• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When did high-intensity headlights become mandatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dubscottie

So why did 47825 have 2 headlights at each end?
It was an experiment. A loco would fail if its headlight was not working. So the fitted a spare.

There was an article in a railway publication from 1987 that said all trains that ran at 100mph or over and trains that traversed lines with many farm crossings had to have a headlight. The DOT made it law.

I think it it was 1993 before headlights became mandatory on all trains.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The first locomotive I ever saw fitted with the 87 style headlamp you mention above was actually a class 47 during late 1972 or early 73 at Manchester Piccadilly, I do have a shot of this but the slide needs to be scanned. From a hazy memory I think it was a D15xx series and I'm sure there was at least another 47 so fitted at the time.

One of the first ones thus equipped presumably? I think two 47s hot the 87-style one but I cannot find the numbers.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I’ve often wondered about this.
It’s not like you could stop in the distance illuminated by a high intensity headlight even though it would be longer than you’d had previously...
But you’d maybe have more chance of getting out of your seat and hiding in the engine room if you saw a landslide/herd of cows/stalled tractor on a crossing appear out of the gloom?
I wonder how many animals survived due to seeing the headlights? I expect it would’ve made a difference.

Surely the loco would fare better than an animal in most cases anyway?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
One of the first ones thus equipped presumably? I think two 47s hot the 87-style one but I cannot find the numbers.

Yes they were probably the very first with this type, it was 1547 that I saw at Manchester Piccadilly in April 1972 so before the first 87 had even entered service, not certain which number the other 47 so fitted was though.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes they were probably the very first with this type, it was 1547 that I saw at Manchester Piccadilly in April 1972 so before the first 87 had even entered service, not certain which number the other 47 so fitted was though.

Ah so the type of light predated the 87s then.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Having done a little digging it seems that 47432 (D1547), 47434, 47523 and 47601/901 had that type of headlight.
Quite hard to find a picture of one working though.

gg1

Established Member
in the 70 and 80s people used to be amazed that you would drive trains in the dark with no speedo or headlights and fully by knowing where you where by route knowlage with the odd signal or cutout painted yellow to help
to be fair it wasn't that difficult as you would learn often through months off repetition as a secondman so second nature
away from the obvious signals stations level crossings you would get cues from bridges jointed track rough spots embankments and cuttings with the odd landmark building or even tree would all subconsciously register in your brain to allert you where you are
off course in daylight hours you would have a different journey but in general the same fairly relaxed journey as night

Out of interest, and heading slightly off topic, which classes in operation at that time didn't have speedos? I know a lot of steam locos didn't but I was under the impression they were standard on all diesel and electric classes (with the possible exception of shunters).

big all

On Moderation
4subs 2x4epbs southern 2haps
they did retro fit epbs but with kph speedos with mph over stickers

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Having done a little digging it seems that 47432 (D1547), 47434, 47523 and 47601/901 had that type of headlight.
Quite hard to find a picture of one working though.

Thanks for confirming this Mr C, had a feeling there was more than just a couple of 47s fitted back then, if I get the chance I'll try to scan my slide of 1547 and post it sometime over the next couple of days if of interest?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for confirming this Mr C, had a feeling there was more than just a couple of 47s fitted back then, if I get the chance I'll try to scan my slide of 1547 and post it sometime over the next couple of days if of interest?
Please do. :smile:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Here you go....
May I just say. Phwoar! :D
It looks so new. Look at the clean wipers and the blemish free cab roof...
I wonder what sort of bulb and reflector arrangement was fitted in the headlight and how bright it was compared to a standard High Intensity Headlight?
Nice to see it illuminated.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
May I just say. Phwoar! :D
It looks so new. Look at the clean wipers and the blemish free cab roof...
I wonder what sort of bulb and reflector arrangement was fitted in the headlight and how bright it was compared to a standard High Intensity Headlight?
Nice to see it illuminated.

My memory was that there wasn't a lot of stray light off these lamps the beam seemed to be more controlled and focused straight ahead so appeared much brighter when seen head on from a distance away, rather different to the ultra bright lamps fitted to most locomotives and units nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.