• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When might I be able to visit my friend again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
My name is Luke and as I have Aspergers Syndrome.

I have found it challenging to adapt to this new environment as us Aspies don't like change I really love travelling my train my local station is Liverpool South Parkway and until this kicked off I travelled by train to see my (best) friend in Chester up to every week and I do like travelling on train journeys with my Mum too.

I was shocked with how quickly this Covid 19 virus has escalated to the point that it directly effects our everyday lives and although I have a very logically thinking mind I can sometimes think worst case scenario I keep reading posts on some forums that we will have to wait for a vaccine until things totally get back to normal which could be 18 months away.

I get anxious that I will not be able to do the things I love for that long at the moment I am following the guidelines and understand why they are needed but surely we cannot sustain this level of restriction on our lives for that long?

Any idea when I will be able to travel by train to see my best friend again the fact that I cannot it making me anxious from time to time hopefully we will be able to do it again by the summer surely if the current level of restrictions continues through the summer how will it be sustainable with the warmer weather and longer days?

I just need a bit of reassurance because of my ASD and also it is my 40th birthday in July and I do not want Covid 19 spoiling my ability to celebrate it with my family and friends.

Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
My name is Luke and as I have Aspergers Syndrome I have found it challenging to adapt to this new environment as us Aspies don't like change I really love travelling my train my local station is Liverpool South Parkway and until this kicked off I travelled by train to see my (best) friend in Chester up to every week and I do like travelling on train journeys with my Mum too. I was shocked with how quickly this Covid 19 virus has escalated to the point that it directly effects our everyday lives and although I have a very logically thinking mind I can sometimes think worst case scenario I keep reading posts on some forums that we will have to wait for a vaccine until things totally get back to normal which could be 18 months away. I get anxious that I will not be able to do the things I love for that long at the moment I am following the guidelines and understand why they are needed but surely we cannot sustain this level of restriction on our lives for that long? Any idea when I will be able to travel by train to see my best friend again the fact that I cannot it making me anxious from time to time hopefully we will be able to do it again by the summer surely if the current level of restrictions continues through the summer how will it be sustainable with the warmer weather and longer days? I just need a bit of reassurance because of my ASD and also it is my 40th birthday in July and I do not want Covid 19 spoiling my ability to celebrate it with my family and friends.

Luke
It must be tough for you. I have to say I can’t see us in lockdown like this for the next 18 months. I think restrictions will be loosened a bit, but not back to normal, with tightening a possibility if the virus became a problem again.
However long it lasts, it won’t be forever though, so I look forward to the time when normality returns - regardless of whether that’s 6, 12 or 18 months away, or sooner or later.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My name is Luke and as I have Aspergers Syndrome I have found it challenging to adapt to this new environment as us Aspies don't like change I really love travelling my train my local station is Liverpool South Parkway and until this kicked off I travelled by train to see my (best) friend in Chester up to every week and I do like travelling on train journeys with my Mum too. I was shocked with how quickly this Covid 19 virus has escalated to the point that it directly effects our everyday lives and although I have a very logically thinking mind I can sometimes think worst case scenario I keep reading posts on some forums that we will have to wait for a vaccine until things totally get back to normal which could be 18 months away. I get anxious that I will not be able to do the things I love for that long at the moment I am following the guidelines and understand why they are needed but surely we cannot sustain this level of restriction on our lives for that long? Any idea when I will be able to travel by train to see my best friend again the fact that I cannot it making me anxious from time to time hopefully we will be able to do it again by the summer surely if the current level of restrictions continues through the summer how will it be sustainable with the warmer weather and longer days? I just need a bit of reassurance because of my ASD and also it is my 40th birthday in July and I do not want Covid 19 spoiling my ability to celebrate it with my family and friends.

Luke

Nobody can give an accurate answer as to what restrictions may be in place when your birthday comes around.

My only suggestion is, if there are still restrictions in place in July, consider a birthday even set up on Zoom or Skype. The next best thing to seeing other people in person.

bramling

Veteran Member

Luke

Im afraid the simple answer is no one really knows at this moment. The government no doubt have ideas as to what might happen in certain scenarios, but with good reason if they do they’re not going to let on.

A lot will depend on the next couple of weeks, and how the infection and death rates go.

It really doesn’t help that the memories of the pre-lockdown weekend will be foremost in the mind, and no one wants a repeat of that.

I realise this probably isn’t what you were hoping to read, however this is tough for everyone so you’re not alone in this.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Im afraid the simple answer is no one really knows at this moment. The government no doubt have ideas as to what might happen in certain scenarios, but with good reason if they do they’re not going to let on.

