• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When do you want the new Star Trek series to be set?

When do you want the new Star Trek to be set?

• After Enterprise or during the Romulan War.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Before Kirk's five year mission but still in the 23rd Century.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between The Undiscovered Country (ST6) and TNG.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • During the Dominion War.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Just after Voyager finished.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • A new later Century, like STFF animated series plan.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other, please leave a comment.

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
It's a multiple choice poll.
With rumour about the 2017 series circulating, I thought I'd ask what Star Trek period you want to see on the series.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Here's a chart showing when the current series' are set.

Attachments

• Timelines.jpeg
    Timelines.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 31

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Probably around the time that Bajor becomes a member of the federation

I imagine that would be soon after Deep Space Nine ended, since it was only Ben Cisko who stopped them joining in the first place.

This poll is interesting, the rumours were saying that the new series is set after Star Trek 6, but no one voted on that option yet

There's 3 "Other" votes which haven't been commented for, I'd like to know which periods they are, Khan on Earth or other pre Enterprise? Mirror or Negative Universe? Same timeframe as any of the current series? Further into the future where timeships are used? What ever it is please leave a comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I wouldn't mind seeing a new series set during the original show's time period. The Federation was always intended to be a true Utopian society the eyes of Roddenbury saw it, and moving beyond the need to obtain personal possessions or wealth was really at odds to the American Dream of the 1960s.

I'd love to see a modern representation and rationale of such a society as shown to today's viewing public, especially with the rise in atheism and libertarianism among the populace.

Yes, it's a bit of a sad thing to wonder on, but I'm the sort of person who notices if a bus's internal safety posters is using a non-standard typeface or suchlike. :oops:

Bevan Price

Established Member
I think it should be several centuries after any previous series. Although Deep Space 9 & Voyager had good stories and casts, there is a danger that a series set at that time would just become a re-hash of old stories. Better to start afresh with new casts and new "enemies

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Around 2400 would possibly be a good time, the existing actors could play their same roles, they'd look as if they'd aged in the in-show universe but each would have progressed up the ranks

TheNewNo2

I imagine that would be soon after Deep Space Nine ended, since it was only Ben Cisko who stopped them joining in the first place.

This poll is interesting, the rumours were saying that the new series is set after Star Trek 6, but no one voted on that option yet

There's 3 "Other" votes which haven't been commented for, I'd like to know which periods they are, Khan on Earth or other pre Enterprise? Mirror or Negative Universe? Same timeframe as any of the current series? Further into the future where timeships are used? What ever it is please leave a comment.

Sisko.

Of course, in the post-TV books, Bajor has been in the Federation for about 10 years, and a Bajoran even became president temporarily.

I'm honestly not sure when I'd like a new Trek to be set. To be quite frank, I'd probably just enjoy them taking the books and dramatising them. The writers have significantly expanded the Trek verse since the TV shows went off air, with the books now something like 10-20 years beyond the end of the TV shows. More to the point, they've brought in a recurring cast of political characters, beginning (well, more or less) with Keith RA deCandido's The Trek Wing, Articles of the Federation. That has allowed the books to tell a much bigger story than "ship goes to planet, gets in trouble, find a way out, go home".

Of course the best Trek book is Christopher L Bennett's "Watching the Clock", showing the work of the Department of Temporal Investigations.

Status
Not open for further replies.