• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(When) Will the COVID dashboard be made redundant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Given that the roadmap thread has now been closed and there was various discussion on the COVID dashboard therein, does anybody think that the Government will stop publishing stats from the 17th of May or the 21st of June?

Deaths are now averaging 12 per day - possibly single digits in England as a standalone, and while there has been a marginal uptick in cases during the second half of this week, it could just be caused by Bank Holiday lag. Either way it's only gone up from 2,020 on Wednesday to 2,060 today. Hardly a massive jump, and it isn't translating to more deaths either.

The third point is hospitalizations and people on ventilation, which are both on a gradual but consistent decline.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
Yes it should be shut off as COVID is now endemic and is far less important than many of the other illnesses out there to warrant this attention. But I doubt it will.

I also think they need to split the numbers into seasons, as they do for 'flu - i.e. Sept 1st to August 31st maybe, and not showing the figures totalled from the start.

Domh245

Established Member
For as long as Covid remains notifiable, PHE (and equivalent in Scotland/Wales/NI) have to collect the data, and it's not much more work to push this data in the APIs that produce the dashboard. I wouldn't expect any changes to the content of the dashboard however

That said, as numbers dwindle away, people will inevitably lose interest and it'll sort of just fizzle out, long before it's stopped properly

Jamesrob637

Established Member
For as long as Covid remains notifiable, PHE (and equivalent in Scotland/Wales/NI) have to collect the data, and it's not much more work to push this data in the APIs that produce the dashboard. I wouldn't expect any changes to the content of the dashboard however

That said, as numbers dwindle away, people will inevitably lose interest and it'll sort of just fizzle out, long before it's stopped properly

I'll probs stop following it myself after the 17th.

Only 5 reported deaths today and it's not even a Sunday or Monday. Cases very slightly up but not worryingly so. Hospitalizations down below 1,200 for all nations - definitely only three digits in England now.

brad465

Established Member
I doubt it will go after May 17th, as not everything is over by then, and they'll want to monitor things after that easement so would make sense to keep it up. I think it'll be a tossup between June 21st and whatever date everyone eligible is fully vaccinated by, at which point they might archive it.

As another aside the ONS are still doing weekly infection surveys and really these also need to go, or at least keep them as an alternative to the covid dashboard, given weekly flu surveys are a thing.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Only 5 reported deaths today and it's not even a Sunday or Monday. Cases very slightly up but not worryingly so. Hospitalizations down below 1,200 for all nations - definitely only three digits in England now.

Dashboard has Friday (7th May) data for total in hospital in England.
Total is 973

cuccir

Established Member
Hopefully they'll go the other way: keep it, but start producing this or similiar interfaces for other diseases as well. Perhaps not keeping it quite as comprehensive as the dashboard has been but this could be an opportunity to improve public health data sharing and visualization.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Well the seven-day rolling average is 6 which is the lowest it's ever been. Okay it did have to exceed 6 at the very beginning of the pandemic, however you're talking 15th of March 2020 there.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I suspect the Covid dashboard will probably be reduced - the day to day figures will probably be reduced to a week to week tally, then maybe a month to month one in the future.

I cannot see the dashboard being scrapped as long as Covid is exists and by the speculation from the likes of Chris Whitty and the Scientists they are predicting Covid to be around a long time to come so I reckon there will be some sort of reduced dashboard.

CJ

Darandio

Established Member
I cannot see the dashboard being scrapped as long as Covid is exists and by the speculation from the likes of Chris Whitty and the Scientists they are predicting Covid to be around a long time to come so I reckon there will be some sort of reduced dashboard.

Covid will be around for a long time to come, it won't just disappear and cannot be just vanquished from existence.

Make the Covid one yearly, just like most other death tallies that are used in the mainstream and will kill many more people than Covid ever will.

kristiang85

Established Member
I suspect the Covid dashboard will probably be reduced - the day to day figures will probably be reduced to a week to week tally, then maybe a month to month one in the future.

CJ

Well there's the influenza reports; I suspect it will just be merged with that (well, it already has, but it will probably become the primary source of figures).

peters

On Moderation
Yes it should be shut off as COVID is now endemic and is far less important than many of the other illnesses out there to warrant this attention. But I doubt it will.

There's been a number of things the government can't really say it handled well about the pandemic but if we continue to have a higher vaccine rollout rate and lower number of cases compared to other countries then that will be something the government will want to publicise, not something they will want to hide.

Of course putting it on gov.uk doesn't mean the journalists have to use that information. I notice BBC News at 6 seems to report the full summary every day but other news outlets don't routinely report everything everyday.

In the news today there's reports of a 'Yorkshire variant' which has also been detected in Greece. If that becomes a variant of concern then some of the news outlets not reporting all the stats everyday might report them more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.