• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When did train codes cease to be displayed on trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
Display on the front to convey information to the signaller faded out in the 1970s (as already stated above). However, that didn't mean they stopped displaying info; sometimes the crew put the code in 'for fun'; sometimes they were simply left in whatever state they were in (so showing 'rubbish' as far as that particular service is concerned). Gradually the boxes were plated over.

Not the codes, but it does remind me of the practice of showing random locations on heritage DMUs, such as, for example, 'Merthyr Tydfil' on a Reading to Paddington service. ;)

Trackman

Established Member
Consideration was given as early as 1970, as the maintenance of the displays was costing BR a fortune.
Is it correct that when domino glasses were smashed (due to running not vandalism or anything) they were replaced with a plate rather than faffing about trying to source a new glass?
I was thinking about more high speed examples of the time.. like 55's, 86's etc.. but it seems class 86's were plated over no matter what.
Saying that, some other classes had a plate on one end and a domino on the other. 45's and of course 47 555 spring to mind, the latter I think was plated over at a later date.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Is it correct that when domino glasses were smashed (due to running not vandalism or anything) they were replaced with a plate rather than faffing about trying to source a new glass?
I was thinking about more high speed examples of the time.. like 55's, 86's etc.. but it seems class 86's were plated over no matter what.
Saying that, some other classes had a plate on one end and a domino on the other. 45's and of course 47 555 spring to mind, the latter I think was plated over at a later date.
That I don't know, but I'll see what I can find out.

Trackman

Established Member
That I don't know, but I'll see what I can find out.
Thanks.
A class 55 had one smashed on a railtour a few years back, that's what had me thinking.
There was 40 158 too (the only 40 with a plate?), not sure about 40 062, it could have been a plastic covering on one end.

John Luxton

Established Member
If I recall most of the Westerns had the loco number on the head code blinds in their final days.

Inversnecky

If the TRNs were originally displayed for the benefit of signalmen, then, upon removal, they could only be identified by position in the timetable, I presume?

They wouldn’t have identifying transponders like aircraft, but it’s not as though trains could overtake each other on a line!

Magdalia

Established Member
In a lot of these instances the end with the plate was a collision damage repair. In those days there were a lot of collisions.

Pit_buzzer

In a lot of these instances the end with the plate was a collision damage repair. In those days there were a lot of collisions.
For quite a few months after most locos were wound to 0000 Knottingley merry go round workings continued to display their 6Kxx reporting numbers as though nothing had changed. They finally fell into line some time in 1976 although could have been late 75,memory is getting a bit hazy now

Strathclyder

Established Member
In regards to locos having discs at one end and headcode boxes/dominos on the other, Peak D9/44009 Snowdon was a notable recipient of this. It recieved boxes as part of accident damage repairs at Derby in 1969. It retained this combo until it's withdrawal in March 1979.

(all image copyrights remain with their respective owners)

tbwbear

It was just GEC from 1968 onwards...
Yes, the advert has both the English Electric and AEI logos prominently displayed and then in very small letters - "English Electric-AEI Traction Ltd" - A subsidiary of GEC power engineering limited. Seems like they weren't pushing the GEC image at that stage. Also, the locomotive is described as being of 5,100 hp. The 87s were 5,000 werent they? So they lost 100hp with the headcode.

Railsigns

Established Member
The withdrawal of four-digit headcode indicators was first advised in operating notices around October 1975, with the wording below (the second sentence was added in January 1976):

* FOUR DIGIT INDICATORS ON LOCOMOTIVES
The four-digit indication hitherto displayed on the front of locomotives is being progressively withdrawn
and replaced by two white lights horizontally placed. In the meantime, certain regions are setting the
indicators to show four white zeros and such indication must not be regarded as an incorrect headcode.

gg1

Established Member
Regarding HST's, I've always wondered if the original purpose of the large window below the windscreen on the prototype power cars was to contain a headcode box/indicator, with the feature being deleted either at a a very late stage of design or after production started. It's certainly an unnecessarily large expanse of glass to merely house head, tail and marker lights.