A lot will depend on the next couple of weeks, and how the infection and death rates go.

It really doesn’t help that the memories of the pre-lockdown weekend will be foremost in the mind, and no one wants a repeat of that.

I realise this probably isn’t what you were hoping to read, however this is tough for everyone so you’re not alone in this.

FWIW I celebrated my 40th with friends last October, my actual birthday is July but the date worked better. Perhaps that's something to look to? Or if not, a Zoom party?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Difficult to say when, but I don't see how the current restrictions could possibly be in place in July; the harm of doing that would be far too great in my opinion

There is an interesting, and very long, article here, but the short answer is that we don't yet know

When can I see my family? Have friends round? Have a night out? A holiday? Or even go back to work? When can children go back to school?

Lockdowns have been essential for containing the spread of coronavirus, but they are causing huge disruption, and distress, to lives around the world.

So when can they be lifted?

There are big decisions for governments to make - when to act, which restrictions to lift, how to contain the virus instead and how to balance saving lives today with long-term damage to society.
Prof Ferguson has suggested measures could begin to be lifted by the end of May....

johnnychips

Established Member
Hey Luke

I understand how difficult things must be at the moment. What I would do is this:
- accept that your birthday celebration will have to remain on hold at the moment. Make sure you tell your friends and family that this is a postponement not a cancellation, and will definitely be rearranged when it can.
- I know people with Asperger Syndrome like routine. So get a routine of Skypeing or phoning your friends and family on certain days at a set time. Tell them in advance when you are going to contact them. With some people it could be daily, others less so (after all there are only so many things you can talk about).
- You said you have a logical mind. If you are 39, then you will have realised that your chances of dying of this virus are very low. Of course you will be worried about your older relatives, and if they tell you they are following official advice you should be reassured.
- This is very important. Get out of the house. Go for long walks through the streets and the parks near you. It really clears your head up, and incidentally builds up your immune system.
- if you feel upset, depressed or want to share your experience, there are a lot of nice people on here. You can always PM me if you want. You should never feel alone on this.
- it WILL get better eventually. It’s a pain at the moment, but I bet you’ll have a great time at your delayed birthday party.

Look after yourself.

John

tony_mac

Established Member
This situation is completely unprecedented, there really is no way of knowing how long restrictions will last. I think it may be a good idea to try and prepare yourself for it being a long time, rather than feeling frustrated that it is still ongoing.

For some comparison (the only one we really have), Wuhan has started lifting restrictions after about 10 weeks - but even there schools are still closed, and not everyone is allowed to travel. But they had much more strict restrictions than we have and (subject to the figures being correct) it was not as deadly there when they started as it is here.

There are about 1.5 million people who have been told not to go out, at all, for at least another 10 weeks, so at least you aren't one of those.

MattA7

I also have Asperger’s syndrome and find the situation difficult especially as I live alone in a fairly small town. The biggest thing that affects me is no long attending weekly religious worship which is not only important from a religious point of view but it was also place to socialize to a extent

I’m 26 however I do have health issues that result in a weakened immune system such as being very underweight (BMI of 13.6) and years of malnutrition in addition to other health issues even a common cold has been known to become a raging chest infection so the thought of becoming infected with the virus is a worry. I don’t drive and muscle weakness causes problems with heavy lifting so I have no choice but to go to the supermarket every other day
I do take precautions but still it no guarantees that you will be safe from the virus.

6Gman

Established Member
I also have Asperger’s syndrome and find the situation difficult especially as I live alone in a fairly small town. The biggest thing that affects me is no long attending weekly religious worship which is not only important from a religious point of view but it was also place to socialize to a extent

I’m 26 however I do have health issues that result in a weakened immune system such as being very underweight (BMI of 13.6) and years of malnutrition in addition to other health issues even a common cold has been known to become a raging chest infection so the thought of becoming infected with the virus is a worry. I don’t drive and muscle weakness causes problems with heavy lifting so I have no choice but to go to the supermarket every other day
I do take precautions but still it no guarantees that you will be safe from the virus.

