• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where is the busiest single line section on the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S&CLER

Back in 2012 there was a thread, now closed, on single lines that should be doubled. None of the posters gave any details that would allow you to identify which single line carried the most traffic. Does anyone have the answer to this question, expressed either in terms of train movements or tonnage? It's just a guess, but I would imagine parts of the Felixstowe branch and the single line section through Soham might come at or near the top in tonnage terms, if not in train movements. Of course, it doesn't necessarily follow that the single line with the heaviest tonnage or most frequent trains must be the one that would be most operationally useful to (re-)double.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Back in 2012 there was a thread, now closed, on single lines that should be doubled. None of the posters gave any details that would allow you to identify which single line carried the most traffic. Does anyone have the answer to this question, expressed either in terms of train movements or tonnage? It's just a guess, but I would imagine parts of the Felixstowe branch and the single line section through Soham might come at or near the top in tonnage terms, if not in train movements. Of course, it doesn't necessarily follow that the single line with the heaviest tonnage or most frequent trains must be the one that would be most operationally useful to (re-)double.

I know Chafford Hundred Lakeside is the busiest single platform station on the network with 2.9 million passengers. Does the felixstowe line might well be up there.

lxfe_mxtterz

I'm not entirely sure whether it's a single line or not, but potentially the Merseyrail Wirral Line loop around Liverpool city centre?

And another, technically not a "single line", but the section joining Hinchley Wood to the South Western Main Line is split into two quite significant single track sections, as shown below.

8B90711F-9117-4CE0-90C0-C0E894A047CC.jpeg

I assume that these lines are pretty busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.