• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When this is all over....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamiescott1

I think they should 'postpone the early may bank holiday and then have it as a post lockdown bank holiday celebration.

I've already had my Easter and may half term holidays cancelled so first thing I will be looking to do is a holiday and get out of the country

Smidster

I think they should 'postpone the early may bank holiday and then have it as a post lockdown bank holiday celebration.

I've already had my Easter and may half term holidays cancelled so first thing I will be looking to do is a holiday and get out of the country

Given the early May bank Holiday has been moved from the 4th to the 8th for the 75th anniversary of VE day the timing could fit pretty well for being able to relax some of the restrictions - probably not to the extent of lots of National Mass Gatherings but maybe you can see your family again.

Domh245

Established Member
Get a hair cut.

I needed one just before we went into semi-lockdown; I'll be a right mess when the barbers reopen. Pony tail anyone?

+1 - my hair was getting to the point of "irritatingly long" before going into shutdown so it'll definitely need seeing to once shops start reopening!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I'm looking forward to once more travelling around the North of England watching Hereford FC lose every other week. Seems ages since I last did it but it's actually only 17 days ago (4-0 at Spennymoor if anyone's interested).

Didn't lower leagues play one week later than the Premier League and other higher leagues? (Albeit some behind closed doors)

PTR 444

Established Member
Given the early May bank Holiday has been moved from the 4th to the 8th for the 75th anniversary of VE day the timing could fit pretty well for being able to relax some of the restrictions - probably not to the extent of lots of National Mass Gatherings but maybe you can see your family again.

That sounds a good idea. In fact if this lockdown goes on for longer, i’d advocate allocating one day per month where some restrictions are lifted just for the day, so you can at least see friends and family for example. This like you said, could happen on VE Day then once every month after that.

3rd rail land

That sounds a good idea. In fact if this lockdown goes on for longer, i’d advocate allocating one day per month where some restrictions are lifted just for the day, so you can at least see friends and family for example. This like you said, could happen on VE Day then once every month after that.
I think a weekend would be a better idea. 2 days a month where you have some freedom and as it is a weekend more people will be off work unlike if it were a weekday.

Although I have a parent who lives in care home and I doubt they would life restrictions even if the Government allowed it 1 or 2 days a months as the residents are all old people so in the high risk category.

ChrisC

Established Member

As the peak of the virus in this country is not expected until around Easter, or even later, I don’t think the early May Day Bank Holiday is far enough away to lift restrictions. I really hope it is, but as things are going even the Spring Bank Holiday at end of May is before the date when those poor people who have to stay isolated indoors for 12 weeks have their restrictions lifted.

Perhaps one restriction that could be lifted could be travelling to visit elderly relatives whilst still keeping at least 2m apart. Even if they could just be visited on a warm day when they could meet in a garden or other open space at a distance. It’s very upsetting when they are facing the prospect of not seeing their family for perhaps months, especially those who are not in the best of health. Perhaps that would all be too difficult and complicated to allow. If only people could be trusted to be sensible. Unfortunately, I do worry that even this weekend when warmer weather is forecast some people will be out and about in large numbers ignoring the current restrictions again.

The first thing I will do when any lifting of restrictions happens is to take my mother who is in her 80’s to see my sister who lives just over an hours drive away. She’s really missing seeing her daughter even after only a few weeks.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Can't wait to be back in a signal box. The brightwork will need polishing and the Lino a wash and polish. Once 7.5.5 sent,off to the pub!

Desiro360

Looking forward to seeing some friends and ride on a train again when it is safe to do so. Will also be planning to take my Mum to a local cafe for coffee and cake as a late mothers day treat.

Jagdpanther

WHAT? We are not under restrictions because we have been naughty. We don't get a day off as a treat for good behaviour! Lift any restrictions for just a day and we help the virus spread and risk going backwards. The only way we can win this is to give the virus nowhere else to go - stay at home now and stop it spreading.Its hard I know but it is the only way

yorksrob

Veteran Member
When pressure on the NHS eases, I can see the point of perhaps allocating people different days when they could go out and about. This could potentially enable people to get out and about whilst controlling demand on public transport/at beauty spots etc.

