• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When Trains change platforms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight2004

Just on the 1330 to Birmingham From Marylebone, 3 minutes before departure they announced a train change and platform. Whilst this could have been for any reasons is this fair? We are now all cramped like sardines onto a train with fewer carriages, the original platform was announced at 1308? If the train gets hit for punctuality, then they only have themselves to blame, shame i've always liked/trusted Chiltern trains!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crewmeal

You should have been at Wolverhampton this morning. Utter chaos with the wires down at Crewe, platform alterations were many!. Wanting to go to Crewe I was on Platform 1 and was told to catch the Glasgow train on Platform 4 which mean climbing up and round the spiral staircase to the new platform 4 to catch the voyager only to be told it's taking the avoiding line at Crewe and won't be stopping. That meant backtracking to platform 1 again to catch another voyager and change at Stafford. I then had to change platforms again at Stafford to catch a pendo which had a 57 attached to it. (The London - Holyhead service) Needless to say it was standing room only to Crewe.

Not a good day for the WCML.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Without knowing what the fault was with the original train is it impossible to apportion 'blame'.

However the train is reported to be on time now.

knight2004

i think its down by 3 minutes, which is fine still gives me plenty of time to get to New St. Next challenge, will my 1:02 train to Crewe be running now they say the line is back and working, but i imagine there are still delays and stock/ drivers out of place? i'm on a cheap advanced to Manchester but have to go via Crewe as stated

dvboy

Established Member
You should have been at Wolverhampton this morning. Utter chaos with the wires down at Crewe, platform alterations were many!. Wanting to go to Crewe I was on Platform 1 and was told to catch the Glasgow train on Platform 4 which mean climbing up and round the spiral staircase to the new platform 4 to catch the voyager only to be told it's taking the avoiding line at Crewe and won't be stopping. That meant backtracking to platform 1 again to catch another voyager and change at Stafford. I then had to change platforms again at Stafford to catch a pendo which had a 57 attached to it. (The London - Holyhead service) Needless to say it was standing room only to Crewe.

Not a good day for the WCML.

Strange for a northbound train to be leaving from platform 4, unless they terminated the previous southbound there short. That would have forced everything southbound to use 2 and 3, and 2 is usually blocked by the Euston train for more than half of every hour.

greg tingey

A lot of this sort of thing is Notwonk Fail's fault - they employ the signallers, after all.

It happens a LOT at Paddington, where the game of "musical platforms" is a constant source of amusement (or not, if you miss your train!)

Poggs

Just on the 1330 to Birmingham From Marylebone, 3 minutes before departure they announced a train change and platform. Whilst this could have been for any reasons is this fair? We are now all cramped like sardines onto a train with fewer carriages, the original platform was announced at 1308? If the train gets hit for punctuality, then they only have themselves to blame, shame i've always liked/trusted Chiltern trains!

It could be any number of things:

- The driver of the original train found a fault shortly before departure, and they decided to use another train to run the service
- A signalling fault may mean that the signaller was unable to clear the signal to let the train depart, which only came to light shortly before the train was due to depart
- The wrong platform was advertised and it was only realised shortly before departure

Would you rather Chiltern have cancelled the train outright?

GB

Established Member
A lot of this sort of thing is Notwonk Fail's fault - they employ the signallers, after all.

It happens a LOT at Paddington, where the game of "musical platforms" is a constant source of amusement (or not, if you miss your train!)

There are any number of reasons why a signaller might replatform a train. If your suggesting they do it just for a laugh then I reckon you know little about what your talking about.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
There are any number of reasons why a signaller might replatform a train. If your suggesting they do it just for a laugh then I reckon you know little about what your talking about.

I think they were being sarcastic

AlanFry1

You should see what it's like on the Northside Thameslink line when platform changes are made practically announced at the last minute causing people to run like hell to make it (if their lucky).

VP185

At the start of every day all operators know what platforms trains will depart from and what sets/units they will be.
If disruption occurs, it's a case the signallers will platform as they see fit to keep things moving as quickly as possible. As one train vacates a platform the next one will be signalled in and that's why you get last minute platform changes.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It's unlikely you will miss a last minute alteration like this if you are at a terminal station. The driver has to walk around to the new platform too, and trust me, he wont be busting a gut to get there.

oversteer

It's unlikely you will miss a last minute alteration like this if you are at a terminal station. The driver has to walk around to the new platform too, and trust me, he wont be busting a gut to get there.

The crowds will be running to the new train whether the doors are open or not!

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Yeah, I find it quite comical at times. Whenever this happens to one of my trains people will inevitably ask me what is going on (which is perfectly reasonable) and I always tell them not to panic as their train isnt going anywhere unless I am on it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.