• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When do Advance tickets usually get released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

I'm looking to travel to London from Manchester on the 16th of April and return on the 17th of April. I always thought that booking in advance would give me the cheapest of prices however I've notice that there's not any reductions yet... Will this change and when?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Advance tickets are released roughly 12 weeks ahead of the date in question.

I note that it is exactly 12weeks from today until the 16th April so I suggest keep checking

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Engineering works are usually announce 12 weeks before the day they take place, timetables have to be finalised 8 weeks before the day they are used, so anywhere between 8 and 12 weeks ahead the advance tickets are released.

Ivo

Established Member
Discounts should be available at any time the ticket can be obtained. However, at present tickets and timetables are only available up to and including the 15th.

Damn. Too slow. Carry on...

trainophile

Established Member
Not all routes offer cheap Advance tickets so you can't rely on making a saving by buying early. If you do a test search for a date in (e.g.) March you'll be able to see if they do offer Advance tickets for your particular journey.

island

Veteran Member
You've not mentioned when you plan to travel, but you could fly for £70 with BMI.

Prodigy

You've not mentioned when you plan to travel, but you could fly for £70 with BMI.

I'm looking to travel to London from Manchester on the 16th of April and return on the 17th of April.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Booking Horizons page on the National Rail site is useful here.

I have changed the topic title to avoid confusion.

Advance tickets are a ticket type that are generally cheaper than Anytime or Off Peak tickets, they can be discounted with most Railcards. However any ticket that is available can be discounted (where appropriate) at the time of purchase. A discount is a reduction in price. Like any other ticket an Advance ticket could be discounted or non-discounted. Discounts available will vary on the journey made and any entitlement to discounts that the customer has.

Status
Not open for further replies.