• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When is station road not station road

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzureOtsu

Station Road in middle wallop, no railway to be seen and no railway ever in this village

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-191253_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210603-191253_Maps.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I generally talk about the 'train station' to avoid confusion, and to avoid clever persons asking which station I mean.

"Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof", 'I only understand train station' is usually translated to 'it is all Greek to me'.

kermit

Station Road in Earl Shilton Leicestershire has never had a station or even a railway line within a couple of miles. The nearest station is Hinckley on the line between Leicester & Nuneaton.
Doesn't the road lead to the former Elmesthorpe Station (by the Wentworth Arms)?

The word "station" existed long before the railways and was used to describe a variety of features, such as military posts, stopping places for stage coaches, and so on. See https://www.etymonline.com/word/station. So it would seem very plausible that some Station Roads take their name from one of these other types of station.
I can think of at least one, but not UK: Allenwood in County Kildare, Ireland, never had a railway station, but it has a Station Road, which takes its name from a former power station (which was supplied with peat via Bord na Móna 3' gauge lines, but was never on the national railway network). I half-recall that there's at least one Station Road (and probably more than one) in the UK named for an RAF station, but I could be wrong.

randyrippley

Established Member
Station Rd in Blackpool is one that doesn't make sense as its nowhere near any of the stations - unless there was a closed one between Blackpool South and the Pleasure Beach. Was the original south shore terminus much further south?
See this Google map: the road leads to the abandoned railway land half a mile or so south of Blackpool South

Gloster

Established Member
Station Rd in Blackpool is one that doesn't make sense as its nowhere near any of the stations - unless there was a closed one between Blackpool South and the Pleasure Beach. Was the original south shore terminus much further south?
See this Google map: the road leads to the abandoned railway land half a mile or so south of Blackpool South
The 1891 25” map on the NLS’s site shows a South Shore Station roughly at the end of Station Road.

Last edited:

JRT

Station Road in Settle goes past Settle station but ends in Giggleswick at a mini roundabout. The straight on, Brackenber Lane, goes to Giggleswick Station. I am told Station Road was named for Giggleswick Station before Settle station opened.
(Giggleswick station was originally called Settle as it was the only station to serve Settle at the time. )

dcs34

Station Road, Archway on what is now the Overground and site of a Royal Mail facility and industrial park, but previously some sort of goods yard / rail depot judging by the layout.

Dave W

Station Road, Archway on what is now the Overground and site of a Royal Mail facility and industrial park, but previously some sort of goods yard / rail depot judging by the layout.
Junction Road station was on the corner of Station Road and Junction Road.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That went past Junction Road station, previously Junction Road for Tufnell Park, closed in 1943, so I think that’s a valid station road that did lead to a station...

Spamcan81

The village of Langford in Bedfordshire has a Station Road running through the southern side of the village, but AFAIW has never had an actual railway station; the two nearest stations being Biggleswade to the north and Arlesey to the south.

It had some goods sidings but never a station. Not only that but had a station been built, access would have been off Cambridge Road not Station Road.

PeterC

Established Member
There's a station road and station approach on canvey island in essex that never had a railway I believe
You are forgetting the failed monorail which was projected to run past one end of station road. I have no idea if a station was planned at that point.

K.o.R

Station Road, just north of Copner Bridge, Portsmouth, it’s about half way between Fratton and Hilsea and was built in anticipation of a station that was never built.

Plus Station Road in Farlington, which leads down to the (many years prior) closed footbridge at the triangle.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Ormskirk is unique I believe in having one station, but four different roads named for it: Railway Approach; Railway Road; Station Approach; and Station Road. The station itself is on Station Approach, making Station Road vaguely relevant to this thread.
Sandown has a Station Approach on one side, and a Station Avenue, Station Lane and Station Road all leading towards it on the other side. Just needs a small new build residential development in a Station Close now! :lol:

Gloster

Established Member
Plus Station Road in Farlington, which leads down to the (many years prior) closed footbridge at the triangle.
There used to be a halt on the Portsmouth line immediately west of Farlington Junction: it was open 1891-1937, with two periods of closure, according to Wikipedia. A map in the NHL’s collection shows a footbridge over both the Cosham and Portsmouth lines that also served as access to the halt from Station Road, which looks as though it only ran north-east away when the line closed.

EDIT: I see this repeats much of the information in the link embedded in the original post. I failed to notice that.

MCSHF007

Whilst (reluctantly) appreciating the 'logic' I still despair at anyone with an understanding of/affinity for railways using the term "train station" <D

Class800

Established Member
I don't like 'train station', but it's certainly understandable - foreigners use it a lot, and I think it's to be expected. There's a whole other debate about 'rail station' vs 'railway station'!

Mordac

Established Member
Whilst (reluctantly) appreciating the 'logic' I still despair at anyone with an understanding of/affinity for railways using the term "train station" <D
You should let Northern Ireland Railways know.
gEjC1HC.jpg

mmh

Established Member
You should let Northern Ireland Railways know.
Regional / different nation variations in language and dialect exist of course. Companies may or may not get it right, of course - see for example all the years where the Glasgow Subway was branded "Underground" despite no local calling it that.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes, I knew about that location, but the evidence that there was a station at some point means it isn’t what this thread is after, as emphasised in post #7.

Journeyman

Established Member
The original Winchburgh station, which closed in the 1930s, has a Station Road which formerly led to it. The town also has a recently built Station View, in readiness for the proposed new station.

mtmikethom

Not quite to title subject but if you were a stranger in Welham Green and walked down Station Road expecting to find Welham Green Station you might be a little off course, though you would come across one eventually

Thebaz

Carshalton has a Station Road which does not lead to the station and is not even in the vicinity of the station unless you count the London end of the recently extended platforms. What makes it more odd is that the station occupies the same spot it always has done, so this road has never even led to a previous build of the station.

1624281703929.png

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The original Central Station was further North, just south of Coral Island between Seasiders Way and Bonny Street, it's now a car park. I guess South Station moved too.

Alsager has a Station Road that is close to, but not actually at, the Station. Curiously, the road the Station is on changes its name at the level crossing, with Audley Road greeting you if you get off a train from Stoke & Sandbach Road South if you get off a train from Crewe, Station Road is a short walk away from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.