• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When do you start getting ready to leave the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
While I was on a Manchester to Bournemouth train today when we arrived at Macclesfield a family of two adults and four children noticed we were at their stop and suddenly got up and started to exit the train naturally trying to get 4 children from sitting down to getting off the train when the doors are already open is a difficult task and needless to say they didn't manage it and they ended up having to go to Stoke-on-Trent. Naturally they thought it was the fault of the rail company for not giving them enough time to get off as despite being 4 minutes late CrossCountry should have waited longer.

I was wondering when you start getting ready to leave the train though do you wait until the announcement for your station? Do you have a set landmark where once you see it you know its time to start getting ready to get off? Or do you wait until the train enters the station?

I personally have set landmarks for each station that I know when I pass its time for me to start getting ready to exit the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

damo44

I don't usually have a lot to pack away, just a book or laptop which take a couple of seconds so I tend to wait until the train is in the station - unless I'm in a hurry and want to be at the front of the queue

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Depends... If I have a tight connection, I will be at the doors after we leave the previous station.

The Ham

Established Member
While I was on a Manchester to Bournemouth train today when we arrived at Macclesfield a family of two adults and four children noticed we were at their stop and suddenly got up and started to exit the train naturally trying to get 4 children from sitting down to getting off the train when the doors are already open is a difficult task and needless to say they didn't manage it and they ended up having to go to Stoke-on-Trent. Naturally they thought it was the fault of the rail company for not giving them enough time to get off as despite being 4 minutes late CrossCountry should have waited longer.

I was wondering when you start getting ready to leave the train though do you wait until the announcement for your station? Do you have a set landmark where once you see it you know its time to start getting ready to get off? Or do you wait until the train enters the station?

I personally have set landmarks for each station that I know when I pass its time for me to start getting ready to exit the train.

On a route I know, I base it on landmarks. Otherwise it is on time/announcements.

I would, especially when travelling with children, ensure that everything is packed away (probably at the preceding station) so it is just get up and go when we arrive at our station.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
On a route I know, I base it on landmarks. Otherwise it is on time/announcements.

I would, especially when travelling with children, ensure that everything is packed away (probably at the preceding station) so it is just get up and go when we arrive at our station.

Same here, look out for landmarks prior to station stop

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
If I was going to a station I haven't been to, say Bicester, how will I know landmarks, I can only rely on timetables which is no help on a late train, announcements should be made, not least for the blind.

KTHV

If it's somewhere I know - Landmarks (for example - coming into Droitwich Spa [DTW] from Worcester - I catch a road bridge out of the corner of my eye which I know is only 90 seconds from the station - so I don't have to look up from what I'm doing to know where I am)

I've I'm somewhere I don't know for the first time - I'd use the Maps app on my Smartphone to pinpoint where I am...

Established Member
For me it depends, if it's an end to end journey without a connection I'll let everyone else get off first so I can take my time, but if I have to catch another train then I'll be at the doors ready to get off.

rebmcr

Established Member
On the announcement unless I know the route enough to know whether there is a better point (e.g. Virgin into Euston comes too late for fast escape and too early for a relaxed exit).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

First time traveller, perhaps? Bus drivers see you in the mirror and wait for you to get off. On planes, you just *try* getting up before the door is open! :)

As for me, I have a few landmarks if I'm nearing Bletchley or MKC. For MKC southbound it's passing through Wolverton, for Bletchley northbound it's the bypass, for Leighton northbound (if changing there) it's that row of fairly ugly very high houses, if you know what I mean.

pemma

Veteran Member
Depends if I know the route.

If it's my local station (Knutsford) then when the train goes alongside Stanley Rd Industrial Estate if coming from the Chester direction or past Middle Walk if coming from the Manchester direction.

If it's going in to a terminus platform at Manchester Piccadilly then when I see platforms 13 and 14.

If it's Stockport going northbound then after the signals by Edgely Junction.

If I don't know the route then I make sure I'm ready a few minutes before the scheduled arrival time and then start moving either when the train starts slowing down or when the stop is announced.

PeterC

Established Member
Depends on how much I am carrying and how busy the train is and how busy the destination station is likely to be. I would try and be in a position to start making my way to the doors as the front of the train enters the station. If the station is busy I want to be at the door when it opens so that I am not pushing through passengers who have just boarded.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Morning Peak arriving at King's Cross. I sit and wait for all the other regulars to elbow each other out of the way to get off first, and then stand up to get off at my leisure.

Saturday morning arriving at King's Cross: Get up going through Gasworks Tunnel to avoid getting caught behind people faffing with their suitcases.

chris89

Established Member
As others depends on routes.

Coming into Wolverhampton (From Crewe End) Will get sorted just as the houses start to build up again after Penkridge station.

Into Edinburgh, don't bother until into the Gardens (If on VTWC), If Scotrail wait till the train stops and most people are off.

