• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When is a Bus an "Old Bus" and what to do with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
The fact is that on front line services, most vehicles will be retired from those duties after no more than 7 years. They will then be cascaded onto second tier services and then perhaps onto a more general pool of lower margin services, spares, schools etc.

Come to Cornwall we have 20 year old buses (K reg Olympian, seems to get the longest routes!) from 70-80 mile round trip routes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Come to Cornwall we have 20 year old buses (K reg Olympian, seems to get the longest routes!) from 70-80 mile round trip routes.

Hence use of the word "most". However, think about it. Those are mainly K-LAE Olyms. They were new to Bristol for the 48/49 (I think) but were then replaced and sent to Yorkshire and then to Cornwall when fully depreciated for lower margin services?

In fact, how many deckers do Cornwall have that aren't second hand?

swifty

Established Member

And it's was the same under Western National!

First has bought 59 new vehicles for Devon & Cornwall between 2005 and 2007, how many of those are still left?

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Hence use of the word "most". However, think about it. Those are mainly K-LAE Olyms. They were new to Bristol for the 48/49 (I think) but were then replaced and sent to Yorkshire and then to Cornwall when fully depreciated for lower margin services?

In fact, how many deckers do Cornwall have that aren't second hand?

We've got some K***ORLs which have been in D+C since new, they aren't second hand, they are old though!

We will have some brand new deckers come April 2014 though, currently on order for Truro P+R

richw

Veteran Member
Lifted from the South Devon Bus War thread...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capuchinoking/10489449415/

Which do you think the average passenger would prefer if they didn't have a First/Stagecoach pass already? The Dirty and Battered 20 year old Olympian or the Brand new and clean Gold spec Scania?

I think the average passenger will look at the fare, if these are the same then I would imagine the gold Scania. I note the photo owner commented on Flickr it was an even split of passengers going for first and stagecoach at this stop, so perhaps not as obvious choice as suggested

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I think the average passenger will look at the fare, if these are the same then I would imagine the gold Scania. I note the photo owner commented on Flickr it was an even split of passengers going for first and stagecoach at this stop, so perhaps not as obvious choice as suggested

May well be a reflection of customers who have First passes?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
None, that we're new to Cornwall. However FDC have 27 that aren't second hand, 3 of which are not low floor.

Exactly, though you might (if you're being pedantic) argue that Torpoint's Tridents were new to Cornwall ;)

However, the 3 x 55 plate Tridents that were delivered for the Newquay to Falmouth service were soon reallocated, and these were the first new deckers for Cornwall since 1981.

So until next year, that's 3 deckers in 33 years so yes, fair to say that Cornwall does rely on cascades. Also, the nature of tying in schools work with other service work will mean that ageing deckers will be working all day.

Polo Mint

I thought First Manchester had some sheds in its fleet until I went to Devon and was shocked at the state of their vehicles.

I consider any bus that is R reg or older as an old bus, but it depends where you live. People in more rural areas may be used to having older buses.

richw

Veteran Member
May well be a reflection of customers who have First passes?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
However, the 3 x 55 plate Tridents that were delivered for the Newquay to Falmouth service were soon reallocated, and these were the first new deckers for Cornwall since 1981.

There were some A reg Olympians new to Cornwall which would have been 1983/4 if an A reg.

Status
Not open for further replies.