Is there a volunteer scheme in your area who could do some shopping for you?

tony_mac

Established Member
I don’t drive and muscle weakness causes problems with heavy lifting so I have no choice but to go to the supermarket every other day
Are you able to get food deliveries at all? Morrisons do a food box that is delivered by courier, so you don't need a nearby store, although you don't get to choose what's in it. Amazon also have some selections of food that can be delivered.
You do need to look after yourself, don't put yourself at risk if you don't have to - we could be in this for some time to come.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I had a telephone appointment with my Neurologist on Friday and being his last of the day we went off piste a bit, chatting about Covid-19. I asked him the same question and he didn't know when life will start to get back to normal but he did say "Don't expect any changes until July". Obviously that's an informed opinion but nonetheless is still just an opinion. He expressed disgust at the handling of the crisis and said "testing is the key and we can't even get that together at the moment".

joncombe

I'm also finding it very hard particularly the uncertainty of how long it will last.

I did read this article on the BBC which started off quite re-assuring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52226763

But it ends with

"I don't think the normal life we had before coronavirus will come back," the prime minister told Danish public broadcaster DR.

I really really hope that's not the case. Never going back to normal? We can't be expected to live the rest of our lives with frequent "lock downs" or always having to keep 2 metres from other people can we? I assume that is what she meant? I don't speak Danish or I'd try to watch it myself because I'm really hoping she clarified what part of "normal" life won't be coming back.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I really really hope that's not the case. Never going back to normal? We can't be expected to live the rest of our lives with frequent "lock downs" or always having to keep 2 metres from other people can we? I assume that is what she meant? I don't speak Danish or I'd try to watch it myself because I'm really hoping she clarified what part of "normal" life won't be coming back.

I don’t think that’s what was meant by this quote, as eventually it would get to a point where a vaccine is available and immunity is common and there would be no purposes to prevent social contact or to enforce lockdown anymore, however I fear that is well over a year away.

I believe instead what is meant that this will likely have an effect on daily lives and create a new form of normal, a large part of which I imagine will involve a more flexible form of working from home with regular office visits rather than commuting daily to a workplace to complete work which could be completed at home.

I really don’t see how these current restrictions could possibly last any more than 3-4 months (we’re almost 1 month in already) before we are forced to lift them due to the economy being unable to survive.

MattA7

Are you able to get food deliveries at all? Morrisons do a food box that is delivered by courier, so you don't need a nearby store, although you don't get to choose what's in it. Amazon also have some selections of food that can be delivered.
You do need to look after yourself, don't put yourself at risk if you don't have to - we could be in this for some time to come.

i don’t think Morrison’s deliver in my area tesco and asda do but it’s difficult to get a delivery slot. I will may give my support worker a call and ask if any services are available he informed me last week he was going on annual leave for a week so I could not contact him this week.

bramling

Veteran Member
Difficult to say when, but I don't see how the current restrictions could possibly be in place in July; the harm of doing that would be far too great in my opinion

There is an interesting, and very long, article here, but the short answer is that we don't yet know

I think a big problem is going to be the 2 metre rule, if it can’t be lifted then there’s all sorts of problems which are difficult to reconcile. From what I understand my lot have already had discussions with DFT about what sort of service they might able to run, and the general feeling is there’s zero chance of a full service due to the shield people representing too much of the numbers.

2 metres decimates the normal capacity which can be carried, and that’s going to make it very difficult to carry much more than the current key workers to/from work.

It simply isn’t going to be that easy to restart things, bearing in mind the current arrangement is only just catering for the bare e
I don’t think that’s what was meant by this quote, as eventually it would get to a point where a vaccine is available and immunity is common and there would be no purposes to prevent social contact or to enforce lockdown anymore, however I fear that is well over a year away.

I believe instead what is meant that this will likely have an effect on daily lives and create a new form of normal, a large part of which I imagine will involve a more flexible form of working from home with regular office visits rather than commuting daily to a workplace to complete work which could be completed at home.

I really don’t see how these current restrictions could possibly last any more than 3-4 months (we’re almost 1 month in already) before we are forced to lift them due to the economy being unable to survive.

I think it’s likely the current arrangements will last for some weeks longer but with a relaxation at some point during May or June. However I can’t see the shielding restrictions being removed for some time unless there’s a miracle development on the vaccine front. Likewise elements of social distancing are going to be with us for some time too.

Public transport is going to be a problem associated with that - for as long as social distancing lasts our public transport capacity is going to be a fraction of what it normally would be, not to mention the further impact of staff shielding. This is going to be a very difficult problem to address.

tony_mac

Established Member
i don’t think Morrison’s deliver in my area tesco and asda do but it’s difficult to get a delivery slot. I will may give my support worker a call and ask if any services are available he informed me last week he was going on annual leave for a week so I could not contact him this week.
Morrisons food boxes are delivered by courier (dpd), so should be available anywhere.
AFAIK, Asda release their delivery slots at 10pm - they don't last very long, but I can still get one for next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.