• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When buying a car costs less than your train journey....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
That's interesting to know. You would have thought the owners would be up in arms.

The result is that people lose an extra days holiday and have to travel when trains are both more crowded and expensive.

One agent once told me that it was the owners asking for these changes, at least in Whitby. I remember it well because I used to book a cottage via one of their websites & you could basically select whatever period you wished. However one year, I think it was either 2014 or 2015 that option had gone from the site, so I rang up and that is when they told me that. How true it is I don't know, but as you say the result is people having to travel on the most expensive days & that is starting to have an effect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Ticket price myth busted by Loco2. They make these infographics from time to time by interrogating the data for ticket sales they have built up, and it shows UK prices are comparable if you plan ahead (and can pick the right day)!

This would be handy to show those who don't realise quite how wide the variation in ticket price can be, and might include quite a few rail supporters as well as detractors. As a case in point I had not realised, till I say the graph on here, how linear the rise in price was as the time ticked past; I had assumed in the UK there were only a few price points with quite wide bands of time during which fares were valid.

Of course, that doesn't give you the full picture. Yes I know there are cheap fares from London to Manchester. Try getting one for £20 from Bristol to Manchester though or London to Cardiff (without a railcard and without split ticketing etc).

HowardGWR

Established Member
I'm still wondering what you do afterwards? Keep it and lay out a fortune on servicing and repairs? Sell it (I've sold private and it's not fun) or scrap it? And the paperwork...

It's so not viable except as a theoretical argument, or if you're looking for a free advert.
Scrapping is easy. I just did it. The scrap merchant just needs an id and the V5 and then SORNs it and then scraps it, all online and done in seconds. He (she in my case) gives you the printed out certificates and that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.