• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where are large areas of jointed track (formerly: Bolted Track)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
There's definitely a fair bit of jointed track on the Barnstaple line. Makes for an interesting ride when on a 143 as I found out yesterday - I didn't have any back problems before the journey. :lol:

In all seriousness, definitely lively, glad I decided against bringing a hot drink on the way back; would have ended up with most of it in my lap!

Rich_D3167

On the subjest of the Ormskirk branch line, a lot of it is still jointed. When I travelled along it a couple of weeks ago on the Pathfinder tour, it made for a pleasant trip.

The Barton-on-Humber branch line has quite a lot still between Ulceby & Barton (although some was replaced about a year ago), and also on the single line chord between Habrough Junction & Ulceby.

Skegness way, Boston to Skegness should be mostly welded rail now, as it was all renewed with recycled track a few years ago. Boston to Grantham still has a fair amount, though.

kieron

Established Member
Bidston to Shotton has significant stretches of jointed track, although I cannot yet vouch for the route south of the latter.
Yes. You can sometimes hear trains on the jointed track between Shotton and Hawarden from over a mile away if the wind is right. I suppose these are freight trains, but I can't actually see them from there.

There is a bit of continuous track between Upton and Bidston, but that may be all.

craigybagel

Established Member
All of the heart of wales north of Llanwrtyd is jointed, all the way to the main line at Craven Arms. I assume it's the same south as well but I don't sign down there....

davsarg

Well I travelled on the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh line last Friday. 2 hrs and 40 mins and clickety-clack all the way - Absolutely wonderful!

Jamesb1974

Llandudno Jct to Blaenau Ffestiniog is all jointed, except for 2 short stretches of CWR. The rails of which were originally on the Woodhead route.

Amazing! Makes you wonder where other sections of the network started their life!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There was a fair amount of track renewed on the Kent Coast lines in preparation for the chunnel, some of which may or may not have been life expired. I wonder if any of this ended up reused elsewhere ?

Status
Not open for further replies.