For Armadale, When start to go around the long sweeping curve just before the station, Other way (From Glasgow) when the announcement plays.

ash39

Established Member
Approaching York from the south, it's quite well practiced (even by some non-enthusiasts I know) to start getting ready to get off as the train passes Tesco just after the A64 bridge.

Works equally well at night as the sign is illuminated!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I normally make my way to the doors as the train is pulling out of the previous station unless I know that there's going to be more then about 10 mins to the next stop

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If it's somewhere I know - Landmarks (for example - coming into Droitwich Spa [DTW] from Worcester - I catch a road bridge out of the corner of my eye which I know is only 90 seconds from the station - so I don't have to look up from what I'm doing to know where I am)
That'll be the bridge carrying the by-pass, which as you say is long enough to notice the light drop as you pass under it. Likewise, heading into Worcester, passing through Tunnel Hill lets you know you have a minute until Shrub Hill, or 2-3 mins until arrival at Foregate St.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Varies very much by what journey I am making. Arriving at a terminus and in a rush, I get up and ready several minutes before arrival time. Arriving at terminus and not in a rush, let others off and out of my way first.

Arriving at an intermediate station, whether in a rush or not, work by booked time. If a familar run, then I use landmarks unless I have a lot to prepare or travelling with others then I get ready at least 5 minutes earlier.

For a trip into Hereford from the east, I get up and ready at Shelwick Junction which still allows an average of 3 minutes until arrival. From the north, the same point but with only 2 minutes until arrival then more urgency is required. From the south, I'm usually preparing from the moment I see the houses alongside the river. Random fact, I always look out for the house an elderly lady my Mum used to look after up there. I have an average of 3.5 minutes until arrival to get ready.

I have landmarks for other stations. These include Newport, Trowbridge, Cardiff Cental, Crewe, Birmingham New Street and more besides.

Depending on the journey, I will be ready to alight significantly before the arrival time anyway.

AJM580

Depends on the next connection - if its a tight one I'll be at the door about 5 mins before, otherwise I'll make my move as I see the platform ends.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I usually know the routes I travel along, so I would normally use landmarks, and if I am travelling on an unknown route, I wait until either the announcement or the approaching brake application, depending on which is first.

cf111

Established Member
Depends on the station, my usual haunts:

Inverness from the north - when passing over the Clachnaharry Swing Bridge
Inverness from the south/Aberdeen - when passing the train washing kit
Thurso - when leaving Georgemas, for some reason.
Elgin from Inverness - The token handover/level crossing just before the station
Aberdeen from Inverness - when the train enters Union Terrace Gardens
Glasgow Queen Street - When entering the tunnel
Edinburgh Waverley - When leaving Haymarket

Abpj17

As with a lot of others, it varies on whether I know the route, how busy the train is, how close to the door I'm sitting, how much clutter I've got to put away (such as stuff plugged into sockets). Sometimes using Google Maps on phones to see how close.

With kids, especially if they are sleeping, at least 10 mins in advance!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Last week I took it so easy getting off that I got locked on the train, having forgotten it was coming out of service! The driver saw me as he walked back and I walked up the train to be let off.

Note in diary; don't take it TOO easy when you're not in a rush. :D

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
On my usual journeys it's pretty easy- arriving at Batley from the west, I use the viaduct. Likewise with Dewsbury from the east. Batley from the west I use the Fire Engine Factory or the signal box & crossing if I have more than one bag to organise. When arriving at Huddersfield from the East, I would use the football ground or gas container, but as I'm usually stood right by a door anyway due to overcrowding, I don't need to!

96tommy

Approaching York from the north I get ready when passing under the Ring Road near Clifton Moor. Approaching from the south, I get ready when passing the Tesco's at Askham Bar.

The other station I use on a regular basis is London King's Cross. If I have work (books/laptop/notes etc..) I begin to pack up when passing the Builder's Depot at New Southgate. If I'm travelling light, I get ready when passing the Emirates and if the train is quiet, move towards the front to save walking down the platform at King's X

roversfan2001

Established Member
For Leyland heading north, either after leaving Euxton Balshaw Lane or Buckshaw Parkway; and the penultimate bridge over the railway when heading south. For Preston coming from the south, when going over the bridge over the River Ribble (hardly ever come in from the north). For any other station either when the announcement is made or when the train starts to slow down.

christhebull

How much time I allow depends on how familiar I am with the route, whether I have a tight connection (in which case I will try to be at the door when the train stops), and what I'm carrying in terms of luggage really [especially if I have my laptop out].

Coming into Waterloo I will probably get up when I see the Newport Street Gallery (or just before that) and make my way towards the front of the train if it's fairly quiet.

Into Temple Meads via Chippenham, I would probably pack my laptop away when I pass the Keynsham Tunnel and can see the industrial areas of St Philips.

I invariably have a fairly tight connection at Reading changing between North Downs Line and GWML services (not helped by the distance between platforms 4-6 and the footbridge), so I will pack up at Wokingham and try to make my way to the front of the train. Likewise travelling the other way, I will probably pack up when going past Tilehurst.

Status
Not open for further replies.