• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When should I buy a Network Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnyFile

Good morning.

Do I need to have already bought a Network Railcard to be able (and allowed) to buy a ticket or can I buy a discounted ticket without already have the card and buy the card before the travel (at a railway station)?

I form abroad and I would like not to pay to have me delivered by post.

Thank you

Any File

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you buy a ticket at a station ticket office, you will probably have to show the Railcard to do so.

If you buy it anywhere else, e.g. a ticket vending machine or online, you won't, and therefore would only need to have the card before you start the journey.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, some train companies are keen to close ticket offices and/or reduce staff levels and therefore impose deterrents to reduce their use; purchasing online avoids this potential issue.

In the vast majority of cases there would be no benefit to purchasing a Network Railcard discounted ticket in advance though.

AnyFile

Thank you for your answers.

I may actually see small benefit by buying such ticket in advance: I do not have to queue to buy the ticket the day of travel and, if I buy enough in advance, it will be charged by my credit card not in the same month I am travelling, so its cost will not risk to max out my card

Status
Not open for further replies.