Howardh

Established Member
Who knows, this might be like one of those horrible Science Fiction films that has no clear ending.............
people will simply start to break rank of their own accord. That will make the situation worse as it would be uncontrolled. So there has to be some relenting of the rules, even if it's gradual. My life's drifting away and I'm supposed to be out there travelling enjoying my early retirement, and I can only take so much.

TheSel

people will simply start to break rank of their own accord. That will make the situation worse as it would be uncontrolled. So there has to be some relenting of the rules, even if it's gradual. My life's drifting away and I'm supposed to be out there travelling enjoying my early retirement, and I can only take so much.

Absolutely correct - and one of the many conflicting pressures that the Government must take into account. You can only do so much with 'The Law'. If (or rather when), sooner or later a large enough minority decides to ignore the rules, you cannot enforce them any longer. Not condoning such behaviour, merely stating a fact of human nature.

trainophile

Established Member
WHAT? We are not under restrictions because we have been naughty. We don't get a day off as a treat for good behaviour! Lift any restrictions for just a day and we help the virus spread and risk going backwards. The only way we can win this is to give the virus nowhere else to go - stay at home now and stop it spreading.Its hard I know but it is the only way

Exactly. I can't see how others are still thinking this isolation is some sort of punishment, when it is to keep us alive.

One thing the media could do (I'm looking at you Daily Telegraph, plus others) is cancel the paywalls to read their papers. We don't want to risk going out to buy a paper and the online news is always rather patchy. How about it Fleet Street (or whatever the modern equivalent is)?

Bobdogs

On Moderation
Get a hair cut.

I needed one just before we went into semi-lockdown; I'll be a right mess when the barbers reopen. Pony tail anyone?
Go online for hair clippers. Many available including beard trimmers from around £12 half the price of a haircut? Last time I went to barbers was 1997. Just wish I had saved all the money I would have spent on haircuts, shampoo and conditioner in that time.

As for what I will be doing when restrictions are lifted. I am looking forward to walking the Pembrokeshire coast path and playing ball with the dog on the beach again.

Howardh

Established Member
Exactly. I can't see how others are still thinking this isolation is some sort of punishment, when it is to keep us alive.

One thing the media could do (I'm looking at you Daily Telegraph, plus others) is cancel the paywalls to read their papers. We don't want to risk going out to buy a paper and the online news is always rather patchy. How about it Fleet Street (or whatever the modern equivalent is)?
Anything that prevents people from reading the Daily Torygraph can only be a good thing....

Typhoon

Established Member
Perhaps something special on VJ day (August 15), when the war really finished for some?

Jimini

Established Member

They're already down massively on revenue due to advertising clients pulling their bookings, and newsstand (print) sales are down about 25-30% on a comparable period. The industry needs that digital revenue more than ever at the moment I'm afraid!

telstarbox

Established Member
The Guardian have a good solution to this - no paywall but you can subscribe as a 'supporter'. This gives you some benefits e.g. no ads.

Local news sites have made a rod for their own back with intrusive adverts that cover the screen or automatically play sound....

trainophile

Established Member
The Guardian have a good solution to this - no paywall but you can subscribe as a 'supporter'. This gives you some benefits e.g. no ads.

Local news sites have made a rod for their own back with intrusive adverts that cover the screen or automatically play sound....

Yes, some of them won't let you read the articles unless you disable your Ad blocker. Afraid I can't be bothered with that.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Go online for hair clippers. Many available including beard trimmers from around £12 half the price of a haircut? Last time I went to barbers was 1997. Just wish I had saved all the money I would have spent on haircuts, shampoo and conditioner in that time.

I have a beard trimmer, but don't think the results of me trying to cut my own hair would be very tidy..... o_O :lol:

I'd end up with multiple mohawks.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The Guardian have a good solution to this...

My nephew has found a good solution and has resorted using it as toilet paper since he ran out. He had a word with the bloke who drives the Menzies van gave him a load, not bad when yesterday's unsold papers are skipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.