• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will the Class 150's start doing the Reading to Basingstoke route?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I've noticed as well 001 & 002 are on paper based at Reading (RG). Is this just for operational purposes in order to get training etc. done before they start timetable workings on the Reading-Basingstoke route, or is it permanent? Just seems strange just 2 of their fleet are based at Reading, with the rest shared between Bristol St Phillips Marsh & Exeter.

I think as they are both different they are keeping them at reading. It was seen as an effective use of two 'oddballs' within the 150 fleet.

Even at a 150 depot i think they are different mechanically so it isn't that big a deal.

Turbostar

Just seems to me as well, FGW have gone out of their way to make these 2 units *special*, seeing as they are the 2 pioneer/prototype Class 150 units. Lets hope then they look after them, & don't run them into the ground, let them go all shabby etc.

150 has a top speed of 75; 166 has a top speed of 90.

Ok, what is the line speed between Reading & Basingstoke?

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
75, it seems... maybe the extra minutes are to do with 150s' poorer acceleration compared to 166s then.

Just seems to me as well, FGW have gone out of their way to make these 2 units *special*, seeing as they are the 2 pioneer/prototype Class 150 units. Lets hope then they look after them, & don't run them into the ground, let them go all shabby etc.

Ok, what is the line speed between Reading & Basingstoke?

I think as they are both different they are keeping them at reading. It was seen as an effective use of two 'oddballs' within the 150 fleet.

Even at a 150 depot i think they are different mechanically so it isn't that big a deal.

I noticed on their website FGW issued a revised timetable 6 for Reading - Basingstoke from 6 Feb. I've not compared them in great detail, but it looks as though some end to end times have been extended by a minute for the 150s?

I wouldnt for another week or two - whether or not this is true, but the 17th seems to have been mooted, presumably until the arrival of 002.

Though FGW seems to have lived up to one statement on the poster, we do seem to be getting more 3 car operated services now, with 165117 & 165114 (3 cars) both out and about on the branch over the last couple of days :)

Firstly, and annoyingly this post will be alot shorter than the planned first one, thanks to the error.

Right, im now told 150001 is likely to make a return next week on the Basingstoke to Reading services, so watch this space...

As for the Class 150s acceleration - Don't forget that they are powered by a Cummins NT855R5 with a rating of 286 hp per engine per coach, as opposed to the Roles Royce Perkins 2006-TWH Diesel 350 hp - So that extra 64 HP does give the 165s some advantage time and acceleration wise compared to the 150s.

Reading to Basingstoke timetable wise hasn't changed that much, apart from the xx:37 services are now xx:36 - This giving some slack in the timetables for things such as the disabled ramp, which is located in the Reading end of the unit, as well as any potential delays en route - unfortunately, without the extra 64 hp, it does give mean the 150s are more susceptible to picking up delays erne route.

And as for 150001 & 2 becoming shabby and unloved - I doubt things will ever get to that stage. Reading is rather good with their units, and apart from day to day workhorse wear and tear i very much doubt that they will be let to get into a state at all. :)

fgwrich

Established Member
Nope, no new news as of yet, although it should be arriving back at Reading within the next few weeks.

Speaking of FGW Class 150 refurbishments, Class 150101 has now entered refurbishment taking 57202, 57209 & 57212s place in LNWR Barton Hill.

SprinterMan

Established Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl3eIxkqpZY

Now reformed 3 Car 150127 out and about on the Cardiff to Paignton service.

It's interesting the (former) drivers door on the 150/2 centre car wasn't repainted pink like all the other doors, as it can be used as a normal door from now on (central painted it yellow). Do we know why this is? Also why does the 150/2 centre car retain its snow plough?

judethegreat

There seems to be confusion over 165s and 166s. Yes, 166s have a top speed of 90, but it is 165s that do the Reading Basingstoke, which have top speed of 75

SprinterMan

Established Member
There seems to be confusion over 165s and 166s. Yes, 166s have a top speed of 90, but it is 165s that do the Reading Basingstoke, which have top speed of 75

FGW operate 165/1s, which have a top speed of 90mph. Chiltern operate 165/0s, which have a top speed of 75mph.

newtownmgr

Always 90. Thames had a few 165/0's for a few years but I think they are all back with Chiltern.

TEW

Established Member
150001 was in service today, on the usual inter-peak diagram from 1007 to 1707. Should be doing the same next week on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

judethegreat

How do they work, and would it simply be a matter of fitting them to upgrade a (any?) unit to 90mph? (probably a daft question, but worth asking anyway..)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
You need to have something suitable to attach it to on the body and on the bogie- though one would assume that on the 165s, welding on the mounts wouldn't be too hard given that some already have them. this is useful perhaps? They basically use a piston with a closed loop of hyradualic fluid and constricting valves to slow the movement

RPM

Established Member
My understanding (and I'm a driver not an engineer!) is that the transmission would have to be replaced in order to upgrade the 165/0s to 90mph. If it was just a matter of fitting yaw dampers to the existing brackets they would certainly have done the upgrade already.

TEW

Established Member
Should be a 150 out every day this week on the normal diagram.

It's interesting the (former) drivers door on the 150/2 centre car wasn't repainted pink like all the other doors, as it can be used as a normal door from now on (central painted it yellow). Do we know why this is? Also why does the 150/2 centre car retain its snow plough?

When this formation was used on the 150/1s up here in the West mids, you could use the centre door so I'm sure FGW would do the same!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Partly relevant is that 150125 now has high intensity lights after the refurbishment after watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ8OQzCXdx0

But 150126 has still got the older headlights along with 150001. It will interesting to see if 150101 retains its old lights or gets the new high intensity.

Captain Chaos

Should be a 150 out every day this week on the normal diagram.

Indeed. Rumours abound too that there will be a 150 all day from first till last bar a few midday services on both shuttles.

Sadly my source isn't entirely reliable so don't take my word for it. But that is what I have heard.

Michael.Y

Established Member
I've seen 150121 nearly every day this past week - it's haunting me! Saw it last Wednesday at 17:00 at CDF, then again today at 0700 at NWP, and numerous places inbetween.

TEW

Established Member
Would either of the 150's be running this weekend?

No 150 use planned at weekends on Reading-Basingstoke services at all. Same is true after about 2100 each day. In the long term the two 150s are planned to be used in the Bristol area at weekends.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've seen 150121 nearly every day this past week - it's haunting me! Saw it last Wednesday at 17:00 at CDF, then again today at 0700 at NWP, and numerous places inbetween.

The two hybrid three car units are permanently allocated to two diagrams which mainly operate Cardiff-Taunton services, so you will see them lots on that route.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
No 150 use planned at weekends on Reading-Basingstoke services at all. Same is true after about 2100 each day. In the long term the two 150s are planned to be used in the Bristol area at weekends.
So they'll operate the line they've been acquired for M-F, do a fairly lengthy ECD transfer Friday night, run around Bristol for the weekend, then run ECS back to Reading on Sunday night?

Status
Not open for further replies.