450px-41001_in_loop_1972.jpg

XAM2175

Established Member
Regarding HST's, I've always wondered if the original purpose of the large window below the windscreen on the prototype power cars was to contain a headcode box/indicator, with the feature being deleted either at a a very late stage of design or after production started. It's certainly an unnecessarily large expanse of glass to merely house head, tail and marker lights.
That's been my suspicion as well.

nw1

Established Member
As an aside, SWR's 455s still display the SR headcode on their nearside roller blind

Yes, I do remember seeing that but I wasn't sure whether they were still shown.

I always thought it was a shame that the newer EMUs (444s, 450s, 377s etc) didn't have space to keep the headcode going. For some of us, SR headcodes were a nice quirky little feature of the stock of our childhood and youth and it would have been good to keep them going with a space for an electronic '81' or '92' on a 444, for instance :)

(As an aside I believe that the original BR/NSE plan for replacement of the slam-door stock with Class 47x long-distance Networkers would have allowed space for the headcode..)

D6968

If I recall most of the Westerns had the loco number on the head code blinds in their final days.
1023 had dominos fitted just before it worked a tour on the Eastern Region (need to check, but think it was ‘The Western Talisman’)

Magdalia

Established Member
1023 had dominos fitted just before it worked a tour on the Eastern Region (need to check, but think it was ‘The Western Talisman’)
Yes, it was the "Western Talisman". The story was that the Eastern Region insisted on dominoes, but that may be an urban myth.

L+Y

As others have said- discontinued in January 1976. I'm often surprised when people question dates with a loco clearly bearing dominoes or a working headcode: it's about the most prominent part of a locomotive!

As an aside, I've always thought pretty much all BR classes look more attractive with a working headcode display (or DMU route-indicator) as opposed to late 70s blanking.

Albaman

Something that always interested me in the days when headcodes were displayed, was the headcode at the other end of the locomotive which indicated what the previous working had been. In particular, the era when 2xclass50s worked the majority of WCML day time anglo Scottish trains , much information could be obtained on the overnight freight trains which these locos worked.

And ECS into Waterloo carried the headcode of the outgoing service though the same did not apply with down trains. I have this vague memory of 01 and 03 on down ECS, distinguishing between Clapham Yard and Wimbledon.

D6130

Established Member
And ECS into Waterloo carried the headcode of the outgoing service though the same did not apply with down trains. I have this vague memory of 01 and 03 on down ECS, distinguishing between Clapham Yard and Wimbledon.
Yes....and up ECS/van trains arriving in Clapham Junction Up Main Loop, prior to shunting into the yard, carried headcode 02.

Ken H

On Moderation
Surely that was wrong? The rear of the train should have carried the red panels in the headcode display to protect the rear of the train????

Veteran Member
Surely that was wrong? The rear of the train should have carried the red panels in the headcode display to protect the rear of the train????
Yes, in contrast to post #53.
They carried the headcode on the front. It was the same with steam disc codes.
Though when units carried an oil tail lamp and had stencil route codes (the pre-EPB ones), crews weren't so fussed - the tail lamp was essential, the route code could be left up (again, as with steam).

@Ken H sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. The head code of the outgoing service was carried on the front of the EMU as it headed into Waterloo in the evening peak. Passengers in the know would join the train knowing which service it would when it headed out. The rear of the ECS into Waterloo had the two red panels.

miklcct

On Moderation
GWR still displays route code nowadays in front of the train, like 03 for Reading - Redhill / Gatwick Airport and 51 for Cardiff - Portsmouth.

I wish such codes can be made standard across the country and displayed on every train.

January 1976 for some reason is sticking in my mind and this was across the whole BR network, from what I can remember the majority of locomotives and units from that month had their 4 character headcode boxes set to display 0O00.
I remember that in January 1976 and at the time wondered why all trains were displaying 0O00. Shortly after the class 52 Westerns used to display the loco number instead of 0O00 and also class 50s, minus one of the zeros in the number. Although with the 50s I’m not sure how long this continued as I remember by the summer of 1976 was the first time I saw a 50 with the display plated over with two lights replacing the headcode.

Status
Not open for further replies.