When might night tube reopen?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SynthD

I thought the night tube was only coming back because TfL had agreed with the unions how it would be staffed. Was that true at one point?

bramling

Veteran Member
I thought the night tube was only coming back because TfL had agreed with the unions how it would be staffed. Was that true at one point?

The real issue is two things - firstly the review of pension arrangements instigated by the government as part of the financial package, and secondly a workstream looking at train crewing arrangements, which is also primarily an efficiency measure.

Both of these have the potential to be rather incendiary, especially if anything is done which affects pensions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kite159

Veteran Member

Wouldn't surprise me if the RMT originally agreed to a deal but decided to backtrack on acceptance of said deal to try and backmail TfL into giving them more money

Mawkie

Partly true; ASLEF agreed.

RMT did not agree with the staffing model, but agreed to postpone strike action whilst LUL agreed to investigate alternative models. LUL decided to impose rosters, hence the strike action being called.

LU_timetabler

Central, Vic and Jub are the end of this month (November).
Pic and Northern are postponed until major track work is complete.

LU_timetabler

Is that the Bank and South Kensington works?
Bank = yes. Picc has South Harrow Sidings expansion works, and several other ongoing works related to Picc Line Upgrade that need to be completed prior to Night Tube restarting.

ChrisC

Bank = yes. Picc has South Harrow Sidings expansion works, and several other ongoing works related to Picc Line Upgrade that need to be completed prior to Night Tube restarting.
From what I remember from my occasional visits to London, Northern Line night tube was only via Charing Cross and not Bank.

LU_timetabler

From what I remember from my occasional visits to London, Northern Line night tube was only via Charing Cross and not Bank.
It was indeed, but the line is still in the midst of complex duty rostering to ensure all drivers become familiar with the Battersea extension, and not just one depot's drivers. The Bank blockade plus this ongoing training make rostering Night Tube at the current time impracticable. Therefore Night Tube on the Northern will not happen until at least after the Bank blockade, though no definite date is yet known.

Wolfie

Established Member
Should be grateful it's opening up again - But 2 lines only. It's going to be packed !!

AND I wouldn't want to walk in the vicinity of any of the stations north of kings cross on the Victoria Line late at night

I suppose it makes the cab home a little cheaper.
What the heck is wrong, as someone who has lived in Islington since 1990, with the area around Highbury and Islington? I've been there at night time regularly and never seen any issues.

Mawkie

Seems like last night's relaunch of Night Tube wasn't the success it was supposed to be.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-102438.jpg
    Screenshot_20211127-102438.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 57

Djriley27

Last night they had planned to run empty trains throughout the night (On the Central line at least, not sure about the Victoria line) but that didn't happen. Not sure what's gong to happen tonight

Dstock7080

Established Member
Last night they had planned to run empty trains throughout the night (On the Central line at least, not sure about the Victoria line) but that didn't happen.
Empty services were planned on both Lines, with the hope of starting passenger Night Tube services tonight

Night Tube services operated overnight 27-28/11 on the Central and Victoria Lines.
7 Victoria trains operating at 0330
6 trains at 0430.

2 Central trains operated an irregular Leytonstone-Loughton shuttle, providing an approximate 25min service, although at times this dropped to 1 train 60min.
4 trains operated White City-Hainault via Newbury Park, provided an irregular 30min service.

Last edited: