• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where am I?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
To hopefully move things along, I've now removed much cropping from the image to include more detail of the surrounding area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That looks like Helmsdale to me?

( I was doing a Google Maps flyover of the entire Far North Line only three or four days ago...!!! :lol: )

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is the question setter going to confirm or otherwise the answer, please?

( I do have an image prepared... )

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thank you, and yes - pure chance... I'd been reading the discussion on this forum about the Far North Line and thought I might as well have another look at it...

I guess you were doing the same for the same reason and that's why you chose that location?

Anyway...

Here's the next one, and also the first time I have actually taken the floor on this thread.

Where am I image.jpg

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Nearly a week and no takers?!

Well... if you need a clue, those who are architecturally minded with a knowledge of history would do well to look carefully at the road immediately above the station in the image. There's a blindingly obvious clue...

madjack

It's not jumping out :'(, although that road shape looks very distinctive... If no winners in the next couple of days could you give us a region?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's not jumping out :'(, although that road shape looks very distinctive... If no winners in the next couple of days could you give us a region?

Yes, if nobody is getting warm by then I will give a further clue. I don't think the road shape itself is distinctive, though - note that I used the word "architecturally"...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
OK... looks like it's clue time...

The image is carefully cropped; it is nowhere near as urban / suburban as it looks...

backontrack

Established Member
Thank you, and yes - pure chance... I'd been reading the discussion on this forum about the Far North Line and thought I might as well have another look at it...

I guess you were doing the same for the same reason and that's why you chose that location?

Here's the next one, and also the first time I have actually taken the floor on this thread.

Congratulations!

I just decided on Helmsdale, it wasn't to do with any discussion actually. The Far North Line is a railway very close to my heart :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not Esher...

I have to say that all the guesses so far have been in the right corner of the country though, but not far enough out.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Given the number of clues I have given, plus the obvious orientation of the line from the image and shadows, I am surprised that people haven't at least started listing all the stations on the line in question!

madjack

Well played Dan, I thought Whitstable this morning but missed Westgate... :s

What was the architectural clue?

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Dan's got it. It wasn't that hard really was it? :smile:

The architectural clue is, it is one only about three or four places left in the UK ( we had a thread on the subject a couple of years ago ) which still have Victorian street canopies - they are visible in the image just above the station.

Seen better in Streetview, obviously: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3...4!1sfykVGeWR28JGoFKim7X6Cg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Anyway... Dan... your coastal resort.