established Member
For your journey advance tickets are on sale from Monday 20th April.
It’s a bit odd as my usual jaunt down the WCML (which I’m not doing) advance tickets open up on Wednesday 15th April, I was going to post that, checked yours then found out it opened up later.

Perhaps it is 15 April for journeys on Avanti West Coast only and then 20 April for tickets routed "and Connections" with other TOCs.....

If my family member books Advance tickets (2 to make up a return) for 20 April onwards and then decides not to travel, would they only be entitled to a fee free refund if the booked train is delayed/cancelled or are the current arrangements offering refunds applying to bookings made now too?

Any recommendation of the best TOC/retailer to book Advance tickets with at this time - offering the most generous policy in terms of refunds - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

alistairlees

Established Member
Perhaps it is 15 April for journeys on Avanti West Coast only and then 20 April for tickets routed "and Connections" with other TOCs.....

If my family member books Advance tickets (2 to make up a return) for 20 April onwards and then decides not to travel, would they only be entitled to a fee free refund if the booked train is delayed/cancelled or are the current arrangements offering refunds applying to bookings made now too?

Any recommendation of the best TOC/retailer to book Advance tickets with at this time - offering the most generous policy in terms of refunds - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)
There should really be no difference in refunds or exchanges policy between ANY retailers - whether TOC or third party - at this time. If there is, then someone is truing to take advantage of the Coronavirus situation. I very much hope no retailers are trying to do that. Because, morally, that’s a terrible thing to do.

gray1404

Established Member
If he books advances now though for later this month and decides not to travel, are TOCs still going to be as generous on giving refunds?

gray1404

Established Member
Why? Are the fee free refunds on advances restricted only to those booked before COVID-19 became an issue?

On the other hand it is arguable a customer should be refunded if they book now for a journey after the current restrictions are due to end, if the government chooses to extend the length of the restrictions.

alistairlees

Established Member
Why? Are the fee free refunds on advances restricted only to those booked before COVID-19 became an issue?

On the other hand it is arguable a customer should be refunded if they book now for a journey after the current restrictions are due to end, if the government chooses to extend the length of the restrictions.
The fee-free refunds apply to tickets booked before 07.00 on 23rd March. Since then it's been pretty clear what the situation is: don't travel, unless it's essential.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

My thoughts are:
  • In this case the travel is deemed essential so it's irrelevant if restrictions are eased or not.
  • In other cases, for non-essential travel, this could be a grey area but I would not book any Advance fares for the whole of April at the very least.
As you have the answers you need for this particular journey I think we are done here. But if anyone has any additional important information to add, report this post and let us know the details and we will consider reopening the thread or editing this post accordingly.

Edit: just to add it has been pointed out to me that you an only claim force majeure on an event that was unforeseeable; it would be difficult to argue that you were not aware that restrictions may be extended beyond the current end date, at least until the end of April. Therefore, only book an Advance fare for the foreseeable future if you are prepared to accept that risk, or if the travel is essential.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.