• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where does Red Star survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
It's been several years since Red Star was closed down by Lynx Parcels, who themselves are now under the UPS banner. But, we all remember the "Parcels Points" in BR days don't we?

So, where in 2015 does Red star signage still exist? There can't be that many. A photo on Flickr shows signage at Stafford. Alas, sometime between July 2011 and November 2012, that sign was removed!

The other question is, at the former Red star stations, what are the old parcels points used for now? Kirkcaldy is now the lift from the down platform to the subway, and the associated machinery! Dunfermline's parcels point is now a taxi operators office. What else are Parcels points used for nowadays?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Funnily enough, I saw Red Star referenced today on 'Keeping Up Appearances' when Hyacinth berates a BR employee for losing a Sea Commodore with the statement "I hope you don't get transferred to Red Star" :lol:

I'm also pretty sure there was a sign still at Bolton last time I saw.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
If I recall correctly, the Red Star office at Stockport was located on platform 1, coming up from the subway it was to the right at the top of the steps, think it may be a Virgin customer services office now.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Southampton down side building still had Red Star exterior signage within the last year or so, but I'd have to check if it is still there. Still showing on Google street view.

Last edited:

tocguard

Derby had red star direction signs for road traffic combined on the same sign as car park directions until this year when they were replaced.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Brighton still has it on a pole just outside the station, if it hasn't been removed yet.

EDIT: I get the feeling the parcels point was on the disused platform opposite platform 1. That's where an FCC office was (no idea if still Thameslink utilise it).

Last edited:

NSEFAN

Established Member
swt_passenger said:
Southampton down side building still had Red Star exterior signage within the last year or so, but I'd have to check if it is still there. Still showing on Google street view.
Long gone I'm afraid, that part of the building has been let to Doddle, who have replaced the Red Star sign with their own branding.

Great Yarmouth still had signs for Red Star when I went this summer.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Reading had a sign before the rebuild (possibly still one hiding in the carpark?) and there's several road signs directing drivers to "<BR symbol> Parcels" on the ringroad.

james60059

Coventry had one for quite a while, but I think it went a few years ago when the new car park went up. For the record, I use to work at Lynx between 2001 and 2003 at their Nuneaton depot :)

Greeby

Last edited:

noddingdonkey

There is a small sign on what I think is now an emergency exit from the booking office at Huddersfield.

Tracked

Established Member
There used to be one outside Lincoln station entrance, I'm sure it was still there mid-00's but not if it's still there though

JaJaWa

Established Member
A few of the former Red Star buildings in the south are now used by their successor, Doodle, which is nice!

acg5324

Brighton still has it on a pole just outside the station, if it hasn't been removed yet.

EDIT: I get the feeling the parcels point was on the disused platform opposite platform 1. That's where an FCC office was (no idea if still Thameslink utilise it).

The parcels point was where the current toilets are at Brighton and also extended into the buildings that are now the Travel Centre.

Andyjs247

The sign still survives in Oxford but (along with those parcels vans
which haven't moved for about 30 years) I expect it will be gone soon.

lincolnshire

Doncaster station Red Star Office is now used as a the station taxi office and all that remains is the outside sign,s illuminated sign framework which has been transformed into an illuminated sign for the station taxi service instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.