• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When does a day become a Void Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snail

Established Member
Just been to renew my season ticket with TPE. I checked the poster at the station before going to the ticket office and it showed above target reliability and punctuality for the year but noted 5 void days in August (5, 10, 12, 13 & 17) for Transpennine North West, so I got an extra week added to my monthly season.

It got me wondering though how days get declared void. I can understand it when the rail system grinds to a halt but I don't remember my journeys being that disrupted this month. Is it a fudge to keep the reliability and punctuality stats looking ok?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Any day can be declared void by a TOC. It is my understanding that these days are not counted for the purposes of the Train Service Performance statistics (as defined in the Passenger's Charter - I am unsure whether or not these are the same as the PPM), contingent on which they may be forced to offer you a 5% or 10% discount on renewal

EDIT: These statistics are the same as the reliability and punctuality statistics you speak of

Last edited:

CNash

So what's to stop the TOCs picking out their 5 worst punctuality/reliability days and declaring them void, thus skewing the actual statistics that they'll later use to promote their services?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
So what's to stop the TOCs picking out their 5 worst punctuality/reliability days and declaring them void, thus skewing the actual statistics that they'll later use to promote their services?

I'm not sure - but for every void day they'll be giving a free day of travel to those renewing seasons so there is a financial penalty.

PermitToTravel

Established Member

I think this is exactly what void days are intended to be used for

michael769

Established Member
Void days are days where it was not possible to offer an effective service. The ToC decides what this means.

While the days do not count towards performance stats, season ticket holders are entitled to compensation (typically by adding an extra day to their renewal ticket).

Last edited:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Is that really compensation for a season ticket holder?

It just means your renewal date moves back a week.

AndyLandy

Established Member
Fr better. I would want the money there and then not a notional amount in 10years or so.

If you buy monthly season tickets, it would only take ~20 void days until you've clocked up a month. Assuming you're also paid monthly, you can realise that month's ticket cost then.

Status
Not open for further replies.