• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When did direct Kings Cross - Cleethorpes services end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

Even in the June 81-May 82 British Railways timetable, there were still three direct trains King's Cross-Cleethorpes
1D01 at 08:30
1D03 at 13:05
1D06 at 18:17
Does anyone know in which timetable direct services were shown for the last time and, if possible, where on the web can post-1982 ER timetables can be viewed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BigBird47537

There were through trains running at least until May 1993 but I'm not sure how much longer they lasted after that. The Winter 92/93 timetable shows:-

Mon-Fri
0612 Cleethorpes-King's Cross
1750 King's Cross-Cleethorpes

Sat
0612 Cleethorpes-King's Cross
1830 King's Cross-Cleethorpes

Sun
1255 Cleethorpes-King's Cross
2005 King's Cross-Cleethorpes

I'm sure when I started at The Cross in November 94 they had finished.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
They were culled - along with Shropshire services etc - as part of the overall top down reductions in Inter City links as part of the tight DfT policy of the time.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It was definately gone by May 1993 (as in the this was the first timetable without them) replaced by a 158 service from Cleethorpes - Newark. This then did a Cleethorpes to Cardiff service (again a 158 with a long wait at Nottingham), moved over from Cleethorpes - Crewe (156 operated).

The service was ran down in the later years of BR

For example its times moved around a lot. It aways used to depart slightly after 1800, at one point it was moved to around 1710, with its normal time replaced by a service to Leeds with a connection at Newark (which was quicker than the direct service)

Gareth Marston

Established Member
They were culled - along with Shropshire services etc - as part of the overall top down reductions in Inter City links as part of the tight DfT policy of the time.

And Blackpool and North Wales Coast though this was changed from six loco hauled a day to 3 HST's. Cambrian Coast Express year before. How ironic that these cuts "helped" prevent InterCity going into the red but the privatised InterCity TOCs who haven't restored these services need £ hundreds millions in subsidy.

82 recession culls were Haverfordwest and Barrow?

jonhewes

I wonder if one of the reasons the service fell under the too expensive option was sectorisation ?

Intercity would have had to pay Regional Railways for stabling/servicing/cleaning at the depot just outside Cleethorpes station, and then possibly railfreight for fuelling at Immingham depot.

I know that back in the days of 47s/Deltics hauling the Cleethorpes - KGX services, coaches would be shunted into the carriage cleaning/stabling plant while the locomotive went to Immingham depot for fuel.

Does anyone have any photos of depot at Cleethorpes from during this period?

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I wonder if one of the reasons the service fell under the too expensive option was sectorisation ?

Intercity would have had to pay Regional Railways for stabling/servicing/cleaning at the depot just outside Cleethorpes station, and then possibly railfreight for fuelling at Immingham depot.

I know that back in the days of 47s/Deltics hauling the Cleethorpes - KGX services, coaches would be shunted into the carriage cleaning/stabling plant while the locomotive went to Immingham depot for fuel.

Does anyone have any photos of depot at Cleethorpes from during this period?

Undoubtedly a number of factors at play the hunt for end of the rainbow the mythical core profitable railway was clearly one. West Coast culled its sub fleet of 47's and elimanted loco changes which had become an operational reliability issue since DVT's were introduced which worked better in semi permanently coupled formations. east Coast wanted to be a91 plus a few HST's railway but BR were prevented from having the quantity of HST sets it wanted by Govt back in the early 80's so there weren't enough of them to cover Cleethorpes.

Status
Not open for further replies.