• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When did they stop having porters on LU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comstock

This video

features an interview at 4:30 with a guy who started as a boy porter at Amersham station. When did LU stop having porters?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Can't provide you with a definitive answer, but LT were advertising for women porters in 1942, working from various West and NW London stations e.g. Neasden, Wembley, Hammersmith. My guess would be Met and District Lines had porters traditionally, which would fit in with the Amersham story.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Depends on what the job description for a 'porter' would have been. Perhaps today's station staff perform the tasks that porters would have done, and its only the job title which has changed

PeterC

Established Member
Depends on what the job description for a 'porter' would have been. Perhaps today's station staff perform the tasks that porters would have done, and its only the job title which has changed
I think up to the early 60s the public thought of platform staff as "porters" regardless of job title or duties. Places like Amersham would have had a genuine role for a porter at one time with mail, parcels and newspapers but I suspect that it would have remained as an anacronstic job title after those roles became redundant.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I think up to the early 60s the public thought of platform staff as "porters" regardless of job title or duties. Places like Amersham would have had a genuine role for a porter at one time with mail, parcels and newspapers but I suspect that it would have remained as an anacronstic job title after those roles became redundant.
Bit like today the public tend to refer to any member of railway staff as a 'guard'

pitdiver

The chap who is featured in the video is the " Famous" well on the Met was. Keith Tibbles. A vey decent guy, worked with him and many a chat when I worked out on the Met. However he had an endless store of terribly corny jokes.

Comstock

Yeah he seems a really nice old school train driver. Hopefully he's still enjoying